Moss and Blackford family on St. Helena

  • bjlow115
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2006
      My 3rd great grandparents were married on St. Helena on 23 May 1844.
      They are John Henry Powell George Blackford ( b. abt 1819, maybe born
      in England) and Emma Jane Moss ( b. 19 May 1829, St Helena.)I know they
      had 6 children, all born on St. Helena. I do have names and birth and
      baptism dates for the children. I am interested in Emma's family at
      this time. It is possible that Emma had two brother's,Charles Phillip
      Moss, b. 22 Nov. 1830 and baptised on the same day as Emma. The other
      brother could be Joseph Moss b. 11 Nov 1834. Does anyone out there know
      where to get more family records for Emma? I would love to track down
      her parents.I am also very interested to find out why John Blackford
      was in St. Helena. They arrived in Boston, MA. on 4 Aug. 1854 on the
      ship Euphrasia. Then this family vanishes until the 1860 Illinois
      census that shows Emma listed as a widow with the children.Can anyone
      help?
    • jamesteebee
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 16, 2006
        Hello Barbara,

        Just a short message regarding the name Blackford: on a website
        about army regiments by Brendan Stebbings you can find a reference
        to one William Blackford, from London, who served in the St Helena
        Regiment and received his discharge at the age of 47 in 1836. Might
        he be the father of your John Blackford?

        Regards

        James

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bjlow115"
        <barbaralowrance@...> wrote:

        > My 3rd great grandparents were married on St. Helena on 23 May
        1844.
        > They are John Henry Powell George Blackford ( b. abt 1819, maybe
        born
        > in England) and Emma Jane Moss ( b. 19 May 1829, St Helena.)I know
        they
        > had 6 children, all born on St. Helena. I do have names and birth
        and
        > baptism dates for the children. I am interested in Emma's family
        at
        > this time. It is possible that Emma had two brother's,Charles
        Phillip
        > Moss, b. 22 Nov. 1830 and baptised on the same day as Emma. The
        other
        > brother could be Joseph Moss b. 11 Nov 1834. Does anyone out there
        know
        > where to get more family records for Emma? I would love to track
        down
        > her parents.I am also very interested to find out why John
        Blackford
        > was in St. Helena. They arrived in Boston, MA. on 4 Aug. 1854 on
        the
        > ship Euphrasia. Then this family vanishes until the 1860 Illinois
        > census that shows Emma listed as a widow with the children.Can
        anyone
        > help?

      • am_sydney
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2007
          Am trying to confirm whether all of the following are from the same
          Moss family:

          Frederick Joseph Moss - Born Longwood in 1827 and emigrated to NZ
          (Mother was Sarah, née Britton)
          Emma Jane Moss b. 19 May 1829
          Charles Phillip Moss, b. 22 Nov. 1830 (brother of Emma Jane)
          Joseph Moss b. 11 Nov 1834 (could be brother of Emma Jane)
          George W Moss born 1838 and emigrated to NZ

          Could anyone help please?

          Cheers,

          Andrew