Alexander Frederick Charles Contest

  • kingjohugo
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2004
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "kingjohugo" <

      I just found out that my great great grandfather didnt have any
      brothers!!!!! His name was ALEXANDER FREDERICK CHARLES CONTEST and
      this was just 1 person....He just called himself either of his given
      name at one time or another....I also found out that in 1883 he
      stated that he was 36 at the time of 1 of his childrens birth....

      Can "ANY1" text me back and let me know if there would of been such a
      man described as a NEGRO born in ST Helena in the 1800's and how he
      would have emigrated 2 Australia!!!!!

      Please im desperate......i need 2 start 2 look at ST HELENA in South
      Carolina if i am able 2 rule out this island of ST HELENA!!!!

      Thanku so very much
    • sharon marshall
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 21, 2004
        Hi there kingjohugo,
        If you send me your email address, I can send you a list of baptismal registers etc which are accessible from LDS family history centres around the world.
        Also, Sue and Urs Steiner have transcribed tombstones which may just help - ussteiner@...
        Regards
        Sharon Marshall
        I just found out that my great great grandfather didnt have any
        brothers!!!!! His name was ALEXANDER FREDERICK CHARLES CONTEST and
        this was just 1 person....He just called himself either of his given
        name at one time or another....I also found out that in 1883 he
        stated that he was 36 at the time of 1 of his childrens birth....

        Can "ANY1" text me back and let me know if there would of been such a
        man described as a NEGRO born in ST Helena in the 1800's and how he
        would have emigrated 2 Australia!!!!!

        Please im desperate......i need 2 start 2 look at ST HELENA in South
        Carolina if i am able 2 rule out this island of ST HELENA!!!!

        Thanku so very much

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/dOcplB/TM

        http://www.st-helena.org

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • colin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2004

          Hugo??,   Being a negro on St Helena in the early 19th century was very likely to mean your ancestor was a slave or descended from a slave who was either brought to the island in an earlier century or was taken off a slave ship by the RN who operated anti slave patrols along the African coast. Any captured slavers were brought to the Admiralty Court on the island where the ships were usually condemned and the cargo of slaves taken to a depot on the island. Many of them either became indentured servants or were taken on as freemen to the West Indies . There was little point taking them back to Africa as it would have been impossible to return them to their homes and more than likely they would be recaptured by the slavers.

          I’m not an expert on slavery on St Helena but what slaves there were on the island all became free in 1832 through a process known as ‘manumission’. Children of slaves born after 1818 were no longer regarded as slaves. As the owners were recompensed for setting their slaves free, the British Government sent a delegation to the island in 1828 to assess the value of each slave and the results of this survey are available in the East India Office section of the British library in a handwritten volume under the notation

          Board Collections 50866 to 50880 , 1831- 1832,  Ref: F/4/1264.

          This document provides some information about each person – from a 1 liner to a long paragraph - eg

          William Maggot,  age 55, value £12

          Cook and poulterer, tolerably useful in his own way but an infirm worn out old man; character indifferent.

          Peggy Shipbeck age 44, value £2

          Hires herself at 9/- per month. Has 3 free children and has had 13 children; subject to rheumatism; unmarried; co-habits with Sgt O’Neal St. Helena Art. ; was formerly a slave to Capt. Killin; when he left the island was purchased by Mr Harrington with 2 children for £100. She understood that she was to be free by returning the £100 to Mr Harrington by monthly instalment. She never remained with Mr Harrington as his slave but lived with the man with whom she co-habits maintaining herself and children and paying a certain sum monthly to Mr Harrington. When Mr Harrington was about to leave the island, he told her that all she had hitherto been paying was only as hire and unless she could then pay her price, he must sell her to some other person. This she could not do and with her 2 children was sold to Capt. Bennett and lives with Sgt O’Neal. Her 2 children have also been living with her. Capt. Bennett makes an allowance for maintaining the children.

          You can see from the above that being a ‘slave’at this time was not as most people imagine – Peggy was co-habitting with a sergeant in the artillery, earning a wage, and her children were being supported by Capt Bennett.

          It may be that if you could get someone to search through the above document you might find a ‘Contest’ listed that could be the parent of your ancestor. You might also find a marriage certificate – the India Office section has a card index system which lists all BMD by surname so it is relatively quick to do a search.

          Finally there were 2 other books that provide an update of the 1828 doc.

          1832  BL Record  F/4/1313 and

          1833  BL Record  F/4/1373

          Hope this is of some help. Good luck! I’d be interested to know how you get on.

          Colin Fox

          I just found out that my great great grandfather didnt have any
          brothers!!!!! His name was ALEXANDER FREDERICK CHARLES CONTEST and
          this was just 1 person....He just called himself either of his given
          name at one time or another....I also found out that in 1883 he
          stated that he was 36 at the time of 1 of his childrens birth....

          Can "ANY1" text me back and let me know if there would of been such a
          man described as a NEGRO born in ST Helena in the 1800's and how he
          would have emigrated 2 Australia!!!!!

          Please im desperate......i need 2 start 2 look at ST HELENA in South
          Carolina if i am able 2 rule out this island of ST HELENA!!!!

          Thanku so very much

          For information on
          St Helena family history see

          http://www.st-helena.org

        • leilanidreaming
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2004
            <lisagbarnes@b...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            > I am tracing my famiy tree...i am writting 2 u from AUSTRALIA!! My
            > great great grand father Charles Contest or Coutest has listed on
            his
            > death certificate that he was born in St Helena...He died in
            > Australia in 1895 aged 60 it also stated that he had been in
            > australia 4 25years prior 2 his death...He has 2 brothers ALEXANDER
            > AND ALFRED can any 1 help ps...italso said he was a "negro"

            Hi Kingjohugo,

            I am a descendant of Charles Contest, a Negro from St Helena, i am
            also in Australia, if you wish to contact me please do.