strawberry lane, constantia

  • cryswil27
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 11, 2007
      i have recently discovered (while searching my family tree) - there
      there was a group of st helenian's who lived in strawberry lane,
      constantia, cape town around 1920 - 1940. does this ring a bell for
      anyone?
      CRYSTAL
    • ja3nf
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cryswil27" <cryswil27@...>
        wrote:

        > i have recently discovered (while searching my family tree) - there
        > there was a group of st helenian's who lived in strawberry lane,
        > constantia, cape town around 1920 - 1940. does this ring a bell for
        > anyone?
        > CRYSTAL
        >Hi Crystal, Will you please be so kind to tell us more about the
        Strawberry Lane St Helenians.

        June
      • cryswil27
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007
          I am still trying to find out some informtion because what i heard was
          sketchy: my grandfather remembered that my great-great-grandparents
          lived in constantia at one point - so my aunt and i started visiting
          the cemetries in contantia checking on gravestones to see if any of
          our family members were buried there- but no luck. two weeks ago my
          aunt decided to check the muslim / malay cemetry that is close to
          strawberry lane and she met a gentleman in his late seventies- she
          told him about her search and he too had family who lived in
          constantia - strawberry lane constantia and his great-grandmother was
          also from St - helena island - he took my aunt to other friends and
          their siblings whose family also lived in strawberry lane - but the
          thing is that these people are all almost 80 and they can't remember
          all the details and mostly they know people by their nicknames -but
          what they all said was that most of the people who lived in strawberry
          lane at that time 1920 - 1945/50 all came from St helena island. this
          particular gentleman remembered one of my great-grandfather's sisters -
          and also remembered coming to visit other St helenian;s here in cape
          town (bo kaap) with his grandmother.

          i went to the cape town national library friday past- but didn't find
          a listing for strawberry lane in that time - hence my mail to get some
          information- my search has been very frustrating because my great-
          great-grandparents were coloured and it seems that coloureds records
          weren't kept in that time - so everytime i get a lead and do the
          search - it ends up fruitless. I have now emailed the wine farms
          around strawberry lane to find out if they have any "employee
          registers" of that time - to see if anything comes up!

          CRYSTAL
          my In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@...> wrote:

          > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cryswil27" <cryswil27@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > i have recently discovered (while searching my family tree) - there
          > > there was a group of st helenian's who lived in strawberry lane,
          > > constantia, cape town around 1920 - 1940. does this ring a bell for
          > > anyone?
          > > CRYSTAL
          > >Hi Crystal, Will you please be so kind to tell us more about the
          > Strawberry Lane St Helenians.
          >
          > June

        • ja3nf
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
            <cryswil27@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > search - it ends up fruitless. I have now emailed the wine farms
            > around strawberry lane to find out if they have any "employee
            > registers" of that time - to see if anything comes up!
            >
            > CRYSTAL
            > my In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@>
            wrote:

            > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cryswil27"
            <cryswil27@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > i have recently discovered (while searching my family tree) -
            there
            > > > there was a group of st helenian's who lived in strawberry
            lane,
            > > > constantia, cape town around 1920 - 1940. does this ring a
            bell for
            > > > anyone?
            > > > CRYSTAL
            > > >Hi Crystal, Will you please be so kind to tell us more about the

            Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in Harfield
            Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there. Unfortunately
            the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
            recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in contact
            (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's uncle's
            offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and could
            see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
            June

          • Labieqah Camroodien
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
              ja3nf <nilfer@...> wrote:
              June,
              Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St Helenian family ended up in Claremont.  My great grandparents and their family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and Newlands areas.  I have also gathered that there must have been a few St Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know how they ended up here.
              I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I knew that this was where my great grandparents were married and where their children were christened.  Same goes for my gg mother's sister and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at these events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this church and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the records.  Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be of interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.  There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to pick up on by looking at my family's records.
              Regards
              Labieqah

              Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in Harfield
              Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there. Unfortunately
              the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
              recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in contact
              (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s uncle's
              offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and could
              see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
              June

            • Beryl Segers
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
                Hi Labieqah

                I read your posting with interest. I have been researching my father's history over the last couple of years. I live in Sydney, Australia and its very difficult doing it from here. My father I understand was born a Bennett and later adopted by the Crosher family originally from the UK but lived in Lansdowne/Claremont. I was overjoyed recently when I finally found something, the divorce of his first marriage in 1946 to Eileen Van Eyssen. If anyone in the forum can help me, he was born Bejamin Bennett and later assumed the last name Crosher. He had 3 other siblings and they were all separated. One of his sisters had twin sons who I believe would be in their 60's. Unfortunately we do not know names so its a hard slog.

                I will be visiting Cape Town at the end of this year and hope to be able to find out more details.

