My Great Grandparents Paul and Marie Zirkel

  • teacup1228
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2004
      My great grandparents lived on the island of St Helena around 1900 to
      1902 during the time the Boer prisoners were there. My ggrandfather
      worked as a blacksmith for the Bristish Army on the island of St
      Helena. They befriended Boer Prisoners because a lot of them spoke
      German their native language. My ggrandfather landed in Johannesburg
      on a ship that had left Australia. He was working on the ship and the
      captain was very mean. So when they stopped in Johannesburg to
      unload he got off by having a Zulu man carry him off at night in a
      meat carcass bag. He paid him with tobacco. He originally wanted to
      fight with the Boers but a Bristish officer told him he was in the
      wrong part of the country to think in that way. Thats when he was
      hired as a blacksmith and sent to St Helena. He sent for my
      ggrandmother then and also their son my grandfather William Paul
      Zirkel. He had a special order from the govenor of St Helena to have
      them escorted their on a ship from Germany out of England. My
      grandfather use to play with the big sea turtles and he said they
      were his playmates. He said he lived at the top of Jacob's Ladder. I
      have pic's of them while they are there. Priceless pictures in great
      condition. I would love to visit the island someday. My grandfather
      wrote alot of information about their life then. Anyways hope you
      enjoy the story.
      Shirley