Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Kirby

  • Alan and/or Judy
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
      Actually I lived in Berkley, born in 1955. My father was a postman in Birmingham. Lyle Russell.
      My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. She was a war bride moved to the USA in 1945.
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
        Indeed! My mother and I would go to Windsor to purchase British groceries. Been through the tunnel many a time. Are you from Windsor? My fiancé is from Canada.

        Small world indeed! I live in Windsor, Ontario, just across the river
        from Detroit, so close to these communities you mention.
        St. Helena seems like a different world....... ...

        Adele

        --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "lilliankw1"
        <lilliankw1@ ...> wrote:

        > Small, small world!!! I grew up in Royal Oak from 6 months old
        until
        > I married in 1947. Then I lived in Birmingham until I moved to
        > Florida in 1968. You probably weren't even born yet.
        >
        > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "Alan and/or Judy"
        > <aruss11@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

      • Alan and/or Judy
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
          Newfoundland. She moved to the US in 1995.
          Yes, born and raised here, as was my husband. His mother was born in Woolwich, in England but her gt-grandmother was the one who was born on St. Helena.
          Where is your fiancé from?

          <lilliankw1@ ...> wrote:

          > Small, small world!!! I grew up in Royal Oak from 6 months old
          until
          > I married in 1947. Then I lived in Birmingham until I moved to
          > Florida in 1968. You probably weren't even born yet.
          >
          > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "Alan and/or Judy"
          > <aruss11@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

        • amclenn1
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007

            <lilliankw1@...> wrote:

            > Small, small world!!! I grew up in Royal Oak from 6 months old
            until
            > I married in 1947. Then I lived in Birmingham until I moved to
            > Florida in 1968. You probably weren't even born yet.
            >
            > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Alan and/or Judy"
            > <aruss11@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

          • Adele
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007

              <lilliankw1@ ...> wrote:

              > Small, small world!!! I grew up in Royal Oak from 6 months old
              until
              > I married in 1947. Then I lived in Birmingham until I moved to
              > Florida in 1968. You probably weren't even born yet.
              >
              > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "Alan and/or Judy"
              > <aruss11@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

            • Alan and/or Judy
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                Good for you! Happy to help out :-)
                Did you see the pictures of my Grandfather on the cricket and football teams?
                My mother has some more photos of St. Helena but they are in Berkley. I'll get them all on line ASAP. (it may be a while)
                I asked my father if he know you. He asked what street you lived on in Birmingham.
                Alan
                Alan, Thanks for the tip on the East India site. I found out that my
                ggg grandfather, William Kirby married Ann Thompson in 1827. I knew
                her name was Ann, but not her maiden name or date of marriage. That's
                all they had, but I'm a happy camper!

                <aruss11@... > wrote:

                > Actually I lived in Berkley, born in 1955. My father was a postman
                in Birmingham. Lyle Russell.
                > My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. She was a war
                bride moved to the USA in 1945.

              • lilliankw1
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007

                  <aruss11@...> wrote:

                  > Actually I lived in Berkley, born in 1955. My father was a postman
                  in Birmingham. Lyle Russell.
                  > My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. She was a war
                  bride moved to the USA in 1945.

                • lilliankw1
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                    You are in my "kids" age group. I had cousins who lived in Berkley.
                    Also relatives in Windsor and Montreal.

                    <aruss11@...> wrote:

                    > Actually I lived in Berkley, born in 1955. My father was a postman
                    in Birmingham. Lyle Russell.
                    > My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. She was a war
                    bride moved to the USA in 1945.

                  • lilliankw1
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                      I lived on Windemere St. between Edinborough and St Andrews, one
                      block from the Somerset Apartments and Coolidge Road. My last name was
                      Masta then.
                      Your pictures are great! My dad was a Mason. I also have a photo of
                      his brother's cricket team taken about 1914. Unfortunately, he was
                      killed in World War I. I found his grandson online in Australia and
                      now we email back and forth.