Re: HOLDER FAMILY ON ST HELENA

  • bojaniwska
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19, 2007
      Since my original post I have now found a Harriot Holder christened
      on 18 Oct 1818 on St Helena. Parents: Richard Holder and Rebecca.

      I know of a Reuben Holder (1791 - 1864) from Uley who was married to
      Rebecca born abt 1784 Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales who in the 1851
      census describes herself as a cook. This might be them assuming
      Harriot's father's name was recorded incorrectly.

      Harriot turns up in Liverpool in the 1841 census, but I have not been
      able to find her anywhere else.

      If anyone can shed any more light on this I would love to hear from
      you.

      Thanks
      Helen Bojaniwska

      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bojaniwska"
      <helenk_99@> wrote:

      > > I am trying to establish the truth of a family legend relating to
      > > couple called HOLDER from Uley, Gloucestershire, England. The
      story
      > > goes that while Mr Holder was stationed on the island with the
      British
      > > troops keeping watch over Napoleon, his wife became the Emporer's
      cook.

      > > The story is reported in The Story of Uley, M Lloyd-Baker, and
      cited in
      > > A History of Uley Gloucestershire, Alan Bebbington, but neither
      works
      > > provide a source.
      > >
      > > I have found in the English census a George Holder, born on St
      Helena
      > > in 1817, presumably their child.
      > >
      > > If anyone is able to shed any light on the tale I would be very
      > > grateful. My maternal grandfather was a Holder from Uley and I am
      keen
      > > to see if these people are related.
      > >
      > > Helen Bojaniwska
      > >

      > Don't know the Holder Family but my great grand mother was Rachel
      Uley who lived on the