RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Gideon Family

  • colin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19, 2004

      Sigrid, Not sure if you have found this on the St Helena website . Lewis Gideon was the brother of Saul Solomon – a very well known personality on the island in the early 19th Century. Lewis’s real name was Lewis Gideon Solomon and apparently he adopted his middle name as a surname to differentiate his family from his brother.

      http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/saulsolomon.htm

      If you write to Trevor Hearl who wrote the article, he may be able to shed more light on your family. His address is at the bottom of the article. He is not on email.

      Regards

      Colin Fox

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2004
        Thank you, Colin, for pointing out the link between Lewis Gideon and
        Saul Solomon. It opened up a new world for my research!
        Sigi
      • emurcotw
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2005
          Hello! I have just come across this forum, in my search for the GIDEON
          famly. My real interst is Julia Gideon's husband, John William, a
          member of the BOVELL family of Barbados, on whom I have very detailed
          info, which I'll be happy to share if it is of interest. I am
          interested in anything further you might have on Julia's Bovell
          descendants. Thanks. Ernest Wiltshire

          I can send you a Word file with what I have put together on John
          William & Julia; not sure if I should post it here
        • sigridmcmahon
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "emurcotw" <murcot@s...>
            wrote:
            > Hello! I have just come across this forum, in my search for the
            GIDEON
            > famly. My real interst is Julia Gideon's husband, John William, a
            > member of the BOVELL family of Barbados, on whom I have very detailed
            > info, which I'll be happy to share if it is of interest. I am
            > interested in anything further you might have on Julia's Bovell
            > descendants. Thanks. Ernest Wiltshire
            >
            > I can send you a Word file with what I have put together on John
            > William & Julia; not sure if I should post it here

            Hi Ernest, I've just edited my account and hope I can now be reached
            without a problem.
            As I said in my direct mail, I've got a total of 9 Gideon children. I
            haven't got much on Julia Helena Gideon who married John William
            Bovell but I'm happy to share what I've got on the whole Gideon clan.
            Regards,
            Sigi