Re: HOLDER FAMILY ON ST HELENA

  • gnorris51
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bojaniwska" <helenk_99@...> wrote:

      > I am trying to establish the truth of a family legend relating to a
      > couple called HOLDER from Uley, Gloucestershire, England. The story
      > goes that while Mr Holder was stationed on the island with the British
      > troops keeping watch over Napoleon, his wife became the Emporer's cook.
      >
      > The story is reported in The Story of Uley, M Lloyd-Baker, and cited in
      > A History of Uley Gloucestershire, Alan Bebbington, but neither works
      > provide a source.
      >
      > I have found in the English census a George Holder, born on St Helena
      > in 1817, presumably their child.
      >
      > If anyone is able to shed any light on the tale I would be very
      > grateful. My maternal grandfather was a Holder from Uley and I am keen
      > to see if these people are related.
      >
      > Helen Bojaniwska

      Don't know the Holder Family but my great grand mother was Rachel Uley who lived on the
      island in the 1850's forward. Perhaps her parents have a connections. I have no
      information on the Uley line of the family.

      Regards
      Genie Murphy
    • bojaniwska
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2007
        Since my original post I have now found a Harriot Holder christened
        on 18 Oct 1818 on St Helena. Parents: Richard Holder and Rebecca.

        I know of a Reuben Holder (1791 - 1864) from Uley who was married to
        Rebecca born abt 1784 Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales who in the 1851
        census describes herself as a cook. This might be them assuming
        Harriot's father's name was recorded incorrectly.

        Harriot turns up in Liverpool in the 1841 census, but I have not been
        able to find her anywhere else.

        If anyone can shed any more light on this I would love to hear from
        you.

        Thanks
        Helen Bojaniwska