Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Where are BMDs between 1835 and 1852?

  • Isebelle Krauss
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007
      Did you look on the Family History Catalogue (www.familysearch.org  under Library Catalogue) for St. Helena?
      Click on the required Info, and see where the records are kept/ were filmed.
      It might be in the Cape Archives project.
      I know there are some in Ct., but cannot say for sure what dates.
      Isebelle

      Isebelle E Krauss *Lloyd.
      011 954 6666
      082 851 5648

      Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing.
    • rj.hayden
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007
        Christine:

        Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my query, especially as
        you supplied such detailed information. Yes, I just about followed
        the sequence of events! So the LDS only filmed the EIC London copies
        and not the original records now held at Witwatersrand. I assume that
        the British Library resources also have a 'copied' record for the gap
        years? Either way, at least I know now where I should be looking. I
        can only go on the information I have at present, which is that
        Isabella Mealey (Mealy) was born c1838 in 'St Helena, Africa', which
        is what the census returns for England 1871, 1881 and 1901 state.
        Since there is no record of a marriage in England, I had assumed that
        she married in St Helena as her husband, a soldier called Charles
        Heaven, was based at Chatham Barracks, where the first known child,
        Eliza Mary Heaven was born in 1857. As I said in my previous message,
        I've now used the LDS to check the St Helena parish register film
        from 1852 until 1860, and there's no sign of a relevant marriage.
        I'll contact Witwatersrand and look at the British Library holdings
        to see if I can get any further.

        Thanks again

        Richard