Re: HOLDER FAMILY ON ST HELENA

  • gnorris51
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bojaniwska" <helenk_99@...> wrote:

      > I am trying to establish the truth of a family legend relating to a
      > couple called HOLDER from Uley, Gloucestershire, England. The story
      > goes that while Mr Holder was stationed on the island with the British
      > troops keeping watch over Napoleon, his wife became the Emporer's cook.
      >
      > The story is reported in The Story of Uley, M Lloyd-Baker, and cited in
      > A History of Uley Gloucestershire, Alan Bebbington, but neither works
      > provide a source.
      >
      > I have found in the English census a George Holder, born on St Helena
      > in 1817, presumably their child.
      >
      > If anyone is able to shed any light on the tale I would be very
      > grateful. My maternal grandfather was a Holder from Uley and I am keen
      > to see if these people are related.
      >
      > Helen Bojaniwska

      Don't know the Holder Family but my great grand mother was Rachel Uley who lived on the
      island in the 1850's forward. Perhaps her parents have a connections. I have no
      information on the Uley line of the family. My family names are Uley to Corker to Carter.

      Regards
      Genie Murphy
    • gnorris51
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bojaniwska" <helenk_99@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to establish the truth of a family legend relating to a
        > couple called HOLDER from Uley, Gloucestershire, England. The story
        > goes that while Mr Holder was stationed on the island with the British
        > troops keeping watch over Napoleon, his wife became the Emporer's cook.
        >
        > The story is reported in The Story of Uley, M Lloyd-Baker, and cited in
        > A History of Uley Gloucestershire, Alan Bebbington, but neither works
        > provide a source.
        >
        > I have found in the English census a George Holder, born on St Helena
        > in 1817, presumably their child.
        >
        > If anyone is able to shed any light on the tale I would be very
        > grateful. My maternal grandfather was a Holder from Uley and I am keen
        > to see if these people are related.
        >
        > Helen Bojaniwska

        Don't know the Holder Family but my great grand mother was Rachel Uley who lived on the
        island in the 1850's forward. Perhaps her parents have a connections. I have no
        information on the Uley line of the family.

        Regards
        Genie Murphy
      • bojaniwska
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2007
          Since my original post I have now found a Harriot Holder christened
          on 18 Oct 1818 on St Helena. Parents: Richard Holder and Rebecca.

          I know of a Reuben Holder (1791 - 1864) from Uley who was married to
          Rebecca born abt 1784 Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales who in the 1851
          census describes herself as a cook. This might be them assuming
          Harriot's father's name was recorded incorrectly.

          Harriot turns up in Liverpool in the 1841 census, but I have not been
          able to find her anywhere else.

          If anyone can shed any more light on this I would love to hear from
          you.

          Thanks
          Helen Bojaniwska