Hillman family

  • kennedyjacquelyn
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2006
      I am researching my husband's family - his great grandmother was Eliza
      Maria Hillman, born 5 February 1873 on St. Helena. Parents of Eliza
      were Henry and Jane Hillman. We were able to obtain this information
      from the Archivist in St. Helena, who sent us Birth/Marriage/Death
      records from the 1800's she found concerning the Hillman surname on
      the Island.

      Eliza married John William Anderson (Scottish) in Capetown, South
      Africa in 1885. Together they had 7 children; Eliza died one day
      after giving birth to her 7th child in 1910.

      At the time, the Archivist was unable to tell us whether the Hillmans
      on the island were White (European) or slaves (or a combination of
      both?). Also, does anyone know if there are any records that document
      persons leaving St. Helena to South Africa around that time period?

      I'm a novice researcher, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Jackie
    • kennedyjacquelyn
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2010
        I am researching the Hillman family on St. Helena and it has been a while since I've been on this group site.

        A couple of years ago, we received births and marriages for Hillmans from Archives staff and found this notation about our ancestors:

        Henry Hillman (full/ a laborer), lived at The Briars, married Jane Elizabeth Connelly (full), also of The Briars, on 26 December 1856 at St. Paul's Church, St. Helena.'

        They had a daughter, Eliza, born 05 February 1873. Eliza married John William Anderson in Cape Town, South Africa when she was only 13 years old.

        I've seen quite a few recent posts about the slave families on the island. Is there a way to determine if our Hillman family were slaves?

        Also, does anyone know if there are any known ship transcriptions (of those who migrated to South Africa)?