st helena artillery +

  • micheledasey
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2006
      Hi all
      This is my first posting to this list. I live in a remote mining town in NSW, Broken Hill,
      although Broken Hill is not tiny (20,000 people) it is rather isolated. My only source for my
      research is through the net. I am researching my husbands family who spent some time on
      St Helena.

      I hope that either someone can help me with some information or the place where I could
      access the information.

      I am after the family of Thomas Dacey (also spelt Deasey in muster records)

      Thomas was born around 1789 and according to the St Helena muster records in Dublin.
      He was married when he came to St Helena to Eleanor Moreley.

      Thomas came to St Helena in 1814 in the Glatton. He first appeared in the muster records
      in the company of Thomas J B Coles in the Oct to Dec 1/4 of 1814 as a Mattrop. He
      appeared to remain in Thomas Coles artillery company but did not seem to be recorded
      during 1815 However he reappeared for all of 1816 to the last quarter of 1818 where he
      was recorded as Thomas Deasey.

      He had had at least one child on St Helena William James Dacey born in 1814 (Vol 2 Page
      104). The family say that he was born at Longwood but the BMD doesnt record this

      It seems he had at least one more child Michael born in 1818 (Page 176 Vol 2) on Nov
      27th and recorded with the spelling of Deasey

      I have not been able to trace any record of Thomas or Eleanor in Britain but have found 1
      other possible child born on St Helena ellen Deasey around 1821 although this is not
      confirmed in the index of St Helena BMD

      My queries are:
      1. Is there some records surviving that indicate that Thomas and family stayed on in St
      Helena. (William James turns up in England at the age of 13 charged with theft and then
      again the following year and was sentenced to transportation

      2. Are there records indicating what Thomas did if he stayed on St Helena or is there a
      record of people leaving St Helena

      3. I thought Longwood was a residence yet James William was said to be born there, What
      could the reason be.

      4. Is there any records of the activity of the St Helena artillery during the period of time
      mentioned.

      I hope you are able to help me and thank you for a reply in advance.
      Michele Dasey
      Broken Hill
      NSW 2880