RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Traders or merchants on St Helena 1800 to 1830.

  • Christine Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2006
      Caroline-

      I've not been following the list very closely for some time, so please
      forgive me is this information is redundant, or is information you already
      have.
      If I had any interest at all in this time period (which I did), I would make
      every effort to obtain at least some of the LDS films for the East India
      Company Consultations of the time period. Until you've read some of them,
      you really can't grasp how much minutiae they concerned themselves with, and
      how many of the residents ended up before the Council for one thing or
      another. It's a rare opportunity to read (plowing through the handwriting)
      about the everyday life of specific persons of no real reknown.
      Balcombe is a name that is prominent in the writings of the period, as you
      probably know. Napolean stayed at the Balcombe home for a period of time
      before being moved to Longwood. Betsy Balcombe, who was about 13, had
      substantial recollection of her interactions with him. I was interested in
      that, because there is one little line in Napolean's diary about Betsy and
      the "little Legg girl" visiting with him. I like to think that perhaps that
      Legg girl was a member of my Legg family - why I don't know - tiny claim to
      fame I guess.
      According to Julia Blackburn, in her book, "The Emperor's Last Island, A
      Journey to St. Helena," Betsy kept a "diary" of sorts during the first three
      years of Napolean's captivity. Different St. Helena scholars have denied the
      existence of it, but Blackburn says it is held in the archive department of
      an art gallery in Melbourne, Australia. Unfortunately, she never gives any
      more specific information. She does say that it's sketchy, sometimes
      skipping whole months, sometimes concerning herself only with a dress she
      wants, but it does also contain notes about Napolean.
      As an older woman, Betsy Balcombe wrote a book under the name "Mrs. L.E.
      Abell." It is entitled "Recollections of the Emperor Napolean during the
      first three years of his captivity." and was published in 1944 by John
      Murray [pub.] in London. I'm sure you can't find it on Amazon.com! Depending
      who you consult, some scholars dismiss Betsy's recollections as "fantasies
      and wishful thinking" and other believe her accounts of interactions with
      Napolean to be reasonably accurate.

      In answer to your question about what might be "illegal" at that time -
      could be just about anything the EIC decided they should control. The
      locally produced liquor is a substance called arrack -strong spirits made
      traditionally from fermented fruit juices, and sap of palm tree, and it was
      frequently being bootlegged.
      There was a market for illegal firearms.
      Depending on which items were in shortage at any given time, the Council
      would undertake to strictly control and regulate their distribution. At one
      time, cotton thread was a very scarce commodity. I seem to recall that salt
      supplies could be exhausted.

      I checked my own database for any mention of the surnames you listed, but
      found none.

      Christine

    • Caroline Gaden
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
        Christine many thanks for your input. I have plenty of information about
        Betsey Balcombe and her friendship with Napoleon, I've even bought the
        'recollections' book. Melbourne claims not to have any diary... some
        extensive questions have been asked by our group of Balcombe researchers!!
        William Balcombe is my husband's several-greats grandfather. I am interested
        in his 'work' on the Island... when he arrived, who he was in partnership
        with as a merchant, what trading he did and so on. I believe his brothers in
        law Thomas Hornsby and Teavil Leason may have spent some time on St Helena
        too.
        Many thanks for your suggestion re the EIC films from the LDS. I will order
        them
        Cheers
        Caroline
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2006

          Caroline, Re your note below. I would be very grateful if you keep an eye open for any mention of James or Eleanor Bennett during your researches into the Balcombe family. The Bennetts lived at Chubbs Spring from 1814 to 1825 (and then Maldivia) and would have been very close neighbours of the Balcombes. Betsey never mentions them in her book but there may be refer

          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)