The "Thomas" surname on St Helena

  • dngskll
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
      Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so numerous on the
      island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas. This
      must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other source.
      My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848. Her
      father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not find
      birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This brick
      wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been blocking
      my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his father
      brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at this
      stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers managed to
      delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?

      Thanks,

      Diane
    • cryswil27
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
        Hi - on the old website link we had access to the YON family trees -
        where do i find it now? I can't seem to get access to the old link -
        I've just come across some information that my great-great-
        grandmother was possibly a YON - so i need to check that family
        trees again. Murphy's law was that i deleted the word documents that
        i downloaded off my computer last week!!! and now last night someone
        tells me she was a YON!

        Thanx!
        Crystal - Cape Town - South Africa

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "dngskll"
        <diane_202@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so numerous on the
        > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
        This
        > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
        source.
        > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
        Her
        > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
        find
        > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
        brick
        > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
        blocking
        > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
        father
        > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
        this
        > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
        managed to
        > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Diane

      • tina wakefield
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
          Hi Diane,

          In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice Thomas, by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable Company). There may have been more children from the marriage. Alice was born 'f'ree' not a slave.

          In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .

          In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton Hough and the family moved to England.

          Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and thee are no more records.

          Tina

          dngskll <diane_202@...> wrote:
          Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so numerous on the
          island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas. This
          must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other source.
          My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848. Her
          father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not find
          birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This brick
          wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been blocking
          my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his father
          brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at this
          stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers managed to
          delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?

          Thanks,

          Diane

        • bty760432
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, tina wakefield
            <tina.wakefield@...> wrote:

            > Hi Diane,
            >
            > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice Thomas,
            by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
            Company). There may have been more children from the marriage. Alice
            was born 'f'ree' not a slave.

            > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
            husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .

            > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
            Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
            Hough and the family moved to England.

            > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
            the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
            thee are no more records.

            > Tina
            >
            > dngskll <diane_202@...> wrote:
            > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
            numerous on the
            > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
            This
            > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
            source.
            > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
            Her
            > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
            find
            > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This brick
            > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
            blocking
            > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his father
            > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
            this
            > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
            managed to
            > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Diane
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
            Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and
            win prizes.

          • Diane Gaskell
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
              Hi Tina,

              Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from where? He is not
              mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died before then but the name
              Thomas is still only mentioned once in the census. A Thomas Thomas. Alice
              is not mentioned although she is still obviously on the island. Perhaps
              because she is now a married woman and has changed her name? The name
              Essex is not on the census because William her husband is in the St. Helena
              Regiment and would have been included in the bulk military entry I presume.
              Therefore all the Thomases seem to have disappeared.

              Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from elsewhere
              (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can only guess from the
              military which is a big brick wall.

              Once again, thanks for replying.

              Regards,

              Diane
            • dngskll
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
                Hi Tina,

                I've sent this reply once but it seems to have got lost. Anyway this
                is the repeat.

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bty760432"
                <tina.wakefield@...> wrote:

                > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, tina wakefield
                > <tina.wakefield@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Diane,
                > >
                > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
                Thomas,
                > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
                > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
                Alice
                > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
                > >
                > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
                > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .
                > >
                > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
                > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
                > Hough and the family moved to England.
                > >
                > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
                > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
                > thee are no more records.
                > >
                > > Tina
                > >
                > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
                > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
                > numerous on the
                > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
                > This
                > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
                > source.
                > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
                > Her
                > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
                > find
                > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
                brick
                > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
                > blocking
                > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
                father
                > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
                > this
                > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
                > managed to
                > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Diane
                > >

                > > ---------------------------------
                > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
                > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
                and
                > win prizes.

              • bty760432
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
                  Hi Diane,

                  My detailed info comes from the Babtism records in the office on St
                  Helena which I visited two years ago. The exact records are -

                  1802
                  Babtised Alice Thomas daughter of Geo: Thomas and Dolly Chatham Free

                  1829
                  Babtised - Dorothea Essex June 11th 1829
                  Parents - Wiliam Essex, Drummer Artillary Band
                  - Alice Thomas

                  I am visiting again this August and if I see anything related to the
                  Thomas family before 1814 I will let you know. I intend to
                  investigate the Essex side of the family this year.

