Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] More about other Richards

  • james brookes
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2006
      Hi Everett,

      Just a note to say that all I remember, in as much as it concerns the Saint Helena Family History forum, is that your great-grandmother Elizabeth arrived in New Bedford on a whaling ship from Saint Helena in the 1860s, if memory serves. Perhaps the confusion concerns my comment about the Portuguese.
      The Portuguese, especially from the Azores, were very much involved in the whaling industry at this time. My comment referred to something you said regarding an idea in your family that there was Portuguese blood - something feasible given the Portuguese presence on the New England coast, and which would explain the dark complexions of some in your family. Likewise, before I understood my grandfather's origins better, I believed he probably had Portuguese blood because of the Portuguese presence in Southern Africa, : my grandfather was born in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa, where his mother had emigrated from Saint Helena in 1903. It had never occurred to me that my ancestors were not Europeans, hence the imagined Portuguese connection, and I grew up seeing myself as a descendant of colonists rather than colonised.
      As regards the anecdotes, yes, I have read them. I must say that reading the material available has brought home to me the injustices suffered by those who were not masters. Inequalities exist still, of course, in our western world, but nothing like those of past centuries: not only the slaves who were stolen away from their homes and cast on to a remote and desolate rock - and expected to be grateful! - but also the soldiers, who probably had no idea of where they were going  - at least, though, they knew they could return home, I suppose. All but the few were illiterate and at the whim of people who considered them their inferiors.
      Reading, too , snippets of information from genealogy sites on the internet provides insights into the harshness of life at the time. This morning I read two references to a soldier in the Saint Helena Artillery; Edward Doolan, like many soldiers in the British Armed Forces at the time, an Irishman, married a Margaret Stewart on 6th June 1826; he died 3rd December of the same year. He was 29 years old. His widow married another soldier from the SHA, Patrick Griffy, the following spring.
      In my next post I will try to recap on the various Richards that have been mentioned by other forum readers as well as those that I have come across.

      All the best

      James

      Faltus <faltus@...> wrote:
      Hello James,

      After reading your latest message, I noticed you may have misunderstood my lineage (especially on the male side). It was my great grandmother that came to New Bedford from St. Helena.

      My mother's father (My grandfather Everett C. MORSE) was a direct descendent from William MORSE who arrived from England on the ship James in 1635 and settled in Newbury, MASS. His lineage verifies the marriages of the MORSE families to six descendants of the Mayflower arrivals.

      My Great Grandmother (Elizabeth Richards) was the individual who arrived in New Bedford from St. Helena and her daughter (Minnie Louise WHITE) my grandmother, married Everett C. MORSE.

      I did not mean to lead you astray.

      It is odd how such a small place as St. Helena has stories about a person bringing 5 myna birds from India and how they got loose (or were released) and have taken over the island and how Saul Solomon died while on a trip to England and how his family (I believe it was his daughter) had him put into a barrell of whiskey and taken back to the island for burial because that is where he wanted to be laid to rest.

      Have you examined any of these stories yet?

      Thanks for all your answers.

      Everett