Missing family

  • vbridgens
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2006
      Hi ,
      This is my first post on here and i am hoping someone can help me.
      My GGrandmother Alice Maud Brown was born on St Helena c1867, her
      mother Elizabeth Walsh was born in the East Indies (dont know where)
      c1840, Alice,s father Robert Brown was born Belfast Ireland c1824.
      Elizabeth and Robert married in India in 1856 when Robert was serving
      in the 104th foot.
      On his discharge he gave his intended place of residence as Belfast
      then changed his mind and said India but he must have changed his
      mind again for my GGrandmother to be born on St Helena. What i am
      trying to find out is;
      Why they went to the island,
      Did they stay or rather came back
      What he would have done for employment,
      When they left
      I cannot find any trace of them before 1871 when they were back in
      the UK and after that either , and the Archives on St Helena cannot
      find Alice's birth records.
      I hope this makes sense, This is my brick wall and i hope someone can
      come up with suggestions on where i can look next.
      Thanks in advance,
      Vanda
      PS there was another chid born on St Helena, Walter Brown c1864
    • Beryl Segers
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2006
        Hi Everyone

        I am trying to trace my father's background. I believe he was born Benjamin Bennett and was later adopted by the Crosher family. He moved from St Helena when he was a young boy. In Cape Town he lived with the Baileys. We know very little about his background. He had no living immediate family as far as we know. He named by my brothers George, Andrew and Owen after some of his family members.

        Can anyone please advise me where to start looking for information. He was born on 15 July 1914 and died in Cape Town in 174 at the age of 60.

        I live in Sydney, Australia.

        Kind Regards
        Beryl Segers