                  Tina

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Gaskell"
                  <diane_202@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Tina,
                  >
                  > Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from where?
                  He is not
                  > mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died before then but
                  the name
                  > Thomas is still only mentioned once in the census. A Thomas
                  Thomas. Alice
                  > is not mentioned although she is still obviously on the island.
                  Perhaps
                  > because she is now a married woman and has changed her name? The
                  name
                  > Essex is not on the census because William her husband is in the
                  St. Helena
                  > Regiment and would have been included in the bulk military entry I
                  presume.
                  > Therefore all the Thomases seem to have disappeared.
                  >
                  > Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
                  elsewhere
                  > (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can only guess
                  from the
                  > military which is a big brick wall.
                  >
                  > Once again, thanks for replying.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Diane

                • dngskll
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007
                    Hello Tina,

                    I also visited the island a few years ago, which is where I obtained
                    my information re my Thomas family. It's a beautiful island and I
                    wish I could visit again. I could trace the female side back to 1800
                    but not the male line. Hence my original question about the origin
                    of the name.

                    I have arranged to see the St Helena pension and muster rolls 1789-
                    1859 at my local LDS reading room. If I find anything re your Essex
                    line, I'll let you know. In theory these rolls contain the name,
                    rank, regiment etc. fot soldiers serving on St. Helena. I'm hoping
                    the Thomas name will be amongst them with enough info to tie into my
                    family.

                    Regards,

                    Diane

                    <tina.wakefield@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Diane,
                    >
                    > My detailed info comes from the Babtism records in the office on
                    St
                    > Helena which I visited two years ago. The exact records are -
                    >
                    > 1802
                    > Babtised Alice Thomas daughter of Geo: Thomas and Dolly Chatham Free
                    >
                    > 1829
                    > Babtised - Dorothea Essex June 11th 1829
                    > Parents - Wiliam Essex, Drummer Artillary Band
                    > - Alice Thomas
                    >
                    > I am visiting again this August and if I see anything related to
                    the
                    > Thomas family before 1814 I will let you know. I intend to
                    > investigate the Essex side of the family this year.
                    >
                    > Tina
                    >

                    > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Gaskell"
                    > <diane_202@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Tina,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from
                    where?
                    > He is not
                    > > mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died before then
                    but
                    > the name
                    > > Thomas is still only mentioned once in the census. A Thomas
                    > Thomas. Alice
                    > > is not mentioned although she is still obviously on the island.
                    > Perhaps
                    > > because she is now a married woman and has changed her name?
                    The
                    > name
                    > > Essex is not on the census because William her husband is in the
                    > St. Helena
                    > > Regiment and would have been included in the bulk military entry
                    > presume.
                    > > Therefore all the Thomases seem to have disappeared.
                    > >
                    > > Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
                    > elsewhere
                    > > (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can only guess
                    > from the
                    > > military which is a big brick wall.
                    > >
                    > > Once again, thanks for replying.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > >
                    > > Diane

                  • Genie Murphy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 7, 2007
                      Dear Diane:

                      I saw your posting and don't know if this helps but I also have some descendents from St. Helena  that may be of interest.

                      Victoria Corker, my grandmothers sister, married a Robert Essex and they had  one daughter, Charlotte and six sons, Robert, Fred, George, Albert, Norman and Joseph.  George had a son Jeffrey born in 1936.  There is also a reference to a Hilda Ellen Thomas who was born in 1890 and married Henry James Corker (my grandmothers brother. Also a reference to a Winifred May Thomas who married Belfred Ronald Corker.  These may be entirely different lines but I thought I would pass this along.

                      Genie Murphy (USA)   Descendent from the Corker family on the Island.

                      <tina.wakefield@...> wrote:

                      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, tina wakefield
                      > <tina.wakefield@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Diane,
                      > >
                      > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
                      Thomas,
                      > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
                      > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
                      Alice
                      > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
                      > >
                      > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
                      > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .
                      > >
                      > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
                      > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
                      > Hough and the family moved to England.
                      > >
                      > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
                      > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
                      > thee are no more records.
                      > >
                      > > Tina
                      > >
                      > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
                      > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
                      > numerous on the
                      > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
                      > This
                      > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
                      > source.
                      > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
                      > Her
                      > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
                      > find
                      > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
                      brick
                      > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
                      > blocking
                      > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
                      father
                      > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
                      > this
                      > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
                      > managed to
                      > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Diane
                      > >

                      > > ---------------------------------
                      > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
                      > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
                      and
                      > win prizes.

