Ship Names/Passenger Lists ENG --> St Helena c.1793

  • Alastair HONEYBUN
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2004
      Hi,

      I have established that my GGGG Father arrived in St Helena in 1793
      aboard a ship called "P_____ Royal"

      1. Can anyone identify the "P" word for me?

      2. To confirm the date of travel are there passenger lists for this ship
      and date?

      I obtained this information by laboriously looking through the microfilm
      of the St Helena East India Co. Military Musters and Pensions at the
      local LDS Family History Centre.
    • colin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2004

        I would guess that the P stood for ‘Princess’. The following website gives the names of the ships in the EIC service

        http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/EICintro.htm . Sadly for my theory, the last ship of that name went out of service in 1792 so unless your dates are out by a year, this doesn’t fit. I notice on your subject line you use circa 1793 so possibly it is still OK.

        There are some passenger lists available in the India Office section of the BL and I would guess that they may be on LDS microfilm. You might even find that the ship’s log book is still available. I can’t give you any details.

        Regards

        Colin Fox

        I have established that my GGGG Father arrived in St Helena in 1793
        aboard a ship called "P_____ Royal"

        1. Can anyone identify the "P" word for me?

        2. To confirm the date of travel are there passenger lists for this ship
        and date?

        I obtained this information by laboriously looking through the microfilm
        of the St Helena East India Co. Military Musters and Pensions at the
        local LDS Family History Centre.

        http://www.st-helena.org

      • Alastair HONEYBUN
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
          Hi Colin,

          Thanks for your response. I did find another web page at:

          Which indicates that the Princess Royal was scrapped in 1807:

          "PRINCESS ROYAL,90. (1773 Portsmouth. BU 1807)
          "

          Regards

          Alastair