                Thanks
                Beryl

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                    Funny you should mention the name, "Maggott." That was apparently my ancestor's name before they changed it to "Magnett." According to records on the island, they were "Honorable Slaves." Information on them is very sketchy. It would be so cool if there was anyone with some history on the Maggott family.

                    Leonard Meek
                    Hawaii

                  • sharon.marshall
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                      I don't know if this helps, but there are at least 20 Maggotts listed in the Cape Town directory, and 45 entries in the South Africa National Archives (http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/).
                      Sharon Marshall
                      Cape Town

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers
                        <bmsegers@...> wrote:

                        > Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in 1914.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Beryl
                        >
                        > Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > ja3nf <nilfer@...> wrote: June,
                        > Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St Helenian
                        family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
                        family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and Newlands
                        areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few St
                        Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know how
                        they ended up here.
                        > I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I knew
                        that this was where my great grandparents were married and where
                        their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's sister
                        and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at these
                        events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena
                        too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this church
                        and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the records.
                        Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be of
                        interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.
                        There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to pick
                        up on by looking at my family's records.
                        > Regards
                        > Labieqah
                        >

                        > Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in
                        Harfield
                        > Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there.
                        Unfortunately
                        > the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
                        > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                        contact
                        > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's uncle's
                        > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                        could
                        > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                        > June
                        > >
                        >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                        We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many times
                        we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a dead
                        ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                        start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                        stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                        ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.
                        June
                      • ja3nf
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@...>
                          wrote:
                          Due to the economic depression on St Helena and the demand for
                          labour in SA (from thr article Settlers and Slaves) led to the
                          emigration of more than 2000 St Helenians to the Cape and Natal.
                          Dr A. Schulenburg wrote "a large emigration took place in 1871,
                          1872 & 1873 consequent on the change and reductions which followed
                          on the opening of the Suez Canal. Emigrant vessels were dispatched
                          to the Island from the Cape & Natal, inviting emigrants and offering
                          good employment in those Colonies to anyone who were disposed to
                          avail themselves of it."
                          The St Helenians settled in the Bo-Kaap, District Six, Athlone,
                          Constantia, Rondebosch - Claremont area (Harfield Road), Paarl,
                          Wellington, PE and East London. (maybe some of you can add more
                          places)
                          They brought with them their social security net and established
                          several benifit societies for example The Independent Friendly
                          Society (the building still stands in Wellington dated 1885), and
                          the Odd Fellows. Unfortunately member lists of these societies
                          cannot be found. Church records will be the best place to start.
                          Surnames: Adams, Andersen, Andrews, Bailey, Benjamin, Chapman,
                          Combrinck, Daniels, Davids, Davis, Fisher, Harris, Hector, Isaacs,
                          Knipe, Martin, Meyer, Peters, Petersen, Reed, Richards, Robinson,
                          Smith, Thomas, Ward, Watson, Williams tec..etc..were common.
                          Prior to the 1948 Race Classification laws the Saints were proud
                          to be British subjects and tried to keep their 'British identity'.
                          The next generation dissolved into the South African society and so
                          did the history of 2000 Saints.What a pity!!!
                          Unfortunately many old cemetaries are abused and neglected so
                          hardly no info can be fetched there.
                          I am sure many of you will be able to add more info to our
                          subject.
                          Keep well
                          June Nielsen-Ferreira
                          Denmark

                          > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers
                          > <bmsegers@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in 1914.
                          > >
                          > > Cheers
                          > > Beryl
                          > >
                          > > Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > ja3nf <nilfer@> wrote: June,
                          > > Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St
                          Helenian
                          > family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
                          > family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and
                          Newlands
                          > areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few St
                          > Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know
                          how
                          > they ended up here.
                          > > I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I knew
                          > that this was where my great grandparents were married and where
                          > their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's
                          sister
                          > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at
                          these
                          > events were either related and/or were originally from St Helena
                          > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
                          church
                          > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the records.
                          > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be of
                          > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and Yon.
                          > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened to
                          pick
                          > up on by looking at my family's records.
                          > > Regards
                          > > Labieqah
                          > >

                          > > Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in
                          > Harfield
                          > > Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there.
                          > Unfortunately
                          > > the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
                          > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                          > contact
                          > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's uncle's
                          > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                          > could
                          > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                          > > June
                          > > >
                          > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                          > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many times
                          > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a dead
                          > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                          > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                          > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                          > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.
                          > June

                        • cryswil27
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                            how did they arrive in cape town - via the RMS ST Helena? is there
                            passenger lists that we can check? and is there no "immigration
                            list"?
                            NB: I've also noted that "ADA" was a common name on St Helena Island

                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                            > > contact
                            > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
                            uncle's
                            > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                            > > could
                            > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                            > > > June
                            > > > >
                            > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                            > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                            times
                            > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                            dead
                            > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                            > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                            > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                            > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                          • Leonard Meek
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 15, 2007
                              I was in contact with someone in SA several years ago regarding the Maggott family. That was before I found out that the Maggotts and Magnetts were apparently the same. I have since lost the name and address. Also, I read somewhere that several Maggott's lived in Deerhurst, England and that the name morphed into "Macket and Margate." As far as the Magnetts are concerned, one Charles Magnett settled in Hawaii and one Benjamin Magnett settled in Massachusetts.
                            • Labieqah Camroodien
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 15, 2007
                                Leonard,

                                The reason I mentioned Maggott is because I'm sure I've seen correspondence on this forum in the past about certain Maggotts. Have you seen these?

