Fw: Richards Family

  • Faltus
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007
      From: "Faltus" <Faltus@...>
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:02 PM
      Subject: Richards Family

      > I am trying to verify an item about my grest grandmother (Elizabeth
      > RICHARDS) who left the island about 1860.
      >
      > My information has it that she came to New Bedford, Mass on the Whaling
      Ship
      > "YOUNG PHOENIX" as a sort of "Nanny" to take care of the Captain's wife
      and
      > new born son.
      >
      > Information I received from Thomas RICHARDS (do not know whether he is
      > related or not) stated that the ST. HELENA HERALD for 1860 quoted in the
      > "Shipping Intelligence Column" the following. THE WHALING SHIP "YOUNG
      > PHOENIX" (CAPT. W. SHOCKLEY) ARRIVED 17 JAN 1860. This seems to tie in
      with
      > the family information and verifies that information. (Elizabeth stayed
      with
      > the Shockley several years.)
      >
      > The Census Records (taken 30 Sep 1814) (LDS Microfilm 1259088) shows a
      > Thomas RICHARDS with 1 woman, 3 boys. 3 girls (no other information). This
      > (I believe) could be the grandfather and may have been one of the
      > individuals (along with the MORSE Brothers) brought to the island by Saul
      > Solomon. By the way, this Thonas was listed as a Jeweler.
      >
      > With the island getting so much attention lately I feel that there may be
      > more information available.
      >
      > Thanks for taking the time to read this message and any information
      received
      > will be appreciated.
      >
      > Everett Faltus (faltus@...)

    • lessie
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2010
        Hey

        I posted an ad way back trying to get some info bout my great grand mother whom was actually born on Saint Helena Island, her name was Maud Alice Richards born 29/01/1899 and married a man called Andrew Simon Graham, I believe they migrated to south africa in the 1920's.

        Don't know whether you would be able to share or give more info regarding the Richards family on the Island??

        > > I am trying to verify an item about my grest grandmother (Elizabeth
        > > RICHARDS) who left the island about 1860.
        > >
        > > My information has it that she came to New Bedford, Mass on the Whaling
        > Ship
        > > "YOUNG PHOENIX" as a sort of "Nanny" to take care of the Captain's wife
        > and
        > > new born son.
        > >
        > > Information I received from Thomas RICHARDS (do not know whether he is
        > > related or not) stated that the ST. HELENA HERALD for 1860 quoted in the
        > > "Shipping Intelligence Column" the following. THE WHALING SHIP "YOUNG
        > > PHOENIX" (CAPT. W. SHOCKLEY) ARRIVED 17 JAN 1860. This seems to tie in
        > with
        > > the family information and verifies that information. (Elizabeth stayed
        > with
        > > the Shockley several years.)
        > >
        > > The Census Records (taken 30 Sep 1814) (LDS Microfilm 1259088) shows a
        > > Thomas RICHARDS with 1 woman, 3 boys. 3 girls (no other information). This
        > > (I believe) could be the grandfather and may have been one of the
        > > individuals (along with the MORSE Brothers) brought to the island by Saul
        > > Solomon. By the way, this Thonas was listed as a Jeweler.
        > >
        > > With the island getting so much attention lately I feel that there may be
        > > more information available.
        > >
        > > Thanks for taking the time to read this message and any information
        > received
        > > will be appreciated.
        > >
        > > Everett Faltus (faltus@...)

      • Merilyn Pedrick
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2010
          Dear Lessie

          I'm intrigued by your reference to Andrew Simon Graham.

          I have an ancestor, James Samuel Graham who went to St. Helena in 1827. He
          was a gunner with the Honerable East India Company.

          Whilst in St. Helena he and his wife Frances (possibly nee Streightfield)
          had three children, James Samuel Graham born 21 Nov 1827, Mary Ann Graham
          born 30 Jan 1830. A third child, Frances, was born in England in 1833 which
          indicates they probably returned to England before then. We come down from
          the second child, Mary Ann, but I don't know what happened to the two sons -
          they may have returned to St. Helena later.

          Any light you can throw on the ancestors of Andrew Simon Graham would be
          very helpful.

          Best wishes

          Merilyn Pedrick

          Aldgate, South Australia