Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Children of Slaves

  • A.H. Schulenburg
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2007
      A brief reply on the legal circumstances at the time, rather than the social ones.

      The importation of slaves to St Helena was prohibited in 1792.

      A local law passed in 1818, under Governor Hudson Lowe, provided that children born to a slave woman after Christmas Day 1818 were to be free.

      The UK's 'Abolition of Slavery Act', passed in 1833, did not apply to the territories of the East India Company.

      Slavery on St Helena was only made illegal in 1839 by a local law, 'An Ordinance for the Abolition of Slavery in the Island of St. Helena'.

      Regards,
      Alexander Schulenburg