Re: Children of Slaves

  • Dennis and Jenny Bush-King
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13 12:56 PM
      Re: Children of Slaves

      Thanks Alexander

      1818 is an interesting date as the two births were either side, one 1817 (John Jnr), the other 1819 (George).  If John was born to a slave woman he presumably would not have become free until 1839 when the local law was passed which would explain why he did not show up in England.

      I have taken note from a small sample of other children whose father was an officer and the mother had a different surname and in most cases were listed as women slaves.  In my case Johns wife Ann was 61 yrs old and probably passed acceptable child bearing age for the wife of an officer when the first child to Clarissa was born in 1817.  Given time and opportunity it would seem the EIC officers indulged themselves in a manner that perhaps was widespread on the Island during this time when the garrison was at strength.  I note also from other comments that the complexion of the skin of St Helenians reflected a diversity of ethnic backgrounds which might also indicate the extent of relationships between people living on the Island at the time.

      Kind regards

      Dennis Bush-King