Re: Moss and Solomon Family

  • am_sydney
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
      Dear Sigi,

      I have a few details on the Moss family:

      Frederick Joseph Moss and George W Moss were brothers. Frederick was
      born at Longwood in 1826 George W Moss was born in 1838. Frederick
      Moss moved to NZ in 1859. George also emigrated to NZ in 1863. Their
      mother was Sarah Britton. I am still unsure who of their father's
      name, I believe it was George W Moss who was in business with Saul
      Solomon, but still not 100% on this. I also believe Frederick was the
      eldest child. The family lived at Longwood. I think they originally
      came from South Africa before moving to Longwood (family note).

      Frederick was educated at St Helena Grammar School. He began work for
      his uncle, George Britton, at Algoa Bay, South Africa. He served with
      the Cape Burghers and fought in the 'Seventh Kaffir War'. He returned
      to St H in 1847 and married Emily Ann Carew, daughter of Captain
      Carew. He returned to Natal in 1857 to settle, but due to a locust
      plague moved to NZ.

      I don't know if Frederick and George Moss are connected with others:
      Hannah Moss
      Emma Jane Moss b.1829 and married John Blackford
      Charles Philp Moss b. 1830
      Joseph Moss b.1834
      (plus Isaac and George W Moss snr)

      I suspect George jnr and Federick are the sons of George snr, but not
      sure yet.

      My father also claims that Moss Bros in the UK had a booklet once
      claiming connections with St Helena, but knows no more than this.

      Hoping someone might be able to add some more?

      Regards,

      Andrew

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "sigridmcmahon" <tesi@...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone know how Hannah Moss, who married Joseph Solomon, ties in
      > with George Moss (who worked with Joseph's brother Saul Solomon) and
      > Isaac Moss (who is listed as a boot and shoe maker)? According to the
      > Brown Family Papers, Joseph Solomon was betrothed to Hannah Moss
      > before he left for St. Helena. Hannah joined him later and the two
      > were married on St. Helena in 1814. In 1831 Joseph Solomon and Hannah
      > Moss left St. Helena with their children (Henry, Saul, Richard,
      > Benjamin, Edward, Isabella and Margaret) for Cape Town because of
      > better opportunities. Hannah Moss was born abt 1793, probably in
      > London, and died in Cape Town abt 1858. She had a sister, Phoebe
      > Moss, born abt 1799 in London who married George Bagshaw in 1822.
      > Also: one paragraph in the Brown Family Papers says that Longwood
      > was "secured for Napoleon" another para says in was "rented for
      > Napoleon from the Moss family."
      > Also: in abt. 1822 Henry and Saul Solomon(then ca. 6 and 5 years old)
      > left St. Helena for England under the care of an efficient soldier's
      > wife travelling by troop ship to spend several years with their
      > grandmother. With them travelled an "older cousin, George Moss, also
      > a child." There is no further mention of this George Moss in the
      > papers.
      > Regards,
      > Sigi

    • colinfoxhome
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
        Not sure if this is 'old hat' to the Solomon/Moss inquirers but you
        might like to visit this site which has a copy of an article about
        Saul Solomon written by the late and sorely missed Trevor Hearl. It
        also includes some 'Moss' names.

        http://www.archeion.talktalk.net/sthelena/saulsolomon.htm

        You might also like to look at my site www.thebennettletters.com where
        I list all the Solomon names on the old India Office card index for St
        Helena. (Now in the British Library - India section)

        Henry Solomon, son of Joseph Solomon and Hannah (nee Moss) travelled
        to England with a number of other children including George Brooks
        Bennett on the East Indiaman Winchelsea which left St Helena on 26 May
        1821.

        Some years later, George's sister Eliza married Henry Solomon ( a
        different Henry - this one was Saul's son) who was Health Officer on
        the island. Sadly he died a few years later. Eliza went on to marry
        the then Governor Sir Patrick Ross.

