Gideon Family

  • sigridmcmahon
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
      I am looking for information on the family of Lewis Gideon (Abt 1789-
      1868). In 1855 he was appointed Consul at St. Helena for His Majersty
      the King of Portugal and the Algarve. Two known children:
      Julia Helena Gideon and Luna Kempthorn Gideon, both were married on
      St. Helena. Julia Helena Gideon in 1840 to J.W. Bovell(?) and Luna
      Kempthorn Gideon in 1857 to John Baldwin Hainault Rainier.
    • colin
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2004

        Sigrid, Not sure if you have found this on the St Helena website . Lewis Gideon was the brother of Saul Solomon – a very well known personality on the island in the early 19th Century. Lewis’s real name was Lewis Gideon Solomon and apparently he adopted his middle name as a surname to differentiate his family from his brother.

        http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/saulsolomon.htm

        If you write to Trevor Hearl who wrote the article, he may be able to shed more light on your family. His address is at the bottom of the article. He is not on email.

        Regards

        Colin Fox

        I am looking for information on the family of Lewis Gideon (Abt 1789-
        1868). In 1855 he was appointed Consul at
        St. Helena for His Majersty
        the King of Portugal and the
        Algarve. Two known children:
        Julia Helena Gideon and Luna Kempthorn Gideon, both were married on
        St. Helena. Julia Helena Gideon in 1840 to J.W. Bovell(?) and Luna
        Kempthorn Gideon in 1857 to John Baldwin Hainault
        Rainier.

        For information on
        St Helena family history see

        http://www.st-helena.org

      • sigridmcmahon
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2004
          Thank you, Colin, for pointing out the link between Lewis Gideon and
          Saul Solomon. It opened up a new world for my research!
          Sigi
        • emurcotw
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2005
            Hello! I have just come across this forum, in my search for the GIDEON
            famly. My real interst is Julia Gideon's husband, John William, a
            member of the BOVELL family of Barbados, on whom I have very detailed
            info, which I'll be happy to share if it is of interest. I am
            interested in anything further you might have on Julia's Bovell
            descendants. Thanks. Ernest Wiltshire

            I can send you a Word file with what I have put together on John
            William & Julia; not sure if I should post it here
          • sigridmcmahon
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "emurcotw" <murcot@s...>
              wrote:
              > Hello! I have just come across this forum, in my search for the
              GIDEON
              > famly. My real interst is Julia Gideon's husband, John William, a
              > member of the BOVELL family of Barbados, on whom I have very detailed
              > info, which I'll be happy to share if it is of interest. I am
              > interested in anything further you might have on Julia's Bovell
              > descendants. Thanks. Ernest Wiltshire
              >
              > I can send you a Word file with what I have put together on John
              > William & Julia; not sure if I should post it here

              Hi Ernest, I've just edited my account and hope I can now be reached
              without a problem.
              As I said in my direct mail, I've got a total of 9 Gideon children. I
              haven't got much on Julia Helena Gideon who married John William
              Bovell but I'm happy to share what I've got on the whole Gideon clan.
              Regards,
              Sigi