Pollard

  • Tom Colton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2007
      Hi,

      I am researching my family history and have discovered that some of my ancestors were born or married on Saint Helena.

      Thomas Pollard married Mary Houndsworth on 28th December 1824. They had 4 daughters, all born on St. Helena:

      Elizabeth Pollard b.25/05/1821, baptised 01/03/1827

      Amelia Bertha Pollard b. 24/10/1824, baptised 05/05/1825

      Mary Ann Pollard b. 12/01/1827, baptised 01/03/1827

      Betsy Pollard b. 10/03/1830, baptised 01/04/1830

      Thomas Pollard was born in London, UK, in c.1896, the English censuses of 1841, 1861, 1871 had his occupation as a shoemaker, the 1871 census also recorded him as being deaf. I gather from information taken from The Indian Family History website that he may have been employed by the East India Company.
      I do not know anything else about Mary Houndsworth other than what I gleaned from the Indian website i.e. her marriage details Other details are that Amelia Pollard was married to a man whose surname was Foneak, whom I have been unable to find any record of on the internet. She was probably widowed when marrying my Great-great-grandfather Henry Cleghorn on 24/12/1849 in Clapham, London.

      I would be very grateful if your group could offer any information about the people name above,

      Regards,

      Tom Colton

      Bristol, UK
    • beakhust
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
        Excuse me if I've replied before (I am away from home and my main computer). I am descended from Amelia Bertha pollard and marriage cert does say widow.
        I am interested in your tracking down of the father. I have had less success. Particularly his birth.

        Dave beakhust.

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Colton" wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am researching my family history and have discovered that some of my ancestors were born or married on Saint Helena.
        >
        > Thomas Pollard married Mary Houndsworth on 28th December 1824. They had 4 daughters, all born on St. Helena:
        >
        > Elizabeth Pollard b.25/05/1821, baptised 01/03/1827
        >
        > Amelia Bertha Pollard b. 24/10/1824, baptised 05/05/1825
        >
        > Mary Ann Pollard b. 12/01/1827, baptised 01/03/1827
        >
        > Betsy Pollard b. 10/03/1830, baptised 01/04/1830
        >
        > Thomas Pollard was born in London, UK, in c.1896, the English censuses of 1841, 1861, 1871 had his occupation as a shoemaker, the 1871 census also recorded him as being deaf. I gather from information taken from The Indian Family History website that he may have been employed by the East India Company.
        > I do not know anything else about Mary Houndsworth other than what I gleaned from the Indian website i.e. her marriage details Other details are that Amelia Pollard was married to a man whose surname was Foneak, whom I have been unable to find any record of on the internet. She was probably widowed when marrying my Great-great-grandfather Henry Cleghorn on 24/12/1849 in Clapham, London.
        >
        > I would be very grateful if your group could offer any information about the people name above,
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Tom Colton
        >
        > Bristol, UK

      • beakhust
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
          Further to my earlier reply.
          Amelia Bertha is my gggm and is on the extreme female side of my tree:
          So my mitochondrial DNA must be from Mary houndsworth.
          My descent:
          Amelia Bertha pollard
          M. Henry cleghorn
          Bertha eliz. Cleghorn 1850
          M. John Joseph Fleming
          Bertha Jane Fleming 1883
          M. Albert George (surname redacted)
          Bertha Ellen (s. r. ) 1912
          M. Walter w Beakhust
          Me!
          So we are 3rd cousins for sure and not first cousins for sure, but are we 2nd?
          Dave b