                    • Hyacinth Clayton
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 9, 2007
                        Hi there,
                        I have received this mail by mistake. It was suppose to go to dngsklldiane_202@... Can someone please look into this. Thanks.

                        Hyacinth

                        <tina.wakefield@ ...> wrote:

                        > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, tina wakefield
                        > <tina.wakefield@ > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Diane,
                        > >
                        > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
                        Thomas,
                        > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
                        > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
                        Alice
                        > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
                        > >
                        > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
                        > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .
                        > >
                        > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
                        > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
                        > Hough and the family moved to England.
                        > >
                        > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
                        > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
                        > thee are no more records.
                        > >
                        > > Tina
                        > >
                        > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
                        > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
                        > numerous on the
                        > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
                        > This
                        > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
                        > source.
                        > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
                        > Her
                        > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
                        > find
                        > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
                        brick
                        > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
                        > blocking
                        > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
                        father
                        > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
                        > this
                        > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
                        > managed to
                        > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Diane
                        > >

                        > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                        > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
                        > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
                        and
                        > win prizes.

                      • Hyacinth Clayton
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 9, 2007
                          Hope this message goes to the right person

                          Hyacinth Clayton <hyacinthfmclayton@...> wrote:
                          Hi there,
                          I have received this mail by mistake. It was suppose to go to dngsklldiane_202@hotmail. com Can someone please look into this. Thanks.

                          Hyacinth

                          <tina.wakefield@ ...> wrote:

                          > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, tina wakefield
                          > <tina.wakefield@ > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Diane,
                          > >
                          > > In 1802 my ancestor Geo Thomas had a child, called Alice
                          Thomas,
                          > by his wife Dolly Chatham (who was a slave of the Honorable
                          > Company). There may have been more children from the marriage.
                          Alice
                          > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.
                          > >
                          > > In 1825 Alice Thomas had a child called Dorothea Essex by her
                          > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .
                          > >
                          > > In 1843 Dorothea had a child babtised, father unknown, called
                          > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles Pemberton
                          > Hough and the family moved to England.
                          > >
                          > > Hope this us some use. It is impossible to go further back in
                          > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship and
                          > thee are no more records.
                          > >
                          > > Tina
                          > >
                          > > dngskll <diane_202@> wrote:
                          > > Does anyone know when the surname Thomas became so
                          > numerous on the
                          > > island. In the 1814 census there appeared to be only 1 Thomas.
                          > This
                          > > must mean that the name quickly became popular from some other
                          > source.
                          > > My G Grandmother Henrietta Thomas was born in Jamestown in 1848.
                          > Her
                          > > father Evan Thomas married and died on the island but I could not
                          > find
                          > > birth evidence. From his death entry he was born c1822. This
                          brick
                          > > wall as to who his parents were and where he was born has been
                          > blocking
                          > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
                          father
                          > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses at
                          > this
                          > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
                          > managed to
                          > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > >
                          > > Diane
                          > >

                          > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                          > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
                          > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
                          and
                          > win prizes.

                        • jamesteebee
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 9, 2007
                            Hello Hyacinth,

                            I think you should change your settings, by going to 'Edit
                            Membership' and choosing 'web only' as option for reading messages.I
                            think this should do the trick.
                            I must say, personally, I'm glad to read all the posts as they come
                            and will take this opportunity to say hello to all the listers again.

                            Regards

                            James Brookes

                            Regards --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Hyacinth Clayton
                            <hyacinthfmclayton@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > blocking
                            > > > my research for 2 years. His name sounds Welsh. Perhaps his
                            > father
                            > > > brought his family over with a regimental posting? Any guesses
                            at
                            > > this
                            > > > stage would be welcome. Have any other "Thomas" researchers
                            > > managed to
                            > > > delve further back than the middle of the 19th century?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks,
                            > > >
                            > > > Diane
                            > > >

                            > > > ---------------------------------
                            > > > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing.
                            > > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games
                            > and
                            > > win prizes.
                            > > >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for
                            less, sign up for your free account today.

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Tryit
                            now.

