Re: Blackford family on St. Helena

  • jamesteebee
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2006
      Hello Barbara,

      Just a short message regarding the name Blackford: on a website
      about army regiments by Brendan Stebbings you can find a reference
      to one William Blackford, from London, who served in the St Helena
      Regiment and received his discharge at the age of 47 in 1836. Might
      he be the father of your John Blackford?

      Regards

      James

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bjlow115"
      <barbaralowrance@...> wrote:

      > My 3rd great grandparents were married on St. Helena on 23 May
      1844.
      > They are John Henry Powell George Blackford ( b. abt 1819, maybe
      born
      > in England) and Emma Jane Moss ( b. 19 May 1829, St Helena.)I know
      they
      > had 6 children, all born on St. Helena. I do have names and birth
      and
      > baptism dates for the children. I am interested in Emma's family
      at
      > this time. It is possible that Emma had two brother's,Charles
      Phillip
      > Moss, b. 22 Nov. 1830 and baptised on the same day as Emma. The
      other
      > brother could be Joseph Moss b. 11 Nov 1834. Does anyone out there
      know
      > where to get more family records for Emma? I would love to track
      down
      > her parents.I am also very interested to find out why John
      Blackford
      > was in St. Helena. They arrived in Boston, MA. on 4 Aug. 1854 on
      the
      > ship Euphrasia. Then this family vanishes until the 1860 Illinois
      > census that shows Emma listed as a widow with the children.Can
      anyone
      > help?

    • am_sydney
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2007
        Am trying to confirm whether all of the following are from the same
        Moss family:

        Frederick Joseph Moss - Born Longwood in 1827 and emigrated to NZ
        (Mother was Sarah, née Britton)
        Emma Jane Moss b. 19 May 1829
        Charles Phillip Moss, b. 22 Nov. 1830 (brother of Emma Jane)
        Joseph Moss b. 11 Nov 1834 (could be brother of Emma Jane)
        George W Moss born 1838 and emigrated to NZ

        Could anyone help please?

        Cheers,

        Andrew