RE: descendants of Saints who settled in Cape Colony

  • Alastair HONEYBUN
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2006
      Hi James,

      My 2nd Great Grandfather george Honeybun was born 21 Apr 1816 on St
      Helena. He moved to Cape Town sometime before 1847. He married Anne
      Webster 22 Feb 1849 and they had five children all born in the Cape.

      Interestingly George had a brother John b. 20 Jul 1811 who travelled to
      Boston some time before 1852 as I recently established a marriage to a
      Rachel ? B. abt 1813 Pennsylvania with a subsequent birth of a son in
      1852.

      Their father Ezekiel Valance Honeybun arrived in SH in 1793 from the UK.
      He subsequently was promoted to Sgt Mjr of the St Helena Regiment in
      1807. He married Elizabeth Mittens in 1818 on SH.

      Some of the marriages amongst my SH ancestors include Yates, Sylvester,
      Burnham, Price, McHugh, McLachlan, Wills, LeBreton, Richards, Sam,
      Kendall, Buffin, Greenland, Robinson, Thomas and Williams.

      If any of these names are shared with any other SH researchers please
      drop me a line.

      Regards

      Alastair
      Perth
      Western Australia

      <snip>

      > Regards.
      >
      > James

    • jamesteebee
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair HONEYBUN"
        <A.Honeybun@...> wrote:

        Hi Alastair and all other forum readers,

        A sudden frenzy of posting! Who knows? This month might top the
        lot.I'm prompted to write sooner than I imagined - and, in fact,
        I'm not going to attempt to recap what info we have on various
        Richards from the island just yet - by some of the recent postings.

        Alastair,

        It may just be me and my declining mental capacities, but it isn't
        clear to me whether Elizabeth Mittens was Ezekiel's first or second
        wife. I presume from the dates that she is a second wife, and that
        those Honeybuns who married into the families you listed were half-
        brothers and sisters of John and George. The alternative is that
        George and John were born out of wedlock with the interpretations of
        this fact which may ensue.
        Regarding Elizabeth, though, there is a Joseph Mittens listed in
        the 1814 census. He owned three cows and three calves but had no
        dependents and is not counted himself.
        You do not give dates regarding these other Honeybuns and their
        marriages, which is something that another poster has commented on,
        and with which I fully concur in that, in general, it makes a
        situation which is already uncertain even fuzzier. I presume, again,
        that we are talking about the middle decades of the 1800s. The
        Richards connection is of interest to me, though it is unlikely to
        have any link to my Richards ancestor, who was said to hail from
        Belfast, and I think there is a good chance that there may be a tie-
        in to Everett's great-grandmother's family. It would be nice if it
        worked out that way. Was it a male or female Honeybun marrying a
        Richards?

        Christine, I wanted to thank you for your post about the Chinese:
        you clarified some points on which I was totally ignorant - for
        example, I had foolishly imagined that these Chinese had remained on
        the island for thirty years or so each, when in fact they 'rotated'
        and stayed for far shorter periods. The Chinese were not slaves but
        indentured labourers, but what was in it for them? Why be taken to
        St Helena? Regarding the Chinese blood in the population, it is true
        Chinese features are evident in some faces you see in photos, but
        less than those of the other races who came together on the island.
        My original comment was really about the absurdity of the statistic
        according to which the people of SH today are of 25% Chinese, 25%
        white and 50% African blood. The last figure may be realistic, if
        the Madagascans are included - though they are very mixed, but the
        other figures disregard the presence of Indians and Malays
        completely.
        Regarding the French Yon connection, I'm not convinced, though
        clearly, it is not Chinese. Janisch speaks of Worrall's slave Yon
        recording an incident in the 1780s, I believe. Yon may be a French
        name with Huguenot connections, but even if there had been such a
        slave owner on the island, he would have had to own many slaves for
        the name to be so common today. My theory is that it is made-up like
        Scipio etc.

        Ally, as far as I know the Portuguese presence is limited to its
        first inhabitant. True, Portuguese sailors, like many others from
        many nations, must have come ashore.

