Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: photographs

  • Sthelena Postcards
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2006
      The Hangings took place from early times when Slaves were hanged for trying to escape, and the tree was suppose to be the place of the hangings. The first around 1694.
      tales are passed down and how many and where others were hanged
      The Fountain in the centre of the road was erected in memory of those killed in the rock falls of 1890 when eight  people were killed . I believe it went for  scrap metal in the 1940's.Does anyone know what really  happened to it?
      Clifford
    • amclenn1
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
        Thanks for the info and also pictures - still looking for more if
        anyone has any.

        Adele

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Sthelena Postcards"