Re: The "Thomas" surname on St Helena

  • dngskll
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
      Hi Tina,

      I've sent this reply once but it seems to have got lost. Anyway this
      is the repeat.

      Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from where? He
      is not mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died before then
      but the name Thomas is still only mentioned once in the census. A
      Thomas Thomas. Alice is not mentioned although she is still obviously
      on the island. Perhaps because she is now a married woman and has
      changed her name? The name Essex is not on the census because
      William her husband is in the St. Helena Regiment and would have been
      included in the bulk military entry I presume. Therefore all the
      Thomases seem to have disappeared.

      Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
      elsewhere (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can only
      guess from the military which is a big brick wall.

      Once again, thanks for replying.

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bty760432"
      <tina.wakefield@...> wrote:

      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, tina wakefield
      > <tina.wakefield@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Diane,
      > >
      > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
      Thomas,
      > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
      > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
      Alice
      > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
      > >
      > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
      > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .
      > >
      > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
      > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
      > Hough and the family moved to England.
      > >
      > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
      > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
      > thee are no more records.
      > >
      > > Tina
      > >
      > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
      > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
      > numerous on the
      > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
      > This
      > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
      > source.
      > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
      > Her
      > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
      > find
      > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
      brick
      > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
      > blocking
      > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
      father
      > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
      > this
      > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
      > managed to
      > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Diane
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
      > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
      and
      > win prizes.

    • bty760432
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
        Hi Diane,

        My detailed info comes from the Babtism records in the office on St
        Helena which I visited two years ago. The exact records are -

        1802
        Babtised Alice Thomas daughter of Geo: Thomas and Dolly Chatham Free

        1829
        Babtised - Dorothea Essex June 11th 1829
        Parents - Wiliam Essex, Drummer Artillary Band
        - Alice Thomas

        I am visiting again this August and if I see anything related to the
        Thomas family before 1814 I will let you know. I intend to
        investigate the Essex side of the family this year.

        Tina

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Gaskell"
        <diane_202@...> wrote:

        > Hi Tina,
        >
        > Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from where?
        He is not
        > mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died before then but
        the name
        > Thomas is still only mentioned once in the census. A Thomas
        Thomas. Alice
        > is not mentioned although she is still obviously on the island.
        Perhaps
        > because she is now a married woman and has changed her name? The
        name
        > Essex is not on the census because William her husband is in the
        St. Helena
        > Regiment and would have been included in the bulk military entry I
        presume.
        > Therefore all the Thomases seem to have disappeared.
        >
        > Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
        elsewhere
        > (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can only guess
        from the
        > military which is a big brick wall.
        >
        > Once again, thanks for replying.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Diane

      • dngskll
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007
          Hello Tina,

          I also visited the island a few years ago, which is where I obtained
          my information re my Thomas family. It's a beautiful island and I
          wish I could visit again. I could trace the female side back to 1800
          but not the male line. Hence my original question about the origin
          of the name.

          I have arranged to see the St Helena pension and muster rolls 1789-
          1859 at my local LDS reading room. If I find anything re your Essex
          line, I'll let you know. In theory these rolls contain the name,
          rank, regiment etc. fot soldiers serving on St. Helena. I'm hoping
          the Thomas name will be amongst them with enough info to tie into my
          family.

          Regards,

          Diane

          <tina.wakefield@...> wrote:

          > Hi Diane,
          >
          > My detailed info comes from the Babtism records in the office on
          St
          > Helena which I visited two years ago. The exact records are -
          >
          > 1802
          > Babtised Alice Thomas daughter of Geo: Thomas and Dolly Chatham Free
          >
          > 1829
          > Babtised - Dorothea Essex June 11th 1829
          > Parents - Wiliam Essex, Drummer Artillary Band
          > - Alice Thomas
          >
          > I am visiting again this August and if I see anything related to
          the
          > Thomas family before 1814 I will let you know. I intend to
          > investigate the Essex side of the family this year.
          >
          > Tina
          >

          > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Gaskell"
          > <diane_202@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Tina,
          > >
          > > Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from
          where?
          > He is not
          > > mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died before then
          but
          > the name
          > > Thomas is still only mentioned once in the census. A Thomas
          > Thomas. Alice
          > > is not mentioned although she is still obviously on the island.
          > Perhaps
          > > because she is now a married woman and has changed her name?
          The
          > name
          > > Essex is not on the census because William her husband is in the
          > St. Helena
          > > Regiment and would have been included in the bulk military entry
          > presume.
          > > Therefore all the Thomases seem to have disappeared.
          > >
          > > Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
          > elsewhere
          > > (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can only guess
          > from the
          > > military which is a big brick wall.
          > >
          > > Once again, thanks for replying.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Diane

        • Genie Murphy
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 7 4:52 AM
            Dear Diane:

            I saw your posting and don't know if this helps but I also have some descendents from St. Helena  that may be of interest.

