Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Claremont

  • Labieqah Camroodien
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
      ja3nf <nilfer@...> wrote:
      June,
      Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St Helenian family ended up in Claremont.  My great grandparents and their family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and Newlands areas.  I have also gathered that there must have been a few St Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know how they ended up here.
      I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I knew that this was where my great grandparents were married and where their children were christened.  Same goes for my gg mother's sister and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at these events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this church and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the records.  Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be of interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.  There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to pick up on by looking at my family's records.
      Regards
      Labieqah

      Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in Harfield
      Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there. Unfortunately
      the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
      recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in contact
      (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s uncle's
      offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and could
      see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
      June

    • Beryl Segers
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
        Hi Labieqah

        I read your posting with interest. I have been researching my father's history over the last couple of years. I live in Sydney, Australia and its very difficult doing it from here. My father I understand was born a Bennett and later adopted by the Crosher family originally from the UK but lived in Lansdowne/Claremont. I was overjoyed recently when I finally found something, the divorce of his first marriage in 1946 to Eileen Van Eyssen. If anyone in the forum can help me, he was born Bejamin Bennett and later assumed the last name Crosher. He had 3 other siblings and they were all separated. One of his sisters had twin sons who I believe would be in their 60's. Unfortunately we do not know names so its a hard slog.

        I will be visiting Cape Town at the end of this year and hope to be able to find out more details.

        Thanks
        Beryl

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
            Funny you should mention the name, "Maggott." That was apparently my ancestor's name before they changed it to "Magnett." According to records on the island, they were "Honorable Slaves." Information on them is very sketchy. It would be so cool if there was anyone with some history on the Maggott family.

            Leonard Meek
            Hawaii

          • sharon.marshall
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
              I don't know if this helps, but there are at least 20 Maggotts listed in the Cape Town directory, and 45 entries in the South Africa National Archives (http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/).
              Sharon Marshall
              Cape Town
              Funny you should mention the name, "Maggott." That was apparently my ancestor's name before they changed it to "Magnett." According to records on the island, they were "Honorable Slaves." Information on them is very sketchy. It would be so cool if there was anyone with some history on the Maggott family.

              Leonard Meek
              Hawaii

            • ja3nf
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers
                <bmsegers@...> wrote:

                > Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in 1914.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Beryl
                >
                > Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@...> wrote:
                >

                > ja3nf <nilfer@...> wrote: June,
                > Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St Helenian
                family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
                family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and Newlands
                areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few St
                Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know how
                they ended up here.
                > I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I knew
                that this was where my great grandparents were married and where
                their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's sister
                and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at these
                events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena
                too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this church
                and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the records.
                Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be of
                interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.
                There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to pick
                up on by looking at my family's records.
                > Regards
                > Labieqah
                >

                > Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in
                Harfield
                > Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there.
                Unfortunately
                > the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
                > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                contact
                > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's uncle's
                > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                could
                > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                > June
                > >
                >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many times
                we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a dead
                ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.
                June
              • ja3nf
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@...>
                  wrote:
                  Due to the economic depression on St Helena and the demand for
                  labour in SA (from thr article Settlers and Slaves) led to the
                  emigration of more than 2000 St Helenians to the Cape and Natal.
                  Dr A. Schulenburg wrote "a large emigration took place in 1871,
                  1872 & 1873 consequent on the change and reductions which followed
                  on the opening of the Suez Canal. Emigrant vessels were dispatched
                  to the Island from the Cape & Natal, inviting emigrants and offering
                  good employment in those Colonies to anyone who were disposed to
                  avail themselves of it."
                  The St Helenians settled in the Bo-Kaap, District Six, Athlone,
                  Constantia, Rondebosch - Claremont area (Harfield Road), Paarl,
                  Wellington, PE and East London. (maybe some of you can add more
                  places)
                  They brought with them their social security net and established
                  several benifit societies for example The Independent Friendly
                  Society (the building still stands in Wellington dated 1885), and
                  the Odd Fellows. Unfortunately member lists of these societies
                  cannot be found. Church records will be the best place to start.
                  Surnames: Adams, Andersen, Andrews, Bailey, Benjamin, Chapman,
                  Combrinck, Daniels, Davids, Davis, Fisher, Harris, Hector, Isaacs,
                  Knipe, Martin, Meyer, Peters, Petersen, Reed, Richards, Robinson,
                  Smith, Thomas, Ward, Watson, Williams tec..etc..were common.
                  Prior to the 1948 Race Classification laws the Saints were proud
                  to be British subjects and tried to keep their 'British identity'.
                  The next generation dissolved into the South African society and so
                  did the history of 2000 Saints.What a pity!!!
                  Unfortunately many old cemetaries are abused and neglected so
                  hardly no info can be fetched there.
                  I am sure many of you will be able to add more info to our
                  subject.
                  Keep well
                  June Nielsen-Ferreira
                  Denmark

                  > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers
                  > <bmsegers@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in 1914.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers
                  > > Beryl
                  > >
                  > > Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > ja3nf <nilfer@> wrote: June,
                  > > Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St
                  Helenian
                  > family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
                  > family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and
                  Newlands
                  > areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few St
                  > Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know
                  how
                  > they ended up here.
                  > > I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I knew
                  > that this was where my great grandparents were married and where
                  > their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's
                  sister
                  > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at
                  these
                  > events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena
                  > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
                  church
                  > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the records.
                  > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be of
                  > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.
                  > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to
                  pick
                  > up on by looking at my family's records.
                  > > Regards
                  > > Labieqah
                  > >

