Re: Saints in SA

  • ja3nf
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 20, 2007
      To all of you interested in the article by P.A. Erasmus:'St.
      Helenas' aan die Kaap: migrasie, uitbuiting en assimilasie. If you
      wish to read it (in Afrikaans) you can send me a mail and I will
      forward it to you.
      June

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > Denmark
      >

      > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers
      > > <bmsegers@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in
      1914.

      > > > Cheers
      > > > Beryl
      > > >
      > > > Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > ja3nf <nilfer@> wrote: June,
      > > > Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St
      > Helenian
      > > family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
      > > family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and
      > Newlands
      > > areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few St
      > > Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know
      > how
      > > they ended up here.
      > > > I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I
      knew
      > > that this was where my great grandparents were married and where
      > > their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's
      > sister
      > > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at
      > these
      > > events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena
      > > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
      > church
      > > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the
      records.
      > > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be
      of
      > > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.
      > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to
      > pick
      > > up on by looking at my family's records.
      > > > Regards
      > > > Labieqah
      > > >

      > > > Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in
      > > Harfield
      > > > Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there.
      > > Unfortunately
      > > > the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
      > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
      > > contact
      > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
      uncle's
      > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
      > > could
      > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
      > > > June
      > > > >
      > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
      > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
      times
      > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
      dead
      > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
      > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
      > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
      > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

    • Crystal Williams
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 21, 2007
        i would like to read it - thanx!

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
        > > contact
        > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
        uncle's
        > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
        > > could
        > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
        > > > June
        > > > >
        > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
        > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
        times
        > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
        dead
        > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
        > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
        > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
        > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

        TV dinner still cooling?

      • Labieqah Camroodien
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
          Hi June,

          I would like to get a copy of the article. Thanks so much for offering to pass it on. My email address is labieqah@...

          Thanks also for the info below that you sent out last week. The comment about the St Helenians hanging on to their British identity certainly ties in with what my grandmother used to say about her St Helenian parents.

          wrote:

> [...]
          > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
          > > contact
          > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
          uncle's
          > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
          > > could
          > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
          > > > June
          > > > >
          > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
          > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
          times
          > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
          dead
          > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
          > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
          > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
          > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

        • Labieqah Camroodien
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
            > > contact
            > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
            uncle's
            > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
            > > could
            > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
            > > > June
            > > > >
            > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
            > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
            times
            > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
            dead
            > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
            > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
            > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
            > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

          • chrisioy
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 5 5:21 AM
              I know this article is very old by now, but if you can send me a copy I would appreciate it

              Chris Everett