        Best wishes

        Colin Fox

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "am_sydney"
        <andrewmoss@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > Moss left St. Helena with their children (Henry, Saul, Richard,
        > > Benjamin, Edward, Isabella and Margaret) for Cape Town because of
        > > better opportunities. Hannah Moss was born abt 1793, probably in
        > > London, and died in Cape Town abt 1858. She had a sister, Phoebe
        > > Moss, born abt 1799 in London who married George Bagshaw in 1822.
        > > Also: one paragraph in the Brown Family Papers says that Longwood
        > > was "secured for Napoleon" another para says in was "rented for
        > > Napoleon from the Moss family."
        > > Also: in abt. 1822 Henry and Saul Solomon(then ca. 6 and 5 years old)
        > > left St. Helena for England under the care of an efficient soldier's
        > > wife travelling by troop ship to spend several years with their
        > > grandmother. With them travelled an "older cousin, George Moss, also
        > > a child." There is no further mention of this George Moss in the

      • am_sydney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
          Thank you Colin. Have also learnt from Frederick Moss' obituary
          (Auckland Star July 8 1904) that 'he returned to St.Helena to his
          father's office'. This was in 1847 and it may be the reference is to
          his father George W Moss (senior). The article also mentions two
          sisters who emigrated to NZ: 'Mrs Alexander wife of Dr. Alexander and
          Mrs Sincock, both of Dunedin' but the article doesn't mention their
          first names. Regards, Andrew.

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "colinfoxhome" <colin@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > > > Benjamin, Edward, Isabella and Margaret) for Cape Town because of
          > > > better opportunities. Hannah Moss was born abt 1793, probably in
          > > > London, and died in Cape Town abt 1858. She had a sister, Phoebe
          > > > Moss, born abt 1799 in London who married George Bagshaw in 1822.
          > > > Also: one paragraph in the Brown Family Papers says that Longwood
          > > > was "secured for Napoleon" another para says in was "rented for
          > > > Napoleon from the Moss family."
          > > > Also: in abt. 1822 Henry and Saul Solomon(then ca. 6 and 5 years
          old)
          > > > left St. Helena for England under the care of an efficient
          soldier's
          > > > wife travelling by troop ship to spend several years with their
          > > > grandmother. With them travelled an "older cousin, George Moss,
          also
          > > > a child." There is no further mention of this George Moss in the

        • sigridmcmahon
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2007
            Hello Andrew,
            Thanks for the details, I've noted everything you posted regarding
            the Moss family and with time I'm sure we'll find the connection we
            are looking for. Meanwhile, the Cape Town Archives Repository hold
            the following 1858 papers on Hannah Moss: Solomon, Hannah. Wife of
            Joseph Solomon. Will. I've written to find out how to get hold of a
            copy and will be happy to share the contents in due course. Maybe it
            will help establish some links.
            Regards,
            Sigi

            <andrewmoss@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > Benjamin, Edward, Isabella and Margaret) for Cape Town because of
            > > better opportunities. Hannah Moss was born abt 1793, probably in
            > > London, and died in Cape Town abt 1858. She had a sister, Phoebe
            > > Moss, born abt 1799 in London who married George Bagshaw in 1822.
            > > Also: one paragraph in the Brown Family Papers says that Longwood
            > > was "secured for Napoleon" another para says in was "rented for
            > > Napoleon from the Moss family."
            > > Also: in abt. 1822 Henry and Saul Solomon(then ca. 6 and 5 years
            old)
            > > left St. Helena for England under the care of an efficient
            soldier's
            > > wife travelling by troop ship to spend several years with their
            > > grandmother. With them travelled an "older cousin, George Moss,
            also
            > > a child." There is no further mention of this George Moss in the

          • Hyacinth Clayton
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 25, 2007
              Good morning,
              I don't think that this email is for me. My name is Hyacinth FM Clayton nee Veotte. I was making enquiries about an Elizabeth Bales nee Manuel who could be my greatgrandmother who lived and left St Helena Island with a daughter called Agnes. I was told that she married my greatgrandfather Domingos Baptista Pontes Veotte who was born in Lisbon Portugal and went to Cape Town South Africa.

              I hope you find who you are looking for.
              Regards,
              Hyacinth