                  > > Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in
                  > Harfield
                  > > Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there.
                  > Unfortunately
                  > > the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
                  > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                  > contact
                  > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's uncle's
                  > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                  > could
                  > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                  > > June
                  > > >
                  > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                  > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many times
                  > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a dead
                  > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                  > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                  > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                  > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.
                  > June

                • cryswil27
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                    how did they arrive in cape town - via the RMS ST Helena? is there
                    passenger lists that we can check? and is there no "immigration
                    list"?
                    NB: I've also noted that "ADA" was a common name on St Helena Island

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                    > > contact
                    > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
                    uncle's
                    > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                    > > could
                    > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                    > > > June
                    > > > >
                    > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                    > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                    times
                    > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                    dead
                    > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                    > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                    > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                    > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                  • Leonard Meek
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 15, 2007
                      I was in contact with someone in SA several years ago regarding the Maggott family. That was before I found out that the Maggotts and Magnetts were apparently the same. I have since lost the name and address. Also, I read somewhere that several Maggott's lived in Deerhurst, England and that the name morphed into "Macket and Margate." As far as the Magnetts are concerned, one Charles Magnett settled in Hawaii and one Benjamin Magnett settled in Massachusetts.
                    • Labieqah Camroodien
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 15, 2007
                        Leonard,

                        The reason I mentioned Maggott is because I'm sure I've seen correspondence on this forum in the past about certain Maggotts. Have you seen these?

                        There is nothing to indicate that the Maggotts are related to my family but I have a Henrietta Agnes Maggott who was a witness at my great aunt's baptism. Also in the church's records, on the off chance that this might mean anything to you, I saw the following marriage entries, both on 24/4/1916:

                        Christopher Michael Kemp married Jessie Maud Elizabeth Maggott (David Maggott was a witness)

                        Fredie Mathew Bam married Mary Selina Maggott (Hettie Maggott was a witness)

                        All were listed as residing in Claremont.

                        Regards
                        Labieqah

                        London, UK

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 15, 2007
                          -Unfortunately I have not succeed in getting the shipping and
                          passengerlists information. I doubt if it still exist. I approached
                          Dr A. Schulenberg about the names of companies which offered the
                          Saints occupations during 1871 - 1873 but he too could not help. My
                          g.grandfather and some of his family members (Thomas males) worked
                          for the railways.
                          I wonder why the school history books never mentioned that 2000 St
                          Helenians immigrated to SA.
                          June

                          -- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cryswil27"
                          <cryswil27@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          Yon.
                          > > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened
                          > > pick
                          > > > up on by looking at my family's records.

                          > > > Harfield
                          > > > Unfortunately
                          > > > contact
                          > uncle's
                          > > > could

                          > > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                          > times
                          > > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                          > dead
                          > > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle
                          and
                          > > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we
                          will
                          > > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                          > > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                        • Leonard Meek
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 16, 2007
                            Labieqah,

                            Thanks for the info. I don't think I can relate to any of the names mentioned but maybe my cousin can. Her family maintained contact with the island well into the 1900's. My gg grandfather arrived here in Hawaii prior to 1845 and took out out citizenship. He died in 1859. His wife died in 1848 and his only child, my great grandmother, was sent to school in Pennsylvania. After that all contact with the island was lost.

                            Leonard
                            Hawaii
                          • ja3nf
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 20, 2007
                              To all of you interested in the article by P.A. Erasmus:'St.
                              Helenas' aan die Kaap: migrasie, uitbuiting en assimilasie. If you
                              wish to read it (in Afrikaans) you can send me a mail and I will
                              forward it to you.
                              June

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                              > > contact
                              > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
                              uncle's
                              > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                              > > could
                              > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                              > > > June
                              > > > >
                              > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                              > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                              times
                              > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                              dead
                              > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                              > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                              > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                              > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                            • Crystal Williams
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 21, 2007
                                i would like to read it - thanx!

                                wrote:

> [...]
                                > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                                > > contact
                                > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                                uncle's
                                > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                                > > could
                                > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                                > > > June
                                > > > >
                                > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                                > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                                times
                                > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                                dead
                                > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                                > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                                > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                                > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                                TV dinner still cooling?

                              • Labieqah Camroodien
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
                                  Hi June,

                                  I would like to get a copy of the article. Thanks so much for offering to pass it on. My email address is labieqah@...

                                  Thanks also for the info below that you sent out last week. The comment about the St Helenians hanging on to their British identity certainly ties in with what my grandmother used to say about her St Helenian parents.

                                  wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                                  > > contact
                                  > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                                  uncle's
                                  > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                                  > > could
                                  > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                                  > > > June
                                  > > > >
                                  > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                                  > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                                  times
                                  > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                                  dead
                                  > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                                  > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                                  > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                                  > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                                • Labieqah Camroodien
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007

                                    wrote:

> [...]
                                    > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                                    > > contact
                                    > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                                    uncle's
                                    > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                                    > > could
                                    > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                                    > > > June
                                    > > > >
                                    > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                                    > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                                    times
                                    > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                                    dead
                                    > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                                    > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                                    > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                                    > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                                  • chrisioy
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
                                      I know this article is very old by now, but if you can send me a copy I would appreciate it

                                      Chris Everett