Re:Honeybun family (update)

  • Alastair HONEYBUN
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 22, 2006
      Hi James (and forum readers),

      To clarify some of he queries. - I have no record (yet!) of a first
      marriage for Ezekiel, therefore one MAY assume the first borns were out
      of wedlock.

      Here is a expanded description of the St Helen Honeybun's.

      ================

      1. Ezekiel Valance Honeybun Snr was born in 1772. Another name for
      Ezekiel was
      Ezekial Honeybun.

      Noted events in his life were:

      * Departure: aboard the Princess Royal, 5 Apr 1793, Portsmouth,
      Hampshire, England. (1) Capt James Horncastle. Portsmouth 5 Apr
      1793 -
      11 Jul St Helena
      * Arrival: aboard the Princess Royal, 11 Jul 1793, St Helena
      Island. (1)
      Capt James Horncastle. Portsmouth 5 Apr 1793 - 11 Jul St Helena
      * He served in the military Entered the Service of the St Helena
      Regiment, as a Private Soldier in 1793.
      * He served in the military promoted to Sgt-Major in the St Helena

      Regiment in 1807. Sgt-major in the St Helena Regiment

      Ezekiel married Elizabeth Mittens, daughter of Joseph Mittens and
      Sophia
      Yates, on 18 Oct 1818 in St Helena Island. Elizabeth was born
      about 1794.
      Another name for Elizabeth was Mittons.

      Marriage Notes: St James' Church

      Children from this marriage were:
      2 M i. James Honeybun was born on 20 Jun 1811 in St Helena Island,
      was
      christened on 27 Sep 1811 in St Helena Island, and
      died in
      1856 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA (2) at
      age 45.
      3 M ii. Ezekiel Honeybun was born on 22 Jul 1813 in St Helena Island
      and
      was christened on 27 Feb 1814 in St Helena Island.
      4 M iii. George Honeybun was born on 21 Apr 1816 in St Helena Island,
      was
      christened on 20 Jun 1816 in St Helena Island, and
      died on 4
      Mar 1859 in Cullens Building, Buitenkant Street, Cape
      Town,
      South Africa at age 42.
      M iv. Thomas Valance Mittons Honeybun was born on 7 Sep 1818 in
      St
      Helena Island, was christened on 22 Oct 1818 in St
      Helena
      Island, and died in 1820 in St Helena Island at age
      2.
      General Notes: Baptised after his parents' marriage and recorded as the
      son of
      Ezekiel and Elizabeth Honeybun

      Noted events in his life were:

      M v. John Honeybun was born on 25 Feb 1823 in St Helena Island
      and was
      christened on 5 Apr 1823 in St Helena Island. Another
      name
      for John was John Honeybon.
      F vi. Margaret Honeybun was born in 1826 in St Helena Island.
      Another
      name for Margaret was Honeybon.
      F vii. Mary Elizabeth Honeybun was born in 1828 in St Helena
      Island.

      Second Generation (Children)

      2. James Honeybun was born on 20 Jun 1811 in St Helena Island, was
      christened
      on 27 Sep 1811 in St Helena Island, and died in 1856 in Boston,
      Suffolk,
      Massachusetts, USA (2) at age 45. The cause of his death was
      Consumption.(2)

      Noted events in his life were:

      * He worked as an Accountant in 1856 in Boston, Suffolk,
      Massachusetts,
      USA. (2)

      James married Rachel, daughter of James and Catharine. Rachel was born
      about
      1813 in , , Pennsylvania, USA (3) and died on 13 Dec 1856 in
      Boston,
      Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA (3) about age 43. The cause of her
      death was
      Consumption.(3)

      The child from this marriage was:
      M i. Ezekiel Honeybun(4) was born on 16 Apr 1852 in Boston,
      Suffolk,
      Massachusetts, USA.(4)

      3. Ezekiel Honeybun was born on 22 Jul 1813 in St Helena Island and was

      christened on 27 Feb 1814 in St Helena Island.

      Ezekiel married Margaret Williams.

      The child from this marriage was:
      F i. Honeybun was born on 7 Aug 1863 in St Helena Island.
      General Notes: St Helena birth register for 7 August 1863 - No. 1102 -
      no name
      - female - Ezekiel Honeybun (Labourer)/Margaret Williams. (Informant
      Sarah
      Jonas - signed by mark - on 15 September).
      Note: Many babies had no names - births appeared to be notified by the
      midwife
      who would register births en masse sometimes months after the actual
      births.

      4. George Honeybun was born on 21 Apr 1816 in St Helena Island, was
      christened
      on 20 Jun 1816 in St Helena Island, and died on 4 Mar 1859 in
      Cullens
      Building, Buitenkant Street, Cape Town, South Africa at age 42.

      General Notes: Left
      Cash sufficient to bury him

      Source: Death Notice no. 5869, filed 12 March 1839. Signed by Ann
      Honeybun.

      George married Anne Webster, daughter of John Webster and Alice
      Burden, on 22
      Feb 1847 in St Georges Church, Cape Town, South Africa. Anne was
      christened on 22 Aug 1819 in Old Ch St, Pancreas, London, England,
      died
      on 28 Nov 1901 in Cape Town, Cape, South Africa at age 82, and was
      buried
      in Cape Town, Cape, South Africa.(5)

      Noted events in her life were:

      * She resided at Kinnerton Street in 1831 in London, Middlesex,
      England.

