Kirby

  • Lillian White
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hi, I am a new member.  My great-great grandfather, Thomas Kirby was born on St Helena in 1831. His father, William was born in Ireland, but his mother, Ann, (nee?) was also born on St Helena.  He may have had a brother William John. He had a sister, Martha "Caroline", born Nov. 8, 1827 on St. H. and a brother Henry, born 1834 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.  Father William was retired from the East India Company.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm 80 years old and live in the States, so my research is limited.  :)
      Lillian Kirby White

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Alan and/or Judy
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
        Hello Lillian,
        Did you look at the East India website? Try this link.
        Where do you live?
        Alan
        Hi, I am a new member.  My great-great grandfather, Thomas Kirby was born on St Helena in 1831. His father, William was born in Ireland, but his mother, Ann, (nee?) was also born on St Helena.  He may have had a brother William John. He had a sister, Martha "Caroline", born Nov. 8, 1827 on St. H. and a brother Henry, born 1834 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.  Father William was retired from the East India Company.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm 80 years old and live in the States, so my research is limited.  :)
        Lillian Kirby White

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

      • Lillian White
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
          Thanks so much! I'll check it out.
          I live in Tampa, Florida....before that Michigan.
          You?

          --- Alan and/or Judy <aruss11@...> wrote:

          > Hello Lillian,
          > Did you look at the East India website? Try this
          > link.
          > http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/
          > Where do you live?
          > Alan

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Alan and/or Judy
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
            I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

            --- Alan and/or Judy <aruss11@cox. net> wrote:

            > Hello Lillian,
            > Did you look at the East India website? Try this
            > link.
            > http://indiafamily. bl.uk/UI/
            > Where do you live?
            > Alan

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

          • Alan and/or Judy
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
              Actually I lived in Berkley, born in 1955. My father was a postman in Birmingham. Lyle Russell.
              My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. She was a war bride moved to the USA in 1945.
              Small, small world!!! I grew up in Royal Oak from 6 months old until
              I married in 1947. Then I lived in Birmingham until I moved to
              Florida in 1968. You probably weren't even born yet.

              --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "Alan and/or Judy"
              <aruss11@... > wrote:

              > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

            • Alan and/or Judy
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                Indeed! My mother and I would go to Windsor to purchase British groceries. Been through the tunnel many a time. Are you from Windsor? My fiancé is from Canada.

                Small world indeed! I live in Windsor, Ontario, just across the river
                from Detroit, so close to these communities you mention.
                St. Helena seems like a different world....... ...

                Adele

                --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "lilliankw1"
                <lilliankw1@ ...> wrote:

                > Small, small world!!! I grew up in Royal Oak from 6 months old
                until
                > I married in 1947. Then I lived in Birmingham until I moved to
                > Florida in 1968. You probably weren't even born yet.
                >
                > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "Alan and/or Judy"
                > <aruss11@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

              • Alan and/or Judy
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                  Newfoundland. She moved to the US in 1995.
                  Yes, born and raised here, as was my husband. His mother was born in Woolwich, in England but her gt-grandmother was the one who was born on St. Helena.
                  Where is your fiancé from?

                  <lilliankw1@ ...> wrote:

                  > Small, small world!!! I grew up in Royal Oak from 6 months old
                  until
                  > I married in 1947. Then I lived in Birmingham until I moved to
                  > Florida in 1968. You probably weren't even born yet.
                  >
                  > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "Alan and/or Judy"
                  > <aruss11@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

                • lilliankw1
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007

                    <aruss11@...> wrote:

                    > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

                  • amclenn1
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007

                      <lilliankw1@...> wrote:

                      > Small, small world!!! I grew up in Royal Oak from 6 months old
                      until
                      > I married in 1947. Then I lived in Birmingham until I moved to
                      > Florida in 1968. You probably weren't even born yet.
                      >
                      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Alan and/or Judy"
                      > <aruss11@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

                    • Adele
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007

                        <lilliankw1@ ...> wrote:

                        > Small, small world!!! I grew up in Royal Oak from 6 months old
                        until
                        > I married in 1947. Then I lived in Birmingham until I moved to
                        > Florida in 1968. You probably weren't even born yet.
                        >
                        > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "Alan and/or Judy"
                        > <aruss11@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm in Louisiana, before that Michigan. Royal Oak area.

                      • Alan and/or Judy
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                          Good for you! Happy to help out :-)
                          Did you see the pictures of my Grandfather on the cricket and football teams?
                          My mother has some more photos of St. Helena but they are in Berkley. I'll get them all on line ASAP. (it may be a while)
                          I asked my father if he know you. He asked what street you lived on in Birmingham.
                          Alan
                          Alan, Thanks for the tip on the East India site. I found out that my
                          ggg grandfather, William Kirby married Ann Thompson in 1827. I knew
                          her name was Ann, but not her maiden name or date of marriage. That's
                          all they had, but I'm a happy camper!

                          <aruss11@... > wrote:

                          > Actually I lived in Berkley, born in 1955. My father was a postman
                          in Birmingham. Lyle Russell.
                          > My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. She was a war
                          bride moved to the USA in 1945.

                        • lilliankw1
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007

                            <aruss11@...> wrote:

                            > Actually I lived in Berkley, born in 1955. My father was a postman
                            in Birmingham. Lyle Russell.
                            > My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. She was a war
                            bride moved to the USA in 1945.

                          • lilliankw1
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                              You are in my "kids" age group. I had cousins who lived in Berkley.
                              Also relatives in Windsor and Montreal.

                              <aruss11@...> wrote:

                              > Actually I lived in Berkley, born in 1955. My father was a postman
                              in Birmingham. Lyle Russell.
                              > My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. She was a war
                              bride moved to the USA in 1945.

                            • lilliankw1
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                                I lived on Windemere St. between Edinborough and St Andrews, one
                                block from the Somerset Apartments and Coolidge Road. My last name was
                                Masta then.
                                Your pictures are great! My dad was a Mason. I also have a photo of
                                his brother's cricket team taken about 1914. Unfortunately, he was
                                killed in World War I. I found his grandson online in Australia and
                                now we email back and forth.