GARDNERS

  • Mark Bailey
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2007

      Dear "jillspice"

      I have just joined the group.  I have been meaning to for some time but saw your recent message and couldnt believe my luck.

      I am tracing my wife's family history (for her and her mum) and we have traced directly back to Samuel GARDNER and Louise (or Louisa)

      I wonder if this can be the same?  Although you mentioned GARDINER the coincidence and timeframe seem very close.

      I dont know Louise' maiden name yet (or didnt until I read your message).

      If its the same people, Samuel was born in Rotherhithe 1823 and (we think) was a soldier stationed on the island when he met Louise (born 1828 St helena ).

      We think they had 2 kids in St Helena (Matilda 1854 and Samuel 1861) before they came to the UK and had 3 more in Rotherhithe (Louise 1866, Eleanor 1867 and Rose 1874).

      My wifes family line descends from Matilda who married Thomas Barry (from Ireland , probably in Army in Saint Helena ).

      It seems that the Gardner family (and Thomas/Matilda Barry) left Saint Helena between 1861 and 1866).

      In the 1881 census the BARRY's and the GARDNER'S are all recorded as living in the same house in Rotherhithe ( 37 Trident Street ).  The area nearby was called "Little Saint Helena".  Trident Road is still there today (but no houses).  Saint Helena Road is nearby.  My wifes grandfather came from Rotherhithe/Surrey Docks.

      Would be great to catch up on common links.

      Mark

    • me4usa
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2007
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Bailey"
        <mcbailey@...> wrote:

        > Dear "jillspice"
        >
        > I have just joined the group. I have been meaning to for some time
        but
        > saw your recent message and couldnt believe my luck.
        >
        > I am tracing my wife's family history (for her and her mum) and we
        have
        > traced directly back to Samuel GARDNER and Louise (or Louisa)
        >
        > I wonder if this can be the same? Although you mentioned GARDINER
        the
        > coincidence and timeframe seem very close.
        >
        > I dont know Louise' maiden name yet (or didnt until I read your
        > message).
        >
        > If its the same people, Samuel was born in Rotherhithe 1823 and (we
        > think) was a soldier stationed on the island when he met Louise
        (born
        > 1828 St helena).
        >
        > We think they had 2 kids in St Helena (Matilda 1854 and Samuel 1861)
        > before they came to the UK and had 3 more in Rotherhithe (Louise
        1866,
        > Eleanor 1867 and Rose 1874).
        >
        > My wifes family line descends from Matilda who married Thomas Barry
        > (from Ireland, probably in Army in Saint Helena).
        >
        > It seems that the Gardner family (and Thomas/Matilda Barry) left
        Saint
        > Helena between 1861 and 1866).
        >
        > In the 1881 census the BARRY's and the GARDNER'S are all recorded as
        > living in the same house in Rotherhithe (37 Trident Street). The
        area
        > nearby was called "Little Saint Helena". Trident Road is still
        there
        > today (but no houses). Saint Helena Road is nearby. My wifes
        > grandfather came from Rotherhithe/Surrey Docks.
        >
        > Would be great to catch up on common links.
        >
        > Mark

        Hi Mark. Your Matilda was my gt grandfathers sister! He was Thomas
        Henry. Do you know anything about their parents,uncles,aunts etc or
        even more on other brothers and sisters? I am in touch with 'jill
        spice'. I didn't know Matilda was the Irish connection until I saw
        your posted message. Someone had said there was one but didn't know
        who or why. Our side of the family seemed to be constantly falling
        out so info is hard come by. J. ps. Don't suppose you have any
        pictures?