      Children from this marriage were:
      F i. Alice Honeybun was born on 4 Jan 1849.
      M ii. Ezekiel Valance Honeybun Jnr was born on 30 Mar 1851 in
      Cape Town,
      Cape, South Africa, was christened on 26 Sep 1851 in
      Cathedral Church, Cape Town, Cape, South Africa, died
      on 26
      Jul 1937 in Cape Town, Cape, South Africa at age 86,
      and was
      buried in St. Peter's Cemetery, Observatory, Cape
      Town,
      South Africa. Other names for Ezekiel were Ezekiel
      Valence
      Honeybun, and Ezekiel Vallance Honeybun.
      Christening Notes:Honeybun, Ezekiel Valence
      Surname: Honeybun
      First Names: Ezekiel Valence
      Gender: M
      Parents: George
      Baptised Date: 26 September 1851
      Minister: Rev WA Newman
      Location: Cathedral Church, Cape Town
      Notes: Fathers title and occupation: Mr
      Source: Cape Government Gazette of 2 October 1851
      Transcriber: 2117
      Burial Notes: Honeybun, Ezekiel Vallance
      Surname: Honeybun
      First Names: Ezekiel Vallance
      ID: 1699
      Date Of Death: 26 Jul 1937
      Tombstone Inscription: Spouse of Eliza Johanna HONEYBUN. Aged 86
      Plot Number: 6R-U-15/16
      Research Notes: Honeybun, EV
      Surname: Honeybun
      First Name: EV
      Address: Labounere Street
      Source: 1900 Juta's Directory
      Source Location: National Archives + National Library
      Transcriber: 2011

      DEPOT KAB
      SOURCE MOOC
      TYPE LEER
      VOLUME_NO 6/9/4946
      SYSTEM 01
      REFERENCE 55584
      PART 1
      DESCRIPTION HONEYBUN, EZEKIEL VALLANCE. ESTATE PAPERS.
      STARTING 19370000
      ENDING 19370000

      Noted events in his life were:

      * Reference Number: 8.
      * Voters Roll: Cape Town, Cape, South Africa. Honeybun, Ezechiel
      Surname: Honeybun
      First Names: Ezechiel
      Roll Number: 1200
      Occupation: Salesman
      Street Name And Number: 1 Gladstone Lodge, Labounere Street
      Qualifying Property Valuation: 400 pounds
      Number Of Votes Entitled: 1
      District: 4
      * He worked as a Salesman in 1902 in Cape Town, Cape, South
      Africa.

      Ezekiel married Elizabeth Johanna Larribal, daughter of Martin
      Clement
      Larribal and Margaret Stuart, before 1878. Elizabeth was born
      in
      1855 in , , Cape, South Africa, died on 31 Jul 1917 in , ,
      Cape,
      South Africa at age 62, and was buried in St. Peter's
      Cemetery,
      Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa. Other names for
      Elizabeth
      were Eliza Johanna Larribal, and Elizabeth Joanna Larribal.

      Noted events in her life were:

      * Reference Number: 9.
      * She has conflicting death information of 30 Jul 1917 and Cape
      Town,
      Cape, South Africa. Honeybun, Eliza Johanna
      Surname: Honeybun
      First Names: Eliza Johanna
      Initials: E.J
      Address: 17 Labournese Street, Cape Town
      Date Of Death: 30 Jul 1917
      ID: 4060
      Plot No: K8a
      Source: St. Peters Cemetery Observatory Registers
      Source Location: St. Peters Trust
      Transcriber: L. White
      F iii. Elizabeth Mary Honeybun was born on 9 Feb 1853.
      M iv. George Honeybun was born in Dec 1857 in Aliwal, Mossel Bay,
      Cape,
      South Africa and died on 11 Oct 1899 in Kimberley
      Hosp,
      Kimberley, Cape, South Africa at age 41.
      General Notes: Twin brother of Francis William HONEYBUN
      Research Notes: Died at the age of 43 years, 11 months. Survived by 5
      children. Mary and William were majors; Ethel, George and Sidney were
      minors.
      Source: Death Notice no. 428, filed 23 Feb 1900. Signed b

      George married Harriet Louisa Justine Fordyce. Harriet died about
      1928
      in , , , South Africa.
      M v. Francis William Honeybun was born in Dec 1857 in Aliwal,
      Mossel
      Bay, Cape, South Africa and died about 1924 about age
      67.
      General Notes: Twin brother of George Honeybun

      --------
      Sources

      1. India Office Records, British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa
      Collections
      (previously Oriental and India Office Library),

      http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/records.asp?cat=059-iorlmar_4&cid=1-1-189.
      2. Massachusetts Archives, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910,(From
      original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online
      database:
      NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society,
      2004)
      Year: 1856 Vol: 104 Page: 76 Type: Death.
      3. Massachusetts Archives, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910,(From
      original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online
      database:
      NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society,
      2004)
      Year: 1856 Vol: 104 Page: 91 Type: Death.
      4. Massachusetts Archives, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910,(From
      original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online
      database:
      NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society,
      2004)
      Year: 1852 Vol: 65 Page: 20 Type: Birth.
      5. National Archives and Records Service of South Africa, NAAIRS -
      National
      Automated Archival Information Retrieval System, Genealogical
      Society of
      SA Gravestone.