Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Saints in SA

  • Charles Le Breton
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 25, 2007
      Could I have a copy of article please. Not sure it will help but see the family name Knipe included so worth a try. Others of particular interest are Le Breton, Newton and Wills.

      Thanking you.

      Charles Le Breton, New Zealand

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 25, 2007
        Dear Mr. LeBreton:

        I was wondering about your last name - my great aunt lived at Villa le Breton on the island for the duration of her life and I was wondering if there was any connection to the Le Breton family and the villa le breton on the island.

        Regards,
        Genie Murphy

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
        > > contact
        > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
        uncle's
        > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
        > > could
        > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
        > > > June
        > > > >
        > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
        > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
        times
        > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
        dead
        > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
        > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
        > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
        > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

      • Charles Le Breton
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 25, 2007
          That is a question we have asked ourselves. One of our distant Le Breton family members Captain John Le Breton (possibly son of Jean Le Breton and Esther Tracy Le Breton of Jersey) lived on island from at least 1814 as he appears in 1814 census. He married Elizabeth Newton and had daughter Lucy Tracy Le Breton among others. Lucy married Thomas Wills etc. I have looked at Villa Le Breton before but not aware of any connection. Note that there is still a Ruth Le Breton living on island but again have had no contact to date. Can provide more details if you are able to help. Do you live on island perhaps?

          Regards

          Chas Le Breton

          wrote:

> [...]
          > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
          > > contact
          > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
          uncle's
          > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
          > > could
          > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
          > > > June
          > > > >
          > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
          > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
          times
          > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
          dead
          > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
          > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
          > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
          > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

        • Genie Murphy
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 25, 2007
            Dear Mr. Le Breton:

            I live in the United States and have no other Le Breton connection.  We are the Corker, Thorpe, Ward lines but thank you for your prompt reply.

            genie Murphy

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
            > > contact
            > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
            uncle's
            > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
            > > could
            > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
            > > > June
            > > > >
            > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
            > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
            times
            > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
            dead
            > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
            > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
            > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
            > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

          • ja3nf
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 25, 2007
              -Dear Charles & John Dady,
              Send me your private e-mail addresses, please. Yahoo is not
              dispatching the article (PDF file 797KB), via this Forum.
              Charles: I know about a Knipe family from the Southern Cape. I will
              see if I can get in contact with them.
              June

              -- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Le Breton"
              <charlesx@...> wrote:

              > Could I have a copy of article please. Not sure it will help but
              see the family name Knipe included so worth a try. Others of
              particular interest are Le Breton, Newton and Wills.

              > Thanking you.
              >
              > Charles Le Breton, New Zealand

            • Charles Le Breton
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
                Sorry forgot to do that charlesx@...

                Thanking you.

                Chas Le Breton

                <charlesx@.. .> wrote:

                > Could I have a copy of article please. Not sure it will help but
                see the family name Knipe included so worth a try. Others of
                particular interest are Le Breton, Newton and Wills.

                > Thanking you.
                >
                > Charles Le Breton, New Zealand

              • amclenn1
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
                  Hi Genie

                  I noticed you say you are from the Ward lines. Is this from St. Helena?

                  thanks
                  Adele

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Genie Murphy
                  <genieandjim@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Mr. Le Breton:
                  >
                  > I live in the United States and have no other Le Breton connection.
                  > We are the Corker, Thorpe, Ward lines but thank you for your prompt
                  > reply.
                  >
                  > genie Murphy
                • Genie Murphy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
                    Hi Adele

                    Yes - my grandmother's sister Fainbridge Corker  married Fred Ward and they had a son Fred Ward who died on the island in 1994 However he had a daughter Yelka who lives in the united states in Oklahoma.  They also had three other children, Betty, James, Peggy and Dotty.  I have lots of information about this line if you are interested.

                    Regards,
                    Genie

                    <genieandjim@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Mr. Le Breton:
                    >
                    > I live in the United States and have no other Le Breton connection.
                    > We are the Corker, Thorpe, Ward lines but thank you for your prompt
                    > reply.
                    >
                    > genie Murphy

                  • amclenn1
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007
                      Hi Genie

                      The Ward family I'm looking for were back in Britain by the later
                      part of the 19th century. I don't know if one or some of them went
                      over in the army or not. Albert Edward Ward married Eliza Anderson in
                      Woolwich, England. She was born in St. Helena, along with her
                      brother, Isaac. So, you see, I don't know who was where and when.
                      It's possible your Wards aren't related at all, as there are so many
                      of them.

                      If any of this looks familiar, let me know.

                      <genieandjim@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Adele
                      >
                      > Yes - my grandmother's sister Fainbridge Corker married Fred Ward
                      > and they had a son Fred Ward who died on the island in 1994
                      However
                      > he had a daughter Yelka who lives in the united states in
                      Oklahoma.
                      > They also had three other children, Betty, James, Peggy and Dotty.
                      > have lots of information about this line if you are interested.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Genie
                      > On Mar 26, 2007, at 4:14 PM, amclenn1 wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hi Genie
                      > >
                      > > I noticed you say you are from the Ward lines. Is this from St.
                      > > Helena?
                      > >
                      > > thanks
                      > > Adele
                      > >
                      > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Genie Murphy
                      > > <genieandjim@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Dear Mr. Le Breton:
                      > > >
                      > > > I live in the United States and have no other Le Breton
                      connection.
                      > > > We are the Corker, Thorpe, Ward lines but thank you for your
                      prompt
                      > > > reply.
                      > > >
                      > > > genie Murphy

                    • John Dady
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007

                        Thank you June, it’s john@...

                        <charlesx@.. .> wrote:

                        > Could I have a copy of article please. Not sure it will help but
                        see the family name Knipe included so worth a try. Others of
                        particular interest are Le Breton, Newton and Wills.

                        > Thanking you.
                        >
                        > Charles Le Breton ,
                        w:st="on">New Zealand

                        w:st="on">Wellington dated 1885),
> [...]
                        > > sister
                        > > > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed
                        at
                        > > these
                        > > > events were either related and/or were originally from
                        w:st="on">St
                        Helena
                        > > > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
                        > > church
                        > > > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the
                        > records.
                        > > > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may
                        be
                        > of
                        > > > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and
                        Yon.
                        > > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened
                        > > pick
                        > > > up on by looking at my family's records.

                        w:st="on">Cape are not