        I'll end with a question. Out of curiosity does anybody know
        anything about the carpenter Bergquist who married a Yon in 1866?
        The name is Norwegian, I believe, and quite exotic for SH.

        Regards to all

        James

        > Hi James,
        >
        > My 2nd Great Grandfather george Honeybun was born 21 Apr 1816 on St
        > Helena. He moved to Cape Town sometime before 1847. He married Anne
        > Webster 22 Feb 1849 and they had five children all born in the
        Cape.

        > Interestingly George had a brother John b. 20 Jul 1811 who
        travelled to
        > Boston some time before 1852 as I recently established a marriage
        to a
        > Rachel ? B. abt 1813 Pennsylvania with a subsequent birth of a son
        in
        > 1852.
        >
        > Their father Ezekiel Valance Honeybun arrived in SH in 1793 from
        the UK.
        > He subsequently was promoted to Sgt Mjr of the St Helena Regiment
        in
        > 1807. He married Elizabeth Mittens in 1818 on SH.
        >
        > Some of the marriages amongst my SH ancestors include Yates,
        Sylvester,
        > Burnham, Price, McHugh, McLachlan, Wills, LeBreton, Richards, Sam,
        > Kendall, Buffin, Greenland, Robinson, Thomas and Williams.
        >
        > If any of these names are shared with any other SH researchers
        please
        > drop me a line.
        >

        > Regards
        >
        > Alastair
        > Perth
        > Western Australia

        you must not disclose or use the information contained within. If
        you have received it in error please return it to the sender via
        reply e-mail and delete any record of it from your system. The
        information contained within is not the opinion of Edith Cowan
        University in general and the University accepts no liability for
        the accuracy of the information provided.

        > CRICOS IPC 00279B

      • Alastair HONEYBUN
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 22, 2006
          Hi James (and forum readers),

          To clarify some of he queries. - I have no record (yet!) of a first
          marriage for Ezekiel, therefore one MAY assume the first borns were out
          of wedlock.

          Here is a expanded description of the St Helen Honeybun's.

          ================

          1. Ezekiel Valance Honeybun Snr was born in 1772. Another name for
          Ezekiel was
          Ezekial Honeybun.

          Noted events in his life were:

          * Departure: aboard the Princess Royal, 5 Apr 1793, Portsmouth,
          Hampshire, England. (1) Capt James Horncastle. Portsmouth 5 Apr
          1793 -
          11 Jul St Helena
          * Arrival: aboard the Princess Royal, 11 Jul 1793, St Helena
          Island. (1)
          Capt James Horncastle. Portsmouth 5 Apr 1793 - 11 Jul St Helena
          * He served in the military Entered the Service of the St Helena
          Regiment, as a Private Soldier in 1793.
          * He served in the military promoted to Sgt-Major in the St Helena

          Regiment in 1807. Sgt-major in the St Helena Regiment

          Ezekiel married Elizabeth Mittens, daughter of Joseph Mittens and
          Sophia
          Yates, on 18 Oct 1818 in St Helena Island. Elizabeth was born
          about 1794.
          Another name for Elizabeth was Mittons.

          Marriage Notes: St James' Church

          Children from this marriage were:
          2 M i. James Honeybun was born on 20 Jun 1811 in St Helena Island,
          was
          christened on 27 Sep 1811 in St Helena Island, and
          died in
          1856 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA (2) at
          age 45.
          3 M ii. Ezekiel Honeybun was born on 22 Jul 1813 in St Helena Island
          and
          was christened on 27 Feb 1814 in St Helena Island.
          4 M iii. George Honeybun was born on 21 Apr 1816 in St Helena Island,
          was
          christened on 20 Jun 1816 in St Helena Island, and
          died on 4
          Mar 1859 in Cullens Building, Buitenkant Street, Cape
          Town,
          South Africa at age 42.
          M iv. Thomas Valance Mittons Honeybun was born on 7 Sep 1818 in
          St
          Helena Island, was christened on 22 Oct 1818 in St
          Helena
          Island, and died in 1820 in St Helena Island at age
          2.
          General Notes: Baptised after his parents' marriage and recorded as the
          son of
          Ezekiel and Elizabeth Honeybun

          Noted events in his life were:

          M v. John Honeybun was born on 25 Feb 1823 in St Helena Island
          and was
          christened on 5 Apr 1823 in St Helena Island. Another
          name
          for John was John Honeybon.
          F vi. Margaret Honeybun was born in 1826 in St Helena Island.
          Another
          name for Margaret was Honeybon.
          F vii. Mary Elizabeth Honeybun was born in 1828 in St Helena
          Island.

