Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Claremont

  • Beryl Segers
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 13 9:12 PM
      Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in 1914.

      Cheers
      Beryl

      Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@...> wrote:

      ja3nf <nilfer@mail. dk> wrote:
      June,
      Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St Helenian family ended up in Claremont.  My great grandparents and their family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and Newlands areas.  I have also gathered that there must have been a few St Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know how they ended up here.
      I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I knew that this was where my great grandparents were married and where their children were christened.  Same goes for my gg mother's sister and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at these events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this church and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the records.  Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be of interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.  There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to pick up on by looking at my family's records.
      Regards
      Labieqah

      Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in Harfield
      Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there. Unfortunately
      the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
      recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in contact
      (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s uncle's
      offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and could
      see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
      June

    • Leonard Meek
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 14 2:29 AM
        Funny you should mention the name, "Maggott." That was apparently my ancestor's name before they changed it to "Magnett." According to records on the island, they were "Honorable Slaves." Information on them is very sketchy. It would be so cool if there was anyone with some history on the Maggott family.

        Leonard Meek
        Hawaii

      • sharon.marshall
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 14 2:34 AM
          I don't know if this helps, but there are at least 20 Maggotts listed in the Cape Town directory, and 45 entries in the South Africa National Archives (http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/).
          Sharon Marshall
          Cape Town
          Funny you should mention the name, "Maggott." That was apparently my ancestor's name before they changed it to "Magnett." According to records on the island, they were "Honorable Slaves." Information on them is very sketchy. It would be so cool if there was anyone with some history on the Maggott family.

          Leonard Meek
          Hawaii

        • ja3nf
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 14 4:44 AM
            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers
            <bmsegers@...> wrote:

            > Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in 1914.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Beryl
            >
            > Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@...> wrote:
            >

            > ja3nf <nilfer@...> wrote: June,
            > Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St Helenian
            family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
            family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and Newlands
            areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few St
            Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know how
            they ended up here.
            > I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I knew
            that this was where my great grandparents were married and where
            their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's sister
            and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at these
            events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena
            too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this church
            and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the records.
            Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be of
            interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.
            There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to pick
            up on by looking at my family's records.
            > Regards
            > Labieqah
            >

            > Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in
            Harfield
            > Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there.
            Unfortunately
            > the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
            > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
            contact
            > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's uncle's
            > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
            could
            > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
            > June
            > >
            >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
            We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many times
            we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a dead
            ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
            start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
            stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
            ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.
            June
          • ja3nf
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 14 2:59 PM
              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@...>
              wrote:
              Due to the economic depression on St Helena and the demand for
              labour in SA (from thr article Settlers and Slaves) led to the
              emigration of more than 2000 St Helenians to the Cape and Natal.
              Dr A. Schulenburg wrote "a large emigration took place in 1871,
              1872 & 1873 consequent on the change and reductions which followed
              on the opening of the Suez Canal. Emigrant vessels were dispatched
              to the Island from the Cape & Natal, inviting emigrants and offering
              good employment in those Colonies to anyone who were disposed to
              avail themselves of it."
              The St Helenians settled in the Bo-Kaap, District Six, Athlone,
              Constantia, Rondebosch - Claremont area (Harfield Road), Paarl,
              Wellington, PE and East London. (maybe some of you can add more
              places)
              They brought with them their social security net and established
              several benifit societies for example The Independent Friendly
              Society (the building still stands in Wellington dated 1885), and
              the Odd Fellows. Unfortunately member lists of these societies
              cannot be found. Church records will be the best place to start.
              Surnames: Adams, Andersen, Andrews, Bailey, Benjamin, Chapman,
              Combrinck, Daniels, Davids, Davis, Fisher, Harris, Hector, Isaacs,
              Knipe, Martin, Meyer, Peters, Petersen, Reed, Richards, Robinson,
              Smith, Thomas, Ward, Watson, Williams tec..etc..were common.
              Prior to the 1948 Race Classification laws the Saints were proud
              to be British subjects and tried to keep their 'British identity'.
              The next generation dissolved into the South African society and so
              did the history of 2000 Saints.What a pity!!!
              Unfortunately many old cemetaries are abused and neglected so
              hardly no info can be fetched there.
              I am sure many of you will be able to add more info to our
              subject.
              Keep well
              June Nielsen-Ferreira
              Denmark

              > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers
              > <bmsegers@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in 1914.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > Beryl
              > >
              > > Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@> wrote:
              > >

              > > ja3nf <nilfer@> wrote: June,
              > > Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St
              Helenian
              > family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
              > family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and
              Newlands
              > areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few St
              > Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know
              how
              > they ended up here.
              > > I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I knew
              > that this was where my great grandparents were married and where
              > their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's
              sister
              > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at
              these
              > events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena
              > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
              church
              > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the records.
              > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be of
              > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.
              > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to
              pick
              > up on by looking at my family's records.
              > > Regards
              > > Labieqah
              > >

              > > Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in
              > Harfield
              > > Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there.
              > Unfortunately
              > > the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
              > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
              > contact
              > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's uncle's
              > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
              > could
              > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
              > > June
              > > >
              > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
              > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many times
              > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a dead
              > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
              > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
              > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
              > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.
              > June

            • cryswil27
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 14 10:46 PM
                how did they arrive in cape town - via the RMS ST Helena? is there
                passenger lists that we can check? and is there no "immigration
                list"?
                NB: I've also noted that "ADA" was a common name on St Helena Island

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                > > contact
                > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
                uncle's
                > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                > > could
                > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                > > > June
                > > > >
                > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                times
                > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                dead
                > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

              • Leonard Meek
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 15 1:51 AM
                  I was in contact with someone in SA several years ago regarding the Maggott family. That was before I found out that the Maggotts and Magnetts were apparently the same. I have since lost the name and address. Also, I read somewhere that several Maggott's lived in Deerhurst, England and that the name morphed into "Macket and Margate." As far as the Magnetts are concerned, one Charles Magnett settled in Hawaii and one Benjamin Magnett settled in Massachusetts.
                • Labieqah Camroodien
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 15 9:03 AM
                    Leonard,

                    The reason I mentioned Maggott is because I'm sure I've seen correspondence on this forum in the past about certain Maggotts. Have you seen these?

                    There is nothing to indicate that the Maggotts are related to my family but I have a Henrietta Agnes Maggott who was a witness at my great aunt's baptism. Also in the church's records, on the off chance that this might mean anything to you, I saw the following marriage entries, both on 24/4/1916:

                    Christopher Michael Kemp married Jessie Maud Elizabeth Maggott (David Maggott was a witness)

                    Fredie Mathew Bam married Mary Selina Maggott (Hettie Maggott was a witness)

                    All were listed as residing in Claremont.

                    Regards
                    Labieqah

                    London, UK

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 15 3:01 PM
                      -Unfortunately I have not succeed in getting the shipping and
                      passengerlists information. I doubt if it still exist. I approached
                      Dr A. Schulenberg about the names of companies which offered the
                      Saints occupations during 1871 - 1873 but he too could not help. My
                      g.grandfather and some of his family members (Thomas males) worked
                      for the railways.
                      I wonder why the school history books never mentioned that 2000 St
                      Helenians immigrated to SA.
                      June

                      -- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cryswil27"
                      <cryswil27@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      Yon.
                      > > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened
                      > > pick
                      > > > up on by looking at my family's records.

                      > > > Harfield
                      > > > Unfortunately
                      > > > contact
                      > uncle's
                      > > > could

                      > > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                      > times
                      > > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                      > dead
                      > > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle
                      and
                      > > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we
                      will
                      > > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                      > > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                    • Leonard Meek
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 16 2:00 AM
                        Labieqah,

                        Thanks for the info. I don't think I can relate to any of the names mentioned but maybe my cousin can. Her family maintained contact with the island well into the 1900's. My gg grandfather arrived here in Hawaii prior to 1845 and took out out citizenship. He died in 1859. His wife died in 1848 and his only child, my great grandmother, was sent to school in Pennsylvania. After that all contact with the island was lost.

                        Leonard
                        Hawaii
                      • ja3nf
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 20 12:07 PM
                          To all of you interested in the article by P.A. Erasmus:'St.
                          Helenas' aan die Kaap: migrasie, uitbuiting en assimilasie. If you
                          wish to read it (in Afrikaans) you can send me a mail and I will
                          forward it to you.
                          June

                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                          > > contact
                          > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
                          uncle's
                          > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                          > > could
                          > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                          > > > June
                          > > > >
                          > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                          > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                          times
                          > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                          dead
                          > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                          > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                          > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                          > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                        • Crystal Williams
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 21 3:20 AM
                            i would like to read it - thanx!

                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                            > > contact
                            > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                            uncle's
                            > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                            > > could
                            > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                            > > > June
                            > > > >
                            > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                            > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                            times
                            > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                            dead
                            > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                            > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                            > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                            > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                            TV dinner still cooling?

                          • Labieqah Camroodien
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 23 11:21 AM
                              Hi June,

                              I would like to get a copy of the article. Thanks so much for offering to pass it on. My email address is labieqah@...

                              Thanks also for the info below that you sent out last week. The comment about the St Helenians hanging on to their British identity certainly ties in with what my grandmother used to say about her St Helenian parents.

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                              > > contact
                              > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                              uncle's
                              > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                              > > could
                              > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                              > > > June
                              > > > >
                              > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                              > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                              times
                              > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                              dead
                              > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                              > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                              > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                              > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                            • Labieqah Camroodien
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 23 11:21 AM

                                wrote:

> [...]
                                > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                                > > contact
                                > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                                uncle's
                                > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                                > > could
                                > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                                > > > June
                                > > > >
                                > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                                > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                                times
                                > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                                dead
                                > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                                > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                                > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                                > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                              • chrisioy
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
                                  I know this article is very old by now, but if you can send me a copy I would appreciate it

                                  Chris Everett