Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Where are BMDs between 1835 and 1852?

  • Isebelle Krauss
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007
      Did you look on the Family History Catalogue (www.familysearch.org  under Library Catalogue) for St. Helena?
      Click on the required Info, and see where the records are kept/ were filmed.
      It might be in the Cape Archives project.
      I know there are some in Ct., but cannot say for sure what dates.
      Isebelle

      Isebelle E Krauss *Lloyd.
      011 954 6666
      082 851 5648

      Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing.
    • Christine Adams
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007

        Films of the Marriage, Birth and Burial Registers of the Anglican Church, St. James Parish, St. Helena for the "gap" years are held at the following repository. They hold records for the LDS filmed years as well.

        Historical Papers, William Cullen Library, Archives of the Church of the Province of South Africa, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, S.A.

        According to a researcher who spent many hours reviewing the records in Witwatersrand, the parish records filmed by LDS for the East India Company years were the copies made under the aegis of the EIC, and sent back to London. The original records of those "copies" [are you still with me?] are at the British Library.

        It is possible to find variations between the LDS filmed records, and the original parish records. It's not something I would want to undertake on a broad scale, but if I had uncovered data about a person of interest from the EIC years, and the LDS film data either omits someone you KNOW should have been there, or the data doesn't agree with another source, I might contact the office in Witwatersrand, and request a transcription of their record. I'm quite sure there is a charge, but I've never used them, and can't say what it is, or how long a response might take.

        Christine

        Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more.
      • rj.hayden
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007
          Christine:

          Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my query, especially as
          you supplied such detailed information. Yes, I just about followed
          the sequence of events! So the LDS only filmed the EIC London copies
          and not the original records now held at Witwatersrand. I assume that
          the British Library resources also have a 'copied' record for the gap
          years? Either way, at least I know now where I should be looking. I
          can only go on the information I have at present, which is that
          Isabella Mealey (Mealy) was born c1838 in 'St Helena, Africa', which
          is what the census returns for England 1871, 1881 and 1901 state.
          Since there is no record of a marriage in England, I had assumed that
          she married in St Helena as her husband, a soldier called Charles
          Heaven, was based at Chatham Barracks, where the first known child,
          Eliza Mary Heaven was born in 1857. As I said in my previous message,
          I've now used the LDS to check the St Helena parish register film
          from 1852 until 1860, and there's no sign of a relevant marriage.
          I'll contact Witwatersrand and look at the British Library holdings
          to see if I can get any further.

          Thanks again

          Richard