            Victoria Corker, my grandmothers sister, married a Robert Essex and they had  one daughter, Charlotte and six sons, Robert, Fred, George, Albert, Norman and Joseph.  George had a son Jeffrey born in 1936.  There is also a reference to a Hilda Ellen Thomas who was born in 1890 and married Henry James Corker (my grandmothers brother. Also a reference to a Winifred May Thomas who married Belfred Ronald Corker.  These may be entirely different lines but I thought I would pass this along.

            Genie Murphy (USA)   Descendent from the Corker family on the Island.

            <tina.wakefield@...> wrote:

            > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, tina wakefield
            > <tina.wakefield@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Diane,
            > >
            > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
            Thomas,
            > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
            > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
            Alice
            > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
            > >
            > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
            > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .
            > >
            > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
            > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
            > Hough and the family moved to England.
            > >
            > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
            > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
            > thee are no more records.
            > >
            > > Tina
            > >
            > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
            > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
            > numerous on the
            > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
            > This
            > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
            > source.
            > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
            > Her
            > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
            > find
            > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
            brick
            > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
            > blocking
            > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
            father
            > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
            > this
            > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
            > managed to
            > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Diane
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------
            > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
            > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
            and
            > win prizes.

          • Hyacinth Clayton
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 9 12:41 AM
              Hi there,
              I have received this mail by mistake. It was suppose to go to dngsklldiane_202@... Can someone please look into this. Thanks.

              Hyacinth

              <tina.wakefield@ ...> wrote:

              > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, tina wakefield
              > <tina.wakefield@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Diane,
              > >
              > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
              Thomas,
              > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
              > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
              Alice
              > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
              > >
              > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
              > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .
              > >
              > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
              > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
              > Hough and the family moved to England.
              > >
              > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
              > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
              > thee are no more records.
              > >
              > > Tina
              > >
              > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
              > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
              > numerous on the
              > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
              > This
              > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
              > source.
              > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
              > Her
              > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
              > find
              > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
              brick
              > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
              > blocking
              > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
              father
              > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
              > this
              > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
              > managed to
              > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Diane
              > >

              > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
              > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
              and
              > win prizes.

            • Hyacinth Clayton
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9 12:56 AM
                Hope this message goes to the right person

                Hyacinth Clayton <hyacinthfmclayton@...> wrote:
                Hi there,
                I have received this mail by mistake. It was suppose to go to dngsklldiane_202@hotmail. com Can someone please look into this. Thanks.

                Hyacinth

                <tina.wakefield@ ...> wrote:

                > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, tina wakefield
                > <tina.wakefield@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Diane,
                > >
                > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
                Thomas,
                > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
                > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
                Alice
                > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
                > >
                > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
                > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .
                > >
                > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
                > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
                > Hough and the family moved to England.
                > >
                > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
                > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
                > thee are no more records.
                > >
                > > Tina
                > >
                > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
                > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
                > numerous on the
                > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
                > This
                > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
                > source.
                > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
                > Her
                > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
                > find
                > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
                brick
                > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
                > blocking
                > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
                father
                > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
                > this
                > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
                > managed to
                > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Diane
                > >

                > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
                > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
                and
                > win prizes.

              • jamesteebee
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9 3:21 AM
                  Hello Hyacinth,

                  I think you should change your settings, by going to 'Edit
                  Membership' and choosing 'web only' as option for reading messages.I
                  think this should do the trick.
                  I must say, personally, I'm glad to read all the posts as they come
                  and will take this opportunity to say hello to all the listers again.

                  Regards

                  James Brookes

                  Regards --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Hyacinth Clayton
                  <hyacinthfmclayton@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > blocking
                  > > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
                  > father
                  > > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses
                  at
                  > > this
                  > > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
                  > > managed to
                  > > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > >
                  > > > Diane
                  > > >

                  > > > ---------------------------------
                  > > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
                  > > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
                  > and
                  > > win prizes.
                  > > >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for
                  less, sign up for your free account today.

