Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Julia Eccles (Nee Smith) - Capelolony, St Helena, SA - Daughter Matilda Eccles

  • Kevin Purvis
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5 2:25 PM
      Hi Jim, The place is almost certainly Cape Colony. It refers to the areas around Cape Town where early settlers lived. You can find more accurate details of the regions boundaries on the net. Sorry I cannot help more. Off to work at -23C.
      Kevin. Mongolia.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6 6:58 AM
        Hi..

        Yes, I am sure you are right about that - I must admit I came to that
        conclusion myself after I'd posted the message last night. I looked
        at the 1901 census form which I have a copy of and sure enough it is
        actually there - very faintly as the scan of the original transcript
        was a bit dodgey, but it is definately there.

        Thanks for that Kevin, another step closer I guess :) Another thing I
        found out last night whilst I was digging for info was that St Helena
        would have had a large military presence at the time Julia was living
        and I'm now wondering if g.grandad was a soldier?? Maybe there are
        military records I can search...

        Cheers
        Jim
        UK

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Purvis

        > Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        > http://games.yahoo.com/games/front

      • cryswil27
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7 6:57 AM
          how / where can i get hold of this 1901 census?--- In st-helena-

          _