RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Saints in SA

  • John Dady
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007

      Thank you June, it’s john@...

      John Dady

      From: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of ja3nf
      Sent: 26 March 2007 07:27
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Saints in SA

      -Dear Charles & John Dady,
      Send me your private e-mail addresses, please. Yahoo is not
      dispatching the article (PDF file 797KB), via this Forum.
      Charles: I know about a Knipe family from the Southern Cape . I will
      see if I can get in contact with them.
      June

      -- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "Charles Le Breton"
      <charlesx@.. .> wrote:

      > Could I have a copy of article please. Not sure it will help but
      see the family name Knipe included so worth a try. Others of
      particular interest are Le Breton, Newton and Wills.

      > Thanking you.
      >
      > Charles Le Breton ,
      w:st="on">New Zealand

      aan die Kaap: migrasie, uitbuiting en assimilasie. If
      you

      "ja3nf" <nilfer@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com,
      "ja3nf" <nilfer@>
      > > wrote:
      > > Due to the economic depression on St Helena and the demand for
      > > labour in SA (from thr article Settlers and Slaves) led to the
      > > emigration of more than 2000 St Helenians to the Cape and
      Natal .
      > > Dr A. Schulenburg wrote "a large emigration took place in
      1871,
      > > 1872 & 1873 consequent on the change and reductions which
      followed
      > > on the opening of the Suez Canal .
      Emigrant vessels were
      dispatched
      > > to the Island from the Cape &
      Natal, inviting emigrants and
      > offering
      > > good employment in those Colonies to anyone who were disposed
      > > avail themselves of it."
      > > The St Helenians settled in the Bo-Kaap, District Six,
      Athlone,
      > > Constantia, Rondebosch - Claremont
      area ( Harfield Road ),
      Paarl,
      > > Wellington , PE
      and East London . (maybe some of you can add
      more
      > > places)
      > > They brought with them their social security net and
      established
      > > several benifit societies for example The Independent Friendly
      > > Society (the building still stands in
      w:st="on">Wellington dated 1885),
      and
      > > the Odd Fellows. Unfortunately member lists of these societies
      > > cannot be found. Church records will be the best place to
      start.
      > > Surnames: Adams, Andersen, Andrews, Bailey, Benjamin, Chapman,
      > > Combrinck, Daniels, Davids, Davis, Fisher, Harris, Hector,
      Isaacs,
      > > Knipe, Martin, Meyer, Peters, Petersen, Reed, Richards,
      Robinson,
      > > Smith, Thomas, Ward, Watson, Williams tec..etc..were common.
      > > Prior to the 1948 Race Classification laws the Saints were
      proud
      > > to be British subjects and tried to keep their 'British
      identity'.
      > > The next generation dissolved into the South African society
      and
      > so
      > > did the history of 2000 Saints.What a pity!!!
      > > Unfortunately many old cemetaries are abused and neglected so
      > > hardly no info can be fetched there.
      > > I am sure many of you will be able to add more info to our
      > > subject.
      > > Keep well
      > > June Nielsen-Ferreira
      > > Denmark
      > >

      > > > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com,
      Beryl Segers

      w:st="on">St Helena in
      > 1914.

      > > Helenian
      > > > family ended up in Claremont .
      My great grandparents and
      their
      > > > family also lived at various addresses in the
      w:st="on">Claremont and
      > > Newlands
      > > > areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few
      St
      > > > Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to
      know
      > > how
      > > > they ended up here.
      w:st="on">Claremont as I
      > knew
      > > > that this was where my great grandparents were married and
      where
      > > > their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's
      > > sister
      > > > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed
      at
      > > these
      > > > events were either related and/or were originally from
      w:st="on">St
      Helena
      > > > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
      > > church
      > > > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the
      > records.
      > > > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may
      be
      > of
      > > > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and
      Yon.
      > > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened
      > > pick
      > > > up on by looking at my family's records.

      > > > Harfield
      Quite many St Helenians lived there.
      > > > Unfortunately
      w:st="on">Cape are not