HOLDER FAMILY ON ST HELENA

  • bojaniwska
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
      I am trying to establish the truth of a family legend relating to a
      couple called HOLDER from Uley, Gloucestershire, England. The story
      goes that while Mr Holder was stationed on the island with the British
      troops keeping watch over Napoleon, his wife became the Emporer's cook.

      The story is reported in The Story of Uley, M Lloyd-Baker, and cited in
      A History of Uley Gloucestershire, Alan Bebbington, but neither works
      provide a source.

      I have found in the English census a George Holder, born on St Helena
      in 1817, presumably their child.

      If anyone is able to shed any light on the tale I would be very
      grateful. My maternal grandfather was a Holder from Uley and I am keen
      to see if these people are related.

      Helen Bojaniwska
    • gnorris51
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bojaniwska" <helenk_99@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to establish the truth of a family legend relating to a
        > couple called HOLDER from Uley, Gloucestershire, England. The story
        > goes that while Mr Holder was stationed on the island with the British
        > troops keeping watch over Napoleon, his wife became the Emporer's cook.
        >
        > The story is reported in The Story of Uley, M Lloyd-Baker, and cited in
        > A History of Uley Gloucestershire, Alan Bebbington, but neither works
        > provide a source.
        >
        > I have found in the English census a George Holder, born on St Helena
        > in 1817, presumably their child.
        >
        > If anyone is able to shed any light on the tale I would be very
        > grateful. My maternal grandfather was a Holder from Uley and I am keen
        > to see if these people are related.
        >
        > Helen Bojaniwska

        Don't know the Holder Family but my great grand mother was Rachel Uley who lived on the
        island in the 1850's forward. Perhaps her parents have a connections. I have no
        information on the Uley line of the family. My family names are Uley to Corker to Carter.

        Regards
        Genie Murphy
      • gnorris51
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19, 2007
            Since my original post I have now found a Harriot Holder christened
            on 18 Oct 1818 on St Helena. Parents: Richard Holder and Rebecca.

            I know of a Reuben Holder (1791 - 1864) from Uley who was married to
            Rebecca born abt 1784 Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales who in the 1851
            census describes herself as a cook. This might be them assuming
            Harriot's father's name was recorded incorrectly.

            Harriot turns up in Liverpool in the 1841 census, but I have not been
            able to find her anywhere else.

            If anyone can shed any more light on this I would love to hear from
            you.

            Thanks
            Helen Bojaniwska