                                There is nothing to indicate that the Maggotts are related to my family but I have a Henrietta Agnes Maggott who was a witness at my great aunt's baptism. Also in the church's records, on the off chance that this might mean anything to you, I saw the following marriage entries, both on 24/4/1916:

                                Christopher Michael Kemp married Jessie Maud Elizabeth Maggott (David Maggott was a witness)

                                Fredie Mathew Bam married Mary Selina Maggott (Hettie Maggott was a witness)

                                All were listed as residing in Claremont.

                                Regards
                                Labieqah

                                London, UK

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 15, 2007
                                  -Unfortunately I have not succeed in getting the shipping and
                                  passengerlists information. I doubt if it still exist. I approached
                                  Dr A. Schulenberg about the names of companies which offered the
                                  Saints occupations during 1871 - 1873 but he too could not help. My
                                  g.grandfather and some of his family members (Thomas males) worked
                                  for the railways.
                                  I wonder why the school history books never mentioned that 2000 St
                                  Helenians immigrated to SA.
                                  June

                                  <cryswil27@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  Yon.
                                  > > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened
                                  > > pick
                                  > > > up on by looking at my family's records.

                                  > > > Harfield
                                  > > > Unfortunately
                                  > > > contact
                                  > uncle's
                                  > > > could

                                  > > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                                  > times
                                  > > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                                  > dead
                                  > > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle
                                  and
                                  > > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we
                                  will
                                  > > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                                  > > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                                • Leonard Meek
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 16, 2007
                                    Labieqah,

                                    Thanks for the info. I don't think I can relate to any of the names mentioned but maybe my cousin can. Her family maintained contact with the island well into the 1900's. My gg grandfather arrived here in Hawaii prior to 1845 and took out out citizenship. He died in 1859. His wife died in 1848 and his only child, my great grandmother, was sent to school in Pennsylvania. After that all contact with the island was lost.

                                    Leonard
                                    Hawaii
                                  • ja3nf
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 20, 2007
                                      To all of you interested in the article by P.A. Erasmus:'St.
                                      Helenas' aan die Kaap: migrasie, uitbuiting en assimilasie. If you
                                      wish to read it (in Afrikaans) you can send me a mail and I will
                                      forward it to you.
                                      June

                                      wrote:

> [...]
                                      > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                                      > > contact
                                      > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's
                                      uncle's
                                      > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                                      > > could
                                      > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                                      > > > June
                                      > > > >
                                      > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                                      > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                                      times
                                      > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                                      dead
                                      > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                                      > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                                      > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                                      > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                                    • Crystal Williams
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 21, 2007
                                        i would like to read it - thanx!

                                        wrote:

> [...]
                                        > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                                        > > contact
                                        > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                                        uncle's
                                        > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                                        > > could
                                        > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                                        > > > June
                                        > > > >
                                        > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                                        > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                                        times
                                        > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                                        dead
                                        > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                                        > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                                        > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                                        > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                                        TV dinner still cooling?

                                      • Labieqah Camroodien
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007
                                          Hi June,

                                          I would like to get a copy of the article. Thanks so much for offering to pass it on. My email address is labieqah@...

                                          Thanks also for the info below that you sent out last week. The comment about the St Helenians hanging on to their British identity certainly ties in with what my grandmother used to say about her St Helenian parents.

                                          wrote:

> [...]
                                          > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                                          > > contact
                                          > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                                          uncle's
                                          > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                                          > > could
                                          > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                                          > > > June
                                          > > > >
                                          > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                                          > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                                          times
                                          > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                                          dead
                                          > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                                          > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                                          > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                                          > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                                        • Labieqah Camroodien
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 23, 2007

                                            wrote:

> [...]
                                            > > > recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in
                                            > > contact
                                            > > > (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather' s
                                            uncle's
                                            > > > offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and
                                            > > could
                                            > > > see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
                                            > > > June
                                            > > > >
                                            > > >Hi Labieqah & Beryl
                                            > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
                                            times
                                            > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
                                            dead
                                            > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle and
                                            > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we will
                                            > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
                                            > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.

                                          • chrisioy
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
                                              I know this article is very old by now, but if you can send me a copy I would appreciate it

                                              Chris Everett