          Second Generation (Children)

          2. James Honeybun was born on 20 Jun 1811 in St Helena Island, was
          christened
          on 27 Sep 1811 in St Helena Island, and died in 1856 in Boston,
          Suffolk,
          Massachusetts, USA (2) at age 45. The cause of his death was
          Consumption.(2)

          Noted events in his life were:

          * He worked as an Accountant in 1856 in Boston, Suffolk,
          Massachusetts,
          USA. (2)

          James married Rachel, daughter of James and Catharine. Rachel was born
          about
          1813 in , , Pennsylvania, USA (3) and died on 13 Dec 1856 in
          Boston,
          Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA (3) about age 43. The cause of her
          death was
          Consumption.(3)

          The child from this marriage was:
          M i. Ezekiel Honeybun(4) was born on 16 Apr 1852 in Boston,
          Suffolk,
          Massachusetts, USA.(4)

          3. Ezekiel Honeybun was born on 22 Jul 1813 in St Helena Island and was

          christened on 27 Feb 1814 in St Helena Island.

          Ezekiel married Margaret Williams.

          The child from this marriage was:
          F i. Honeybun was born on 7 Aug 1863 in St Helena Island.
          General Notes: St Helena birth register for 7 August 1863 - No. 1102 -
          no name
          - female - Ezekiel Honeybun (Labourer)/Margaret Williams. (Informant
          Sarah
          Jonas - signed by mark - on 15 September).
          Note: Many babies had no names - births appeared to be notified by the
          midwife
          who would register births en masse sometimes months after the actual
          births.

          4. George Honeybun was born on 21 Apr 1816 in St Helena Island, was
          christened
          on 20 Jun 1816 in St Helena Island, and died on 4 Mar 1859 in
          Cullens
          Building, Buitenkant Street, Cape Town, South Africa at age 42.

          General Notes: Left
          Cash sufficient to bury him

          Source: Death Notice no. 5869, filed 12 March 1839. Signed by Ann
          Honeybun.

          George married Anne Webster, daughter of John Webster and Alice
          Burden, on 22
          Feb 1847 in St Georges Church, Cape Town, South Africa. Anne was
          christened on 22 Aug 1819 in Old Ch St, Pancreas, London, England,
          died
          on 28 Nov 1901 in Cape Town, Cape, South Africa at age 82, and was
          buried
          in Cape Town, Cape, South Africa.(5)

          Noted events in her life were:

          * She resided at Kinnerton Street in 1831 in London, Middlesex,
          England.

          Children from this marriage were:
          F i. Alice Honeybun was born on 4 Jan 1849.
          M ii. Ezekiel Valance Honeybun Jnr was born on 30 Mar 1851 in
          Cape Town,
          Cape, South Africa, was christened on 26 Sep 1851 in
          Cathedral Church, Cape Town, Cape, South Africa, died
          on 26
          Jul 1937 in Cape Town, Cape, South Africa at age 86,
          and was
          buried in St. Peter's Cemetery, Observatory, Cape
          Town,
          South Africa. Other names for Ezekiel were Ezekiel
          Valence
          Honeybun, and Ezekiel Vallance Honeybun.
          Christening Notes:Honeybun, Ezekiel Valence
          Surname: Honeybun
          First Names: Ezekiel Valence
          Gender: M
          Parents: George
          Baptised Date: 26 September 1851
          Minister: Rev WA Newman
          Location: Cathedral Church, Cape Town
          Notes: Fathers title and occupation: Mr
          Source: Cape Government Gazette of 2 October 1851
          Transcriber: 2117
          Burial Notes: Honeybun, Ezekiel Vallance
          Surname: Honeybun
          First Names: Ezekiel Vallance
          ID: 1699
          Date Of Death: 26 Jul 1937
          Tombstone Inscription: Spouse of Eliza Johanna HONEYBUN. Aged 86
          Plot Number: 6R-U-15/16
          Research Notes: Honeybun, EV
          Surname: Honeybun
          First Name: EV
          Address: Labounere Street
          Source: 1900 Juta's Directory
          Source Location: National Archives + National Library
          Transcriber: 2011

