Sea Disaster

  • kara_rainford
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2007
      Hello, I am doing family research and found out that my great Grandad
      who was a ships greaser survived a sea disaster. His name was James
      Long 1862-1938 and he was in an open boat for four days and suffered
      frostbite to his feet. We think possibly this disaster happened close
      to St. Helena. It is hard to find which disaster it was as I have no
      year or ship name. It most likely happened between 1880 and the mid
      1930's.
      If anyone knows of any such disaster in or around that area I would be
      very grateful if you got in touch.

      Thanks Kara.
    • kara_rainford
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2007
        Hello,
        I am doing family research which has brought me to this site. My
        great grandad was James Long 1862-1938, he was a ships greaser.
        According to a newspaper report on his inquest in Liverpool which I
        recently found, he was involved in a sea disaster many years before
        his death. The ship caught fire and he was in an open boat for four
        days suffering frostbite in his feet. The name of the ship and year
        are not mentioned but it may have happened near to St. Helena. It
        would have most likely been between 1880 and the mid 1930's. I want
        to learn more about this story but am stuck as I have little information.
        I would love to hear from anyone who knows of such a disaster and of
        any newspaper reports that may have been published in St. Lucia.

        Thanks, Kara.