Re: Saints in SA

  • ja3nf
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 25, 2007
      -Dear Charles & John Dady,
      Send me your private e-mail addresses, please. Yahoo is not
      dispatching the article (PDF file 797KB), via this Forum.
      Charles: I know about a Knipe family from the Southern Cape. I will
      see if I can get in contact with them.
      June

      -- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Le Breton"
      <charlesx@...> wrote:

      > Could I have a copy of article please. Not sure it will help but
      see the family name Knipe included so worth a try. Others of
      particular interest are Le Breton, Newton and Wills.

      > Thanking you.
      >
      > Charles Le Breton, New Zealand

      Natal.
      > > Dr A. Schulenburg wrote "a large emigration took place in
      1871,
      > > 1872 & 1873 consequent on the change and reductions which
      followed
      > > on the opening of the Suez Canal. Emigrant vessels were
      dispatched
      > > to the Island from the Cape & Natal, inviting emigrants and
      > offering
      > > good employment in those Colonies to anyone who were disposed
      > > avail themselves of it."
      > > The St Helenians settled in the Bo-Kaap, District Six,
      Athlone,
      > > Constantia, Rondebosch - Claremont area (Harfield Road),
      Paarl,
      > > Wellington, PE and East London. (maybe some of you can add
      more
      > > places)
      > > They brought with them their social security net and
      established
      > > several benifit societies for example The Independent Friendly
      > > Society (the building still stands in Wellington dated 1885),
      and
      > > the Odd Fellows. Unfortunately member lists of these societies
      > > cannot be found. Church records will be the best place to
      start.
      > > Surnames: Adams, Andersen, Andrews, Bailey, Benjamin, Chapman,
      > > Combrinck, Daniels, Davids, Davis, Fisher, Harris, Hector,
      Isaacs,
      > > Knipe, Martin, Meyer, Peters, Petersen, Reed, Richards,
      Robinson,
      > > Smith, Thomas, Ward, Watson, Williams tec..etc..were common.
      > > Prior to the 1948 Race Classification laws the Saints were
      proud
      > > to be British subjects and tried to keep their 'British
      identity'.
      > > The next generation dissolved into the South African society
      and
      > so
      > > did the history of 2000 Saints.What a pity!!!
      > > Unfortunately many old cemetaries are abused and neglected so
      > > hardly no info can be fetched there.
      > > I am sure many of you will be able to add more info to our
      > > subject.
      > > Keep well
      > > June Nielsen-Ferreira
      > > Denmark
      > >

      > > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers

      > 1914.

      > > Helenian
      > > > family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and
      their
      > > > family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and
      > > Newlands
      > > > areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few
      St
      > > > Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to
      know
      > > how
      > > > they ended up here.
      > knew
      > > > that this was where my great grandparents were married and
      where
      > > > their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's
      > > sister
      > > > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed
      at
      > > these
      > > > events were either related and/or were originally from St
      Helena
      > > > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
      > > church
      > > > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the
      > records.
      > > > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may
      be
      > of
      > > > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and
      Yon.
      > > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened
      > > pick
      > > > up on by looking at my family's records.

      > > > Harfield
      > > > Unfortunately
      > > > contact
      > uncle's
      > > > could

      > > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
      > times
      > > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
      > dead
      > > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle
      and
      > > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we
      will
      > > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members
      and
      > > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.
      > > > June

      -----------
      > It has removed 515 spam emails to date.
      > Try SPAMfighter for free now!

    • Charles Le Breton
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
        Sorry forgot to do that charlesx@...

        Thanking you.

        Chas Le Breton

        <charlesx@.. .> wrote:

        > Could I have a copy of article please. Not sure it will help but
        see the family name Knipe included so worth a try. Others of
        particular interest are Le Breton, Newton and Wills.

        > Thanking you.
        >
        > Charles Le Breton, New Zealand

      • amclenn1
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
          Hi Genie

          I noticed you say you are from the Ward lines. Is this from St. Helena?

          thanks
          Adele

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Genie Murphy
          <genieandjim@...> wrote:

          > Dear Mr. Le Breton:
          >
          > I live in the United States and have no other Le Breton connection.
          > We are the Corker, Thorpe, Ward lines but thank you for your prompt
          > reply.
          >
          > genie Murphy
        • Genie Murphy
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
            Hi Adele

            Yes - my grandmother's sister Fainbridge Corker  married Fred Ward and they had a son Fred Ward who died on the island in 1994 However he had a daughter Yelka who lives in the united states in Oklahoma.  They also had three other children, Betty, James, Peggy and Dotty.  I have lots of information about this line if you are interested.

            Regards,
            Genie

            <genieandjim@...> wrote:

            > Dear Mr. Le Breton:
            >
            > I live in the United States and have no other Le Breton connection.
            > We are the Corker, Thorpe, Ward lines but thank you for your prompt
            > reply.
            >
            > genie Murphy

          • amclenn1
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007
              Hi Genie

              The Ward family I'm looking for were back in Britain by the later
              part of the 19th century. I don't know if one or some of them went
              over in the army or not. Albert Edward Ward married Eliza Anderson in
              Woolwich, England. She was born in St. Helena, along with her
              brother, Isaac. So, you see, I don't know who was where and when.
              It's possible your Wards aren't related at all, as there are so many
              of them.

              If any of this looks familiar, let me know.

              <genieandjim@...> wrote:

              > Hi Adele
              >
              > Yes - my grandmother's sister Fainbridge Corker married Fred Ward
              > and they had a son Fred Ward who died on the island in 1994
              However
              > he had a daughter Yelka who lives in the united states in
              Oklahoma.
              > They also had three other children, Betty, James, Peggy and Dotty.
              > have lots of information about this line if you are interested.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Genie
              > On Mar 26, 2007, at 4:14 PM, amclenn1 wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Genie
              > >
              > > I noticed you say you are from the Ward lines. Is this from St.
              > > Helena?
              > >
              > > thanks
              > > Adele
              > >
              > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Genie Murphy
              > > <genieandjim@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Dear Mr. Le Breton:
              > > >
              > > > I live in the United States and have no other Le Breton
              connection.
              > > > We are the Corker, Thorpe, Ward lines but thank you for your
              prompt
              > > > reply.
              > > >
              > > > genie Murphy

            • John Dady
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007

                Thank you June, it’s john@...

                <charlesx@.. .> wrote:

                > Could I have a copy of article please. Not sure it will help but
                see the family name Knipe included so worth a try. Others of
                particular interest are Le Breton, Newton and Wills.

                > Thanking you.
                >
                > Charles Le Breton ,
                w:st="on">New Zealand

                w:st="on">Wellington dated 1885),
> [...]
                > > sister
                > > > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed
                at
                > > these
                > > > events were either related and/or were originally from
                w:st="on">St
                Helena
                > > > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
                > > church
                > > > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the
                > records.
                > > > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may
                be
                > of
                > > > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and
                Yon.
                > > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened
                > > pick
                > > > up on by looking at my family's records.

                w:st="on">Cape are not