Re:Honeybun family and thanks to Christine

  • jamesteebee
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair HONEYBUN"
      <A.Honeybun@...> wrote:

      Hi Alastair and all other forum readers,

      A sudden frenzy of posting! Who knows? This month might top the
      lot.I'm prompted to write sooner than I imagined - and, in fact,
      I'm not going to attempt to recap what info we have on various
      Richards from the island just yet - by some of the recent postings.

      Alastair,

      It may just be me and my declining mental capacities, but it isn't
      clear to me whether Elizabeth Mittens was Ezekiel's first or second
      wife. I presume from the dates that she is a second wife, and that
      those Honeybuns who married into the families you listed were half-
      brothers and sisters of John and George. The alternative is that
      George and John were born out of wedlock with the interpretations of
      this fact which may ensue.
      Regarding Elizabeth, though, there is a Joseph Mittens listed in
      the 1814 census. He owned three cows and three calves but had no
      dependents and is not counted himself.
      You do not give dates regarding these other Honeybuns and their
      marriages, which is something that another poster has commented on,
      and with which I fully concur in that, in general, it makes a
      situation which is already uncertain even fuzzier. I presume, again,
      that we are talking about the middle decades of the 1800s. The
      Richards connection is of interest to me, though it is unlikely to
      have any link to my Richards ancestor, who was said to hail from
      Belfast, and I think there is a good chance that there may be a tie-
      in to Everett's great-grandmother's family. It would be nice if it
      worked out that way. Was it a male or female Honeybun marrying a
      Richards?

      Christine, I wanted to thank you for your post about the Chinese:
      you clarified some points on which I was totally ignorant - for
      example, I had foolishly imagined that these Chinese had remained on
      the island for thirty years or so each, when in fact they 'rotated'
      and stayed for far shorter periods. The Chinese were not slaves but
      indentured labourers, but what was in it for them? Why be taken to
      St Helena? Regarding the Chinese blood in the population, it is true
      Chinese features are evident in some faces you see in photos, but
      less than those of the other races who came together on the island.
      My original comment was really about the absurdity of the statistic
      according to which the people of SH today are of 25% Chinese, 25%
      white and 50% African blood. The last figure may be realistic, if
      the Madagascans are included - though they are very mixed, but the
      other figures disregard the presence of Indians and Malays
      completely.
      Regarding the French Yon connection, I'm not convinced, though
      clearly, it is not Chinese. Janisch speaks of Worrall's slave Yon
      recording an incident in the 1780s, I believe. Yon may be a French
      name with Huguenot connections, but even if there had been such a
      slave owner on the island, he would have had to own many slaves for
      the name to be so common today. My theory is that it is made-up like
      Scipio etc.

      Ally, as far as I know the Portuguese presence is limited to its
      first inhabitant. True, Portuguese sailors, like many others from
      many nations, must have come ashore.

      I'll end with a question. Out of curiosity does anybody know
      anything about the carpenter Bergquist who married a Yon in 1866?
      The name is Norwegian, I believe, and quite exotic for SH.

      Regards to all

      James

      > Hi James,
      >
      > My 2nd Great Grandfather george Honeybun was born 21 Apr 1816 on St
      > Helena. He moved to Cape Town sometime before 1847. He married Anne
      > Webster 22 Feb 1849 and they had five children all born in the
      Cape.

      > Interestingly George had a brother John b. 20 Jul 1811 who
      travelled to
      > Boston some time before 1852 as I recently established a marriage
      to a
      > Rachel ? B. abt 1813 Pennsylvania with a subsequent birth of a son
      in
      > 1852.
      >
      > Their father Ezekiel Valance Honeybun arrived in SH in 1793 from
      the UK.
      > He subsequently was promoted to Sgt Mjr of the St Helena Regiment
      in
      > 1807. He married Elizabeth Mittens in 1818 on SH.
      >
      > Some of the marriages amongst my SH ancestors include Yates,
      Sylvester,
      > Burnham, Price, McHugh, McLachlan, Wills, LeBreton, Richards, Sam,
      > Kendall, Buffin, Greenland, Robinson, Thomas and Williams.
      >
      > If any of these names are shared with any other SH researchers
      please
      > drop me a line.
      >

      > Regards
      >
      > Alastair
      > Perth
      > Western Australia

      you must not disclose or use the information contained within. If
      you have received it in error please return it to the sender via
      reply e-mail and delete any record of it from your system. The
      information contained within is not the opinion of Edith Cowan
      University in general and the University accepts no liability for
      the accuracy of the information provided.

      > CRICOS IPC 00279B

    • Alastair HONEYBUN
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 22, 2006
        Hi James (and forum readers),

        To clarify some of he queries. - I have no record (yet!) of a first
        marriage for Ezekiel, therefore one MAY assume the first borns were out
        of wedlock.

        Here is a expanded description of the St Helen Honeybun's.

