Powell family

  • janet mclennan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
      I would like to find out a little more about why my grandfather's brother Charles E Powell and his wife Amy Dunford were posted to St Helena at least between 1891 and 1895. It is probable that Charles was in a Medical Corps. Three of his children were born in St Helena , namely Dorothy 1892, Charles Edward 1894 and Albert  1895. (from Army births and baptisms) How/Where would they have lived and what were conditions like?
      By 1897 he was back in England and a sergeant in the RAMC.
      I would like to know something about why he was in St Helena, was it normal to have a wife with you and have a family there? What was happening in St Helena at this time? I know only that it is a British colony. Any further information or sources to follow up will be gratefully received, Janet

    • clivealexa
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
        Greetings.
        I am researching the Alexander family from St Helena. One of our ancestors, Sarah Alexander, daughter of John Alexander and Mary Maxwell, married James Powell on 30 April 1734 on the Island. They had eight children, Mary, Sarah, Elizabeth, Josiah Clark, Joshua, John Goodwin and Margaret.
        James Powell also had an illegitimate child with Mary Alexander, Sarah's sister. He was named James Powell.
        I am looking for further information on these children. Websites I have accessed only deal with American families. It is, of course, possible that some of them did emigrate to the USA.
        Any help would be appreciated.

        Thanks
        Clive Stanbridge Alexander
        Somerset West
        South Africa.
      • hysperella
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013
          Hello Clive,

          I too are researching the Alexander family on St.Helena, although the name i am researching is James Hammond Alexander who married Johannah ? around 1815 on the island, i believe that my ancestor jumped ship to marry an american lady, not sure if these two families are related.

          Best wishes,

          Hilary,
          Dorset uk
          In a message dated 29/03/2013 12:16:09 GMT Standard Time, clivealex@... writes:

          Greetings.
          I am researching the Alexander family from St Helena. One of our ancestors, Sarah Alexander, daughter of John Alexander and Mary Maxwell, married James Powell on 30 April 1734 on the Island. They had eight children, Mary, Sarah, Elizabeth, Josiah Clark, Joshua, John Goodwin and Margaret.
          James Powell also had an illegitimate child with Mary Alexander, Sarah's sister. He was named James Powell.
          I am looking for further information on these children. Websites I have accessed only deal with American families. It is, of course, possible that some of them did emigrate to the USA.
          Any help would be appreciated.

          Thanks
          Clive Stanbridge Alexander
          Somerset West
          South Africa.

        • Clive Alexander
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013

            Hello Hilary,

            Glad to meet another Alexander searcher. Are you an Alexander yourself?

            I cannot at this stage find a James Alexander at all on our tree. That is not to say he is not there, I just haven’t come across him yet. Do you have any other names? Parents, siblings, children? This always helps.

            Paul, if you are reading this, do you have any info?

            Cheers

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 1:22 AM
              Hello,

              May or may not be of relevance:
              George William ALEXANDER and Jane CURO had a son:-
              Edward William ALEXANDER: b 25.5.1829 on St Helena, and became (I think) the surgeon-general of St Helena. He married Rose Adelaide MOSS (daughter of Isaac MOSS) on 4.12.1858 in St Helena.  Rose's d.o.b. is not certain.
              I think they arrived in New Zealand 1863. He had a successful medical career, and died 23.5.1907 in Dunedin NZ. Rose died 12.12.1916 in NZ. I haven't been able to untangle the local archives, but it appears they had a son.
              A good source of information might be the KRISTE family of Tunbridge Wells.

              Let me know if this has any links to the ALEXANDER family in question. (My connection is that Rose MOSS was my great aunt).

              Roger KNIGHTS
              Auckland
              New Zealand

              To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7 4:56 AM
                Hello, Searching through my Moss family connections I found the following which might be useful:

                Dr. Edward Henry Alexander - d. 28 Oct 1916 - buried Dunedin NZ
                Dr. Edward William Alexander Jnr - d. 23 May 1907 - Dunedin NZ - aged 28
                Dr. Edward William Alexander Snr - d. 1907 - birth unknown
                Emily Agnes Alexander - d. 5 Oct 1912
                Rose Adelaide Alexander (nee Moss - wife of EW Alexander Snr)- d. 12 Dec 1915/or 1916

                As above - it seems EW Alexander Snr and Jnr died in the same year - 1907.

                I will send attachments by separate email.

                Hope this helps,

                Andrew Moss
                Sydney