Re: Lost Ancestor

  • hyacinthfmclayton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2007
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Hyacinth Clayton
      <hyacinthfmclayton@...> wrote:

      > Hi Crystal,
      > Yes, my greatgrandfather moved to Cape Town from Lisbon in
      Portugal. The question is when did he leave Portugal and when did
      Elizabeth Bales leave St Helena Island. Those are the things now that
      I have to find out. So for all your help so far, a very big thank you.

      > Regards,
      > Hyacinth
      >

      > Crystal Williams <cryswil27@...> wrote:
      > Hi Hyacinth
      >
      > So did your great-grandfather also move to Cape Town? because i
      find this death record at the archives - and if this was your great-
      grandfather, the estate papers will have Elizabeth's details. this
      is the death notice i found on the Cape Town archives website:

      > DEPOT
      KAB
      > SOURCE
      MOOC
      > TYPE
      LEER
      > VOLUME_NO
      6/9/693
      > SYSTEM
      01
      > REFERENCE
      1626
      1
      > DESCRIPTION VEOTTE, DOMINGO BP. DEATH
      NOTICE.
      > STARTING
      19120000
      > ENDING 19120000
      >

      > Hyacinth Clayton <hyacinthfmclayton@...> wrote:
      > Hi Sharon,
      > Thank you for the information. I hope this is the right Elizabeth
      Bales. I don't know when she left St Helena Island. I only know that
      she died in 1910. Maybe my date is wrong. I think that Elizabeth
      Bales was my greatgrandmother, I am to believe that she married my
      greatgrandfather Domingos Baptista Pontes Veotte, who came from Lisboa
      (Lisbon) Portugal. They had two sons, Domingos Baptist Pontes Veotte,
      my grandfather, and his brother, Angelo Baptista Veotte, of whom I
      know nothing at all. Also, they were orphaned. That is the
      information I have. I don't know what happened to Elizabeth's
      daughter Agnes Bales and who her father was. Any help that you could
      offer me, is greatly received.

      > Thank you,
      > Hyacinth F M Clayton. ''nee Veotte''
      >

      > sharon marshall <smarshall@...> wrote:
      > Hi Hyacinth,
      > Don't know if this is related, but it's the only thing that came
      up on South Africa National Archives page:
      > Rgds
      > Sharon
      >
      > DEPOT Genealogical Society of SA, Peter
      Holden
      > DESCRIPTION Bales, EH -
      Gravestone.
      > STARTING
      18651203
      > ENDING
      19481120
      > REMARKS Dutch Reformed Church Cemetery, Main Road, Observatory,
      Cape

      Town.
      > SUMMARY + Elizabeth Helena Bales, nee Manuel. Born 03-12-
      1865.
      > Died 20-11-1948.
      >
      > DEPOT
      KAB
      > SOURCE
      MOOC
      > TYPE LEER
      > VOLUME_NO
      6/9/15599
      > SYSTEM
      01
      > REFERENCE
      6342/48
      1
      > DESCRIPTION BALES, ELIZABETH HELENA. NEE MANUEL. ESTATE
      PAPERS.
      > STARTING
      19480000
      > ENDING 19480000

      Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and
      win prizes.

      > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever
      you're surfing.

      > Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less,
      sign up for your freeaccount today.