          DEPOT KAB
          SOURCE MOOC
          TYPE LEER
          VOLUME_NO 6/9/4946
          SYSTEM 01
          REFERENCE 55584
          PART 1
          DESCRIPTION HONEYBUN, EZEKIEL VALLANCE. ESTATE PAPERS.
          STARTING 19370000
          ENDING 19370000

          Noted events in his life were:

          * Reference Number: 8.
          * Voters Roll: Cape Town, Cape, South Africa. Honeybun, Ezechiel
          Surname: Honeybun
          First Names: Ezechiel
          Roll Number: 1200
          Occupation: Salesman
          Street Name And Number: 1 Gladstone Lodge, Labounere Street
          Qualifying Property Valuation: 400 pounds
          Number Of Votes Entitled: 1
          District: 4
          * He worked as a Salesman in 1902 in Cape Town, Cape, South
          Africa.

          Ezekiel married Elizabeth Johanna Larribal, daughter of Martin
          Clement
          Larribal and Margaret Stuart, before 1878. Elizabeth was born
          in
          1855 in , , Cape, South Africa, died on 31 Jul 1917 in , ,
          Cape,
          South Africa at age 62, and was buried in St. Peter's
          Cemetery,
          Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa. Other names for
          Elizabeth
          were Eliza Johanna Larribal, and Elizabeth Joanna Larribal.

          Noted events in her life were:

          * Reference Number: 9.
          * She has conflicting death information of 30 Jul 1917 and Cape
          Town,
          Cape, South Africa. Honeybun, Eliza Johanna
          Surname: Honeybun
          First Names: Eliza Johanna
          Initials: E.J
          Address: 17 Labournese Street, Cape Town
          Date Of Death: 30 Jul 1917
          ID: 4060
          Plot No: K8a
          Source: St. Peters Cemetery Observatory Registers
          Source Location: St. Peters Trust
          Transcriber: L. White
          F iii. Elizabeth Mary Honeybun was born on 9 Feb 1853.
          M iv. George Honeybun was born in Dec 1857 in Aliwal, Mossel Bay,
          Cape,
          South Africa and died on 11 Oct 1899 in Kimberley
          Hosp,
          Kimberley, Cape, South Africa at age 41.
          General Notes: Twin brother of Francis William HONEYBUN
          Research Notes: Died at the age of 43 years, 11 months. Survived by 5
          children. Mary and William were majors; Ethel, George and Sidney were
          minors.
          Source: Death Notice no. 428, filed 23 Feb 1900. Signed b

          George married Harriet Louisa Justine Fordyce. Harriet died about
          1928
          in , , , South Africa.
          M v. Francis William Honeybun was born in Dec 1857 in Aliwal,
          Mossel
          Bay, Cape, South Africa and died about 1924 about age
          67.
          General Notes: Twin brother of George Honeybun

          --------
          Sources

          1. India Office Records, British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa
          Collections
          (previously Oriental and India Office Library),

          http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/records.asp?cat=059-iorlmar_4&cid=1-1-189.
          2. Massachusetts Archives, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910,(From
          original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online
          database:
          NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society,
          2004)
          Year: 1856 Vol: 104 Page: 76 Type: Death.
          3. Massachusetts Archives, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910,(From
          original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online
          database:
          NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society,
          2004)
          Year: 1856 Vol: 104 Page: 91 Type: Death.
          4. Massachusetts Archives, Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910,(From
          original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online
          database:
          NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society,
          2004)
          Year: 1852 Vol: 65 Page: 20 Type: Birth.
          5. National Archives and Records Service of South Africa, NAAIRS -
          National
          Automated Archival Information Retrieval System, Genealogical
          Society of
          SA Gravestone.