Where are BMDs between 1835 and 1852?

  • rj.hayden
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007
      I've viewed the films of the St. Helena church records: Baptisms,
      Marriages and Burial, 1767-1835 as well as the Civil Registrations
      between 1852-1936 but where are the records for between 1835 and 1852
      kept? The LDS don't seem to have them. I'm looking for both a baptism
      and a marriage that falls into the missing years. I know some events
      for St Helena in 1851 were recorded in Cape Town but what about the
      other years?

      Thanks

      Rich
    • Isebelle Krauss
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007
        Did you look on the Family History Catalogue (www.familysearch.org  under Library Catalogue) for St. Helena?
        Click on the required Info, and see where the records are kept/ were filmed.
        It might be in the Cape Archives project.
        I know there are some in Ct., but cannot say for sure what dates.
        Isebelle

        Isebelle E Krauss *Lloyd.
        011 954 6666
        082 851 5648

        Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing.
      • Christine Adams
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007

          Films of the Marriage, Birth and Burial Registers of the Anglican Church, St. James Parish, St. Helena for the "gap" years are held at the following repository. They hold records for the LDS filmed years as well.

          Historical Papers, William Cullen Library, Archives of the Church of the Province of South Africa, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, S.A.

          According to a researcher who spent many hours reviewing the records in Witwatersrand, the parish records filmed by LDS for the East India Company years were the copies made under the aegis of the EIC, and sent back to London. The original records of those "copies" [are you still with me?] are at the British Library.

          It is possible to find variations between the LDS filmed records, and the original parish records. It's not something I would want to undertake on a broad scale, but if I had uncovered data about a person of interest from the EIC years, and the LDS film data either omits someone you KNOW should have been there, or the data doesn't agree with another source, I might contact the office in Witwatersrand, and request a transcription of their record. I'm quite sure there is a charge, but I've never used them, and can't say what it is, or how long a response might take.

          Christine

          Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more.
        • rj.hayden
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2007
            Christine:

            Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my query, especially as
            you supplied such detailed information. Yes, I just about followed
            the sequence of events! So the LDS only filmed the EIC London copies
            and not the original records now held at Witwatersrand. I assume that
            the British Library resources also have a 'copied' record for the gap
            years? Either way, at least I know now where I should be looking. I
            can only go on the information I have at present, which is that
            Isabella Mealey (Mealy) was born c1838 in 'St Helena, Africa', which
            is what the census returns for England 1871, 1881 and 1901 state.
            Since there is no record of a marriage in England, I had assumed that
            she married in St Helena as her husband, a soldier called Charles
            Heaven, was based at Chatham Barracks, where the first known child,
            Eliza Mary Heaven was born in 1857. As I said in my previous message,
            I've now used the LDS to check the St Helena parish register film
            from 1852 until 1860, and there's no sign of a relevant marriage.
            I'll contact Witwatersrand and look at the British Library holdings
            to see if I can get any further.

            Thanks again

            Richard