RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ship Names/Passenger Lists ENG --> St Helena c.1793

  • colin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2004

      I would guess that the P stood for ‘Princess’. The following website gives the names of the ships in the EIC service

      http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/EICintro.htm . Sadly for my theory, the last ship of that name went out of service in 1792 so unless your dates are out by a year, this doesn’t fit. I notice on your subject line you use circa 1793 so possibly it is still OK.

      There are some passenger lists available in the India Office section of the BL and I would guess that they may be on LDS microfilm. You might even find that the ship’s log book is still available. I can’t give you any details.

      Regards

      Colin Fox

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
        Hi Colin,

        Thanks for your response. I did find another web page at:

        Which indicates that the Princess Royal was scrapped in 1807:

        "PRINCESS ROYAL,90. (1773 Portsmouth. BU 1807)
        "

        Regards

        Alastair