                          • dngskll
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 9, 2007
                              Dear Genie,

                              Thanks for that. I didn't recognise any names matching my "Thomas"
                              family history but certainly the "Corker" name is well known from the
                              island.

                              I just cannot find any "Thomas" names before the middle of the 1800's
                              and am stumped as to where the name came from. It would appear that
                              not many folk can trace their "Thomas" back either. Obviously if
                              they are from slaves then that would explain no or very few records.
                              However, as my GGG Grandparents on the female side were both very
                              definately slaves, if the GGG Grandparents on the male side (Thomas)
                              were also slaves, wouldn't their grand children have had at least
                              some colouring to their skins? One of these grand children is my G
                              Grandmother.

                              Before anyone takes offence at the reference to colour, I infer no
                              prejudice, it's just that I don't know enough about genetics to find
                              out how the colour of skin is diluted by generation. I have assumed
                              that my Evan Thomas was "white" because his wife was from slaves
                              therefore assumed "black". His daughter, my G Grandmother does not
                              appear to be very dark skinned on the few photos I have and following
                              generations are all "white".

                              Another idea that my son put forward is that the "slaves" in the
                              family tree were in fact the son and daughter of slaves and masters!
                              This could then mean that my Evan could in theory be from slaves.
                              This has really got me confused now but I find the whole subject
                              fascinating and addictive.

                              Regards,

                              Diane
                              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Genie Murphy
                              <genieandjim@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > Alice
                              > > > was born 'f'ree' not a slave.

                              > > > husband William Essex( a drummer in the St Helena Regt) .

                              > > > Amelia George - who married my greatgrandfather Charles
                              Pemberton
                              > > > Hough and the family moved to England.

                              > > > the female line as Dolly came from Madagascar on a slave ship
                              and
                              > > > thee are no more records.

                              > > > numerous on the
                              > > > This
                              > > > source.
                              > > > Her
                              > > > find
                              > > brick
                              > > > blocking
                              > > father
                              > > > this
                              > > > managed to

                              > > > Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games

                            • neil808548
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 9, 2007
                                <diane_202@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                the
                                > > > Thomases seem to have disappeared.
                                > > >
                                > > > Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
                                > > > elsewhere (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can
                                only
                                > > > guess from the military which is a big brick wall.
                                > > >
                                > > > Once again, thanks for replying.
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bty760432"

                                > > > Thomas,
                                > > > Alice

                                > Pemberton

                                > and

                                Thomas.
                                > 1848.
                                > not
                                This
                                > > > brick
                                > > > father
                                > guesses at

                                > > > and
                                > > > > >
                                > > > Hello. Have just joined the group and was fascinated by the
                                Thomas discussion. I might be able to help
                                William Thomas arrived on the ship HMS Eurydice on 29th September
                                1816 as a clerk on board. He worked for Mr Solomon provisioning
                                ships on the island and attended Napoleon's funeral and touched his
                                hand before his internment.He stayed on the island until his tragic
                                death by drowning in 1829 and fathered two children by Martha
                                Chippingdale - Evan born 1st Sept 1821 and Owen born 4 June 1824.
                                Evan married Ann Maria Phillips on 13 March 1843 and Owen married
                                Sarah Gentry on 8 August 1846>
                                William came from Coity near Bridgend South Wales and was the
                                brother of my partner's great great great grandmother Lettice Thomas

                                > > >I have had an article published on William and could forward
                                it if you are interested. The information on William is taken from a
                                collection of letters Willian wrote to his widowed mother Catherine
                                and sister Lettice

                                Neil

                              • dngskll
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 9, 2007
                                  Hello Neil,

                                  I am tickled pink with the information that you have re Evan & Owen
                                  Thomas. Evan is my G G Grandfather and his ancestry has been a huge
                                  brick wall for years. I would very much appreciate any information
                                  that you have. I couldn't find any entries in the St Helena archives
                                  for Evan and Owen (although that doesn't mean they aren't there, just
                                  I didn't see them) and have tried every genealogy site that I could
                                  lay my hands on, trying to find them. I am interested in anything
                                  pertaining to the family as I am researching far more than the direct
                                  line. I'm going in as many directions as I can in an attempt to
                                  understand the way of life and the personalities of the people in the
                                  family tree. My email address is diane_202@....

                                  Once again, many thanks for taking the time to reply,

                                  Regards,

                                  Diane.
                                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "neil808548"