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Tryit
                  now.

                • dngskll
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9 7:01 AM
                    Dear Genie,

                    Thanks for that. I didn't recognise any names matching my "Thomas"
                    family history but certainly the "Corker" name is well known from the
                    island.

                    I just cannot find any "Thomas" names before the middle of the 1800's
                    and am stumped as to where the name came from. It would appear that
                    not many folk can trace their "Thomas" back either. Obviously if
                    they are from slaves then that would explain no or very few records.
                    However, as my GGG Grandparents on the female side were both very
                    definately slaves, if the GGG Grandparents on the male side (Thomas)
                    were also slaves, wouldn't their grand children have had at least
                    some colouring to their skins? One of these grand children is my G
                    Grandmother.

                    Before anyone takes offence at the reference to colour, I infer no
                    prejudice, it's just that I don't know enough about genetics to find
                    out how the colour of skin is diluted by generation. I have assumed
                    that my Evan Thomas was "white" because his wife was from slaves
                    therefore assumed "black". His daughter, my G Grandmother does not
                    appear to be very dark skinned on the few photos I have and following
                    generations are all "white".

                    Another idea that my son put forward is that the "slaves" in the
                    family tree were in fact the son and daughter of slaves and masters!
                    This could then mean that my Evan could in theory be from slaves.
                    This has really got me confused now but I find the whole subject
                    fascinating and addictive.

                    Regards,

                    Diane
                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Genie Murphy
                    <genieandjim@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > Alice
                    > > > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.

                    > > > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .

                    > > > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles
                    Pemberton
                    > > > Hough and the family moved to England.

                    > > > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship
                    and
                    > > > thee are no more records.

                    > > > numerous on the
                    > > > This
                    > > > source.
                    > > > Her
                    > > > find
                    > > brick
                    > > > blocking
                    > > father
                    > > > this
                    > > > managed to

                    > > > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games

                  • neil808548
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 9, 2007
                      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "dngskll"
                      <diane_202@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      the
                      > > > Thomases seem to have disappeared.
                      > > >
                      > > > Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
                      > > > elsewhere (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can
                      only
                      > > > guess from the military which is a big brick wall.
                      > > >
                      > > > Once again, thanks for replying.
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bty760432"

                      > > > Thomas,
                      > > > Alice

                      > Pemberton

                      > and

                      Thomas.
                      > 1848.
                      > not
                      This
                      > > > brick
                      > > > father
                      > guesses at

                      > > > and
                      > > > > >
                      > > > Hello. Have just joined the group and was fascinated by the
                      Thomas discussion. I might be able to help
                      William Thomas arrived on the ship HMS Eurydice on 29th September
                      1816 as a clerk on board. He worked for Mr Solomon provisioning
                      ships on the island and attended Napoleon's funeral and touched his
                      hand before his internment.He stayed on the island until his tragic
                      death by drowning in 1829 and fathered two children by Martha
                      Chippingdale - Evan born 1st Sept 1821 and Owen born 4 June 1824.
                      Evan married Ann Maria Phillips on 13 March 1843 and Owen married
                      Sarah Gentry on 8 August 1846>
                      William came from Coity near Bridgend South Wales and was the
                      brother of my partner's great great great grandmother Lettice Thomas

                      > > >I have had an article published on William and could forward
                      it if you are interested. The information on William is taken from a
                      collection of letters Willian wrote to his widowed mother Catherine
                      and sister Lettice

                      Neil

                    • dngskll
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 9, 2007
                        Hello Neil,

                        I am tickled pink with the information that you have re Evan & Owen
                        Thomas. Evan is my G G Grandfather and his ancestry has been a huge
                        brick wall for years. I would very much appreciate any information
                        that you have. I couldn't find any entries in the St Helena archives
                        for Evan and Owen (although that doesn't mean they aren't there, just
                        I didn't see them) and have tried every genealogy site that I could
                        lay my hands on, trying to find them. I am interested in anything
                        pertaining to the family as I am researching far more than the direct
                        line. I'm going in as many directions as I can in an attempt to
                        understand the way of life and the personalities of the people in the
                        family tree. My email address is diane_202@....

                        Once again, many thanks for taking the time to reply,

                        Regards,

                        Diane.
                        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "neil808548"