        ================

        1. Ezekiel Valance Honeybun Snr was born in 1772. Another name for
        Ezekiel was
        Ezekial Honeybun.

        Noted events in his life were:

        * Departure: aboard the Princess Royal, 5 Apr 1793, Portsmouth,
        Hampshire, England. (1) Capt James Horncastle. Portsmouth 5 Apr
        1793 -
        11 Jul St Helena
        * Arrival: aboard the Princess Royal, 11 Jul 1793, St Helena
        Island. (1)
        Capt James Horncastle. Portsmouth 5 Apr 1793 - 11 Jul St Helena
        * He served in the military Entered the Service of the St Helena
        Regiment, as a Private Soldier in 1793.
        * He served in the military promoted to Sgt-Major in the St Helena

        Regiment in 1807. Sgt-major in the St Helena Regiment

        Ezekiel married Elizabeth Mittens, daughter of Joseph Mittens and
        Sophia
        Yates, on 18 Oct 1818 in St Helena Island. Elizabeth was born
        about 1794.
        Another name for Elizabeth was Mittons.

        Marriage Notes: St James' Church

        Children from this marriage were:
        2 M i. James Honeybun was born on 20 Jun 1811 in St Helena Island,
        was
        christened on 27 Sep 1811 in St Helena Island, and
        died in
        1856 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA (2) at
        age 45.
        3 M ii. Ezekiel Honeybun was born on 22 Jul 1813 in St Helena Island
        and
        was christened on 27 Feb 1814 in St Helena Island.
        4 M iii. George Honeybun was born on 21 Apr 1816 in St Helena Island,
        was
        christened on 20 Jun 1816 in St Helena Island, and
        died on 4
        Mar 1859 in Cullens Building, Buitenkant Street, Cape
        Town,
        South Africa at age 42.
        M iv. Thomas Valance Mittons Honeybun was born on 7 Sep 1818 in
        St
        Helena Island, was christened on 22 Oct 1818 in St
        Helena
        Island, and died in 1820 in St Helena Island at age
        2.
        General Notes: Baptised after his parents' marriage and recorded as the
        son of
        Ezekiel and Elizabeth Honeybun

        Noted events in his life were:

        M v. John Honeybun was born on 25 Feb 1823 in St Helena Island
        and was
        christened on 5 Apr 1823 in St Helena Island. Another
        name
        for John was John Honeybon.
        F vi. Margaret Honeybun was born in 1826 in St Helena Island.
        Another
        name for Margaret was Honeybon.
        F vii. Mary Elizabeth Honeybun was born in 1828 in St Helena
        Island.

        Second Generation (Children)

        2. James Honeybun was born on 20 Jun 1811 in St Helena Island, was
        christened
        on 27 Sep 1811 in St Helena Island, and died in 1856 in Boston,
        Suffolk,
        Massachusetts, USA (2) at age 45. The cause of his death was
        Consumption.(2)

        Noted events in his life were:

        * He worked as an Accountant in 1856 in Boston, Suffolk,
        Massachusetts,
        USA. (2)

        James married Rachel, daughter of James and Catharine. Rachel was born
        about
        1813 in , , Pennsylvania, USA (3) and died on 13 Dec 1856 in
        Boston,
        Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA (3) about age 43. The cause of her
        death was
        Consumption.(3)

        The child from this marriage was:
        M i. Ezekiel Honeybun(4) was born on 16 Apr 1852 in Boston,
        Suffolk,
        Massachusetts, USA.(4)

        3. Ezekiel Honeybun was born on 22 Jul 1813 in St Helena Island and was

        christened on 27 Feb 1814 in St Helena Island.

        Ezekiel married Margaret Williams.

        The child from this marriage was:
        F i. Honeybun was born on 7 Aug 1863 in St Helena Island.
        General Notes: St Helena birth register for 7 August 1863 - No. 1102 -
        no name
        - female - Ezekiel Honeybun (Labourer)/Margaret Williams. (Informant
        Sarah
        Jonas - signed by mark - on 15 September).
        Note: Many babies had no names - births appeared to be notified by the
        midwife
        who would register births en masse sometimes months after the actual
        births.

        4. George Honeybun was born on 21 Apr 1816 in St Helena Island, was
        christened
        on 20 Jun 1816 in St Helena Island, and died on 4 Mar 1859 in
        Cullens
        Building, Buitenkant Street, Cape Town, South Africa at age 42.

        General Notes: Left
        Cash sufficient to bury him

        Source: Death Notice no. 5869, filed 12 March 1839. Signed by Ann
        Honeybun.

        George married Anne Webster, daughter of John Webster and Alice
        Burden, on 22
        Feb 1847 in St Georges Church, Cape Town, South Africa. Anne was
        christened on 22 Aug 1819 in Old Ch St, Pancreas, London, England,
        died
        on 28 Nov 1901 in Cape Town, Cape, South Africa at age 82, and was
        buried
        in Cape Town, Cape, South Africa.(5)

        Noted events in her life were:

        * She resided at Kinnerton Street in 1831 in London, Middlesex,
        England.

