Julia Eccles (Nee Smith) - Capelolony, St Helena, SA - Daughter Matilda Eccles

  • jimeccles
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007
      Hello there...

      This is my first post.

      I am trying to find information about my great grandmother - Julia
      Eccles (nee Smith), born in St Helena, SA around 1875. The place name
      'Capelolony' has been provided but I have not been able to track a
      location with this name - perhaps another name for 'colony' or even a
      spelling mistake?? Or 'Cape' something?

      I understand she married my great grandfather in SA, who I believe was
      called Thomas Eccles (according to other documentary evidence) although
      family recollections are that he was called John Henry Eccles (from the
      UK). Julia had a daughter whilst living in SA who was called Matilda E
      Eccles, so presumably Thomas (John) lived there or visited regularly for
      a time. I have also found evidence that Julia had a sister called Sarah
      Smith, also from SA. I would love to know if Julia had any more

      They later moved to East Yorkshire in the UK where Julia bore another 5
      children (Florence, Sarah J, Edith Maud, James Henry and Thomas Edward).
      I have a UK census form from 1901 which details Julia (age 26) and 4 of
      the 6 children, but the father and the 2 youngest are not listed -
      possibly suggesting working away from home?

      I have no information as to why my great grandfather was in SA - perhaps
      a merchant seaman? This would also be of great interest, also some
      confirmation of his actual christian name. Anything which may provide
      another clue to both Thomas (or John) and Julia's ancestors.

      Any help would be much appreciated,

      Thanks

      Jim Eccles
    • Die Honnehok
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007

        The South African archives have a searchable database at :

        http://www.national.archives.gov.za/

        I did a quick search on Eccles and found about 155 references.

        J Regards from Namaqualand ,

        Elize Hough

        ( 027 692 3041

        Ê 088 027 692 3041

        8 www.hondeklip.co.za

           www.hondeklipbay.co.za

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2007
          Thanks Elize,

          there is some very useful info on that site - I am at work at the mo
          so have only had a quick look but will examine more closely this
          evening.

          Great lead - thankyou very much :)

          Jim

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Die Honnehok" <dog@...>
          wrote:

          > The South African archives have a searchable database at :
          >
          > http://www.national.archives.gov.za/
          >
          > I did a quick search on Eccles and found about 155 references.
          > J Regards from Namaqualand,
          > Elize Hough
          > ( 027 692 3041
          > Ê 088 027 692 3041