Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Shoesmith Family

  • Kevin Purvis
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2007
      Some people not only changed their names, but also changed their dates and places of birth. Two of my ancestors from St. Helena claimed to have been 'born at sea' to cover their origins. In the 1940's when the Nationalist Party took power in RSA, some St. Helenians, owing to their 'mixed blood' backgrounds, destroyed all evidence of their past ( photo's, letters, books, etc. ) and did not pass family history on to their offspring. My father became a chief magistrate in RSA, during the rule of the Nationalist Government, but for many years his promotions were witheld as he was 'vaguely suspected' as being of 'oriental origin'.
      This is aprtly why it is so frustrating to find history on St. Helenians who arrived and lived in South Africa.
      Kevin.