Re: Saints in SA

  • cryswil27
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
      how did they arrive in cape town - via the RMS ST Helena? is there
      passenger lists that we can check? and is there no "immigration
      list"?
      NB: I've also noted that "ADA" was a common name on St Helena Island

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > Denmark
      >

      > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers
      > > <bmsegers@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in
      1914.

      > > > Cheers
      > > > Beryl
      > > >
      > > > Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > ja3nf <nilfer@> wrote: June,
      > > > Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St
      > Helenian
      > > family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
      > > family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and
      > Newlands
      > > areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few St
      > > Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know
      > how
      > > they ended up here.
      > > > I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I
      knew
      > > that this was where my great grandparents were married and where
      > > their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's
      > sister
      > > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at
      > these
      > > events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena
      > > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
      > church
      > > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the
      records.
      > > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be
      of
      > > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.
      > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to
      > pick
      > > up on by looking at my family's records.
      > > > Regards
      > > > Labieqah
      > > >

      > > > Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in
      > > Harfield
      > > > Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there.
      > > Unfortunately
      > > > the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
      > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
      > > contact
      > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
      uncle's
      > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
      > > could
      > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
      > > > June
      > > > >
      > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
      > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
      times
      > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
      dead
      > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
      > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
      > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
      > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

    • Labieqah Camroodien
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 15, 2007
        Leonard,

        The reason I mentioned Maggott is because I'm sure I've seen correspondence on this forum in the past about certain Maggotts. Have you seen these?

        There is nothing to indicate that the Maggotts are related to my family but I have a Henrietta Agnes Maggott who was a witness at my great aunt's baptism. Also in the church's records, on the off chance that this might mean anything to you, I saw the following marriage entries, both on 24/4/1916:

        Christopher Michael Kemp married Jessie Maud Elizabeth Maggott (David Maggott was a witness)

        Fredie Mathew Bam married Mary Selina Maggott (Hettie Maggott was a witness)

        All were listed as residing in Claremont.

        Regards
        Labieqah

        London, UK

        Leonard Meek <lemeek@...> wrote:
        I was in contact with someone in SA several years ago regarding the Maggott family. That was before I found out that the Maggotts and Magnetts were apparently the same. I have since lost the name and address. Also, I read somewhere that several Maggott's lived in Deerhurst, England and that the name morphed into "Macket and Margate." As far as the Magnetts are concerned, one Charles Magnett settled in Hawaii and one Benjamin Magnett settled in Massachusetts.

      • ja3nf
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 15, 2007
          -Unfortunately I have not succeed in getting the shipping and
          passengerlists information. I doubt if it still exist. I approached
          Dr A. Schulenberg about the names of companies which offered the
          Saints occupations during 1871 - 1873 but he too could not help. My
          g.grandfather and some of his family members (Thomas males) worked
          for the railways.
          I wonder why the school history books never mentioned that 2000 St
          Helenians immigrated to SA.
          June

          -- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cryswil27"
          <cryswil27@...> wrote:

> [...]
          Yon.
          > > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened
          > > pick
          > > > up on by looking at my family's records.

          > > > Harfield
          > > > Unfortunately
          > > > contact
          > uncle's
          > > > could

          > > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
          > times
          > > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
          > dead
          > > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle
          and
          > > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we
          will
          > > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
          > > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

        • Leonard Meek
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 16, 2007
            Labieqah,

            Thanks for the info. I don't think I can relate to any of the names mentioned but maybe my cousin can. Her family maintained contact with the island well into the 1900's. My gg grandfather arrived here in Hawaii prior to 1845 and took out out citizenship. He died in 1859. His wife died in 1848 and his only child, my great grandmother, was sent to school in Pennsylvania. After that all contact with the island was lost.

            Leonard
            Hawaii
          • ja3nf
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 20, 2007
              To all of you interested in the article by P.A. Erasmus:'St.
              Helenas' aan die Kaap: migrasie, uitbuiting en assimilasie. If you
              wish to read it (in Afrikaans) you can send me a mail and I will
              forward it to you.
              June

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
              > > contact
              > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
              uncle's
              > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
              > > could
              > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
              > > > June
              > > > >
              > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
              > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
              times
              > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
              dead
              > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
              > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
              > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
              > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

            • Crystal Williams
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 21, 2007
                i would like to read it - thanx!

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                > > contact
                > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                uncle's
                > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                > > could
                > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                > > > June
                > > > >
                > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                times
                > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                dead
                > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                TV dinner still cooling?

              • Labieqah Camroodien
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
                  Hi June,

                  I would like to get a copy of the article. Thanks so much for offering to pass it on. My email address is labieqah@...

                  Thanks also for the info below that you sent out last week. The comment about the St Helenians hanging on to their British identity certainly ties in with what my grandmother used to say about her St Helenian parents.

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                  > > contact
                  > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                  uncle's
                  > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                  > > could
                  > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                  > > > June
                  > > > >
                  > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                  > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                  times
                  > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                  dead
                  > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                  > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                  > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                  > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                • Labieqah Camroodien
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                    > > contact
                    > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                    uncle's
                    > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                    > > could
                    > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                    > > > June
                    > > > >
                    > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                    > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                    times
                    > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                    dead
                    > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                    > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                    > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                    > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                  • chrisioy
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
                      I know this article is very old by now, but if you can send me a copy I would appreciate it

                      Chris Everett