Children of Slaves

  • dennibk
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11 1:44 PM
      One of the intriguing things to come out of the improved access to the
      British Library records for St Helena is that my direct family line has
      increased by at least two more people. However the new names are
      chilren born to my 4th GGF Lt John Melliss (Ass Surgeon) and "his slave
      Clarissa Scott". There is also another Melliss child but no father
      mentioned - the mother Mary was an "emancipated slave".

      One shouldn't be surprised that this has happened as it has throughout
      history. I am keen to find out more about the social conditions on St
      Helena around 1812-1820 that may have lead to and or tolerated this.
      Both children were baptised so recognised by the Church. I have not
      found them back in England like the children of both my grandparents
      so, if they survived, they most probably had reason to remain on the
      Island.

      Happy to receive any feedback

      Dennis
    • Dennis and Jenny Bush-King
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13 12:56 PM
        Re: Children of Slaves

        Thanks Alexander

        1818 is an interesting date as the two births were either side, one 1817 (John Jnr), the other 1819 (George).  If John was born to a slave woman he presumably would not have become free until 1839 when the local law was passed which would explain why he did not show up in England.

        I have taken note from a small sample of other children whose father was an officer and the mother had a different surname and in most cases were listed as women slaves.  In my case Johns wife Ann was 61 yrs old and probably passed acceptable child bearing age for the wife of an officer when the first child to Clarissa was born in 1817.  Given time and opportunity it would seem the EIC officers indulged themselves in a manner that perhaps was widespread on the Island during this time when the garrison was at strength.  I note also from other comments that the complexion of the skin of St Helenians reflected a diversity of ethnic backgrounds which might also indicate the extent of relationships between people living on the Island at the time.

        Kind regards

        Dennis Bush-King