Shoesmith Family

  • aldridge.fisher
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2007
      I am looking for information about my Great Grandmother known to us as
      Kate Alfredina Shoesmith. Her maiden name is Shoesmith and she would
      have been born on St. Helena approximately between 1850 and 1900.

      She married Luke Culverwell from Kimberley in South Africa and they
      moved to Zimbabwe where they married, I think in either Kimberley or
      Bulawayo. They moved to Harare and brought up their family. Kate did
      take her Grandchildren on a trip to St. Helena twice, the only times
      that I am aware she visited the Island before she died.

      I have very little information on Kate's family that resided on St.
      Helena, but from the little research and direct contact that I have
      had with St. Helena, there is no baptism record of a Kate Alfredina
      Shoesmith. There is a record of a Mary Ada Sabina Shoesmith, who was
      said to be Kate. This information was passed on to me in 1997.

      I have not made any effort since then to find out the exact
      information for various reasons but I am very interested since Kate's
      last surviving daughter has recently passed away and has told the
      family that Kate's history is not what we think.

      Any help will into where I can begin my research will be very much
      appreciated!
    • cryswil27
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2007
        This is VERY INTERESTING!! because I am starting to think that my
        great-great-grandmother's history is also not adding up! and that
        maybe she might've been married before she married my gg-grandfather
        and not mentioned it!I wonder if people changed their names when
        they arrived in south africa from the island!
        Crystal, Cape Town-South Africa

        -- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "aldridge.fisher"