        Children from this marriage were:
        F i. Alice Honeybun was born on 4 Jan 1849.
        M ii. Ezekiel Valance Honeybun Jnr was born on 30 Mar 1851 in
        Cape Town,
        Cape, South Africa, was christened on 26 Sep 1851 in
        Cathedral Church, Cape Town, Cape, South Africa, died
        on 26
        Jul 1937 in Cape Town, Cape, South Africa at age 86,
        and was
        buried in St. Peter's Cemetery, Observatory, Cape
        Town,
        South Africa. Other names for Ezekiel were Ezekiel
        Valence
        Honeybun, and Ezekiel Vallance Honeybun.
        Christening Notes:Honeybun, Ezekiel Valence
        Surname: Honeybun
        First Names: Ezekiel Valence
        Gender: M
        Parents: George
        Baptised Date: 26 September 1851
        Minister: Rev WA Newman
        Location: Cathedral Church, Cape Town
        Notes: Fathers title and occupation: Mr
        Source: Cape Government Gazette of 2 October 1851
        Transcriber: 2117
        Burial Notes: Honeybun, Ezekiel Vallance
        Surname: Honeybun
        First Names: Ezekiel Vallance
        ID: 1699
        Date Of Death: 26 Jul 1937
        Tombstone Inscription: Spouse of Eliza Johanna HONEYBUN. Aged 86
        Plot Number: 6R-U-15/16
        Research Notes: Honeybun, EV
        Surname: Honeybun
        First Name: EV
        Address: Labounere Street
        Source: 1900 Juta's Directory
        Source Location: National Archives + National Library
        Transcriber: 2011

        DEPOT KAB
        SOURCE MOOC
        TYPE LEER
        VOLUME_NO 6/9/4946
        SYSTEM 01
        REFERENCE 55584
        PART 1
        DESCRIPTION HONEYBUN, EZEKIEL VALLANCE. ESTATE PAPERS.
        STARTING 19370000
        ENDING 19370000

        Noted events in his life were:

        * Reference Number: 8.
        * Voters Roll: Cape Town, Cape, South Africa. Honeybun, Ezechiel
        Surname: Honeybun
        First Names: Ezechiel
        Roll Number: 1200
        Occupation: Salesman
        Street Name And Number: 1 Gladstone Lodge, Labounere Street
        Qualifying Property Valuation: 400 pounds
        Number Of Votes Entitled: 1
        District: 4
        * He worked as a Salesman in 1902 in Cape Town, Cape, South
        Africa.

        Ezekiel married Elizabeth Johanna Larribal, daughter of Martin
        Clement
        Larribal and Margaret Stuart, before 1878. Elizabeth was born
        in
        1855 in , , Cape, South Africa, died on 31 Jul 1917 in , ,
        Cape,
        South Africa at age 62, and was buried in St. Peter's
        Cemetery,
        Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa. Other names for
        Elizabeth
        were Eliza Johanna Larribal, and Elizabeth Joanna Larribal.

        Noted events in her life were:

        * Reference Number: 9.
        * She has conflicting death information of 30 Jul 1917 and Cape
        Town,
        Cape, South Africa. Honeybun, Eliza Johanna
        Surname: Honeybun
        First Names: Eliza Johanna
        Initials: E.J
        Address: 17 Labournese Street, Cape Town
        Date Of Death: 30 Jul 1917
        ID: 4060
        Plot No: K8a
        Source: St. Peters Cemetery Observatory Registers
        Source Location: St. Peters Trust
        Transcriber: L. White
        F iii. Elizabeth Mary Honeybun was born on 9 Feb 1853.
        M iv. George Honeybun was born in Dec 1857 in Aliwal, Mossel Bay,
        Cape,
        South Africa and died on 11 Oct 1899 in Kimberley
        Hosp,
        Kimberley, Cape, South Africa at age 41.
        General Notes: Twin brother of Francis William HONEYBUN
        Research Notes: Died at the age of 43 years, 11 months. Survived by 5
        children. Mary and William were majors; Ethel, George and Sidney were
        minors.
        Source: Death Notice no. 428, filed 23 Feb 1900. Signed b

        George married Harriet Louisa Justine Fordyce. Harriet died about
        1928
        in , , , South Africa.
        M v. Francis William Honeybun was born in Dec 1857 in Aliwal,
        Mossel
        Bay, Cape, South Africa and died about 1924 about age
        67.
        General Notes: Twin brother of George Honeybun

        --------
        Sources

        1. India Office Records, British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa
        Collections
        (previously Oriental and India Office Library),

        http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/records.asp?cat=059-iorlmar_4&cid=1-1-189.
        2. Massachusetts Archives, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910,(From
        original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online
        database:
        NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society,
        2004)
        Year: 1856 Vol: 104 Page: 76 Type: Death.
        3. Massachusetts Archives, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910,(From
        original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online
        database:
        NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society,
        2004)
        Year: 1856 Vol: 104 Page: 91 Type: Death.
        4. Massachusetts Archives, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910,(From
        original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online
        database:
        NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society,
        2004)
        Year: 1852 Vol: 65 Page: 20 Type: Birth.
        5. National Archives and Records Service of South Africa, NAAIRS -
        National
        Automated Archival Information Retrieval System, Genealogical